• Welcome to the Two Wheeled Texans community! Feel free to hang out and lurk as long as you like. However, we would like to encourage you to register so that you can join the community and use the numerous features on the site. After registering, don't forget to post up an introduction!

Pilgrimage to Pilgram Road ... and beyond?

Reaction score
I sit here shifting my view from staring at the bike to staring at the computer and back (side note: I wrote most of this lastnight). I ask myself “am I really ready for something like this?” as I realize there are only around a hundred hours left until I’ll throw my leg over it, and be gone for, well, what seems now forever, but what I’m sure will feel like “no-time-at-all” when it is over.

“Why am I going?” I have to wonder. Officially, because I am being laid off (the whole facility I am working at is being closed). “But, shouldn’t you be saving your money and looking for a new job” you comment back, poking the sore spot in my side. Well yes, I should; however, originally I was to be laid off in July, and now it’s been pushed to basically October. Which, as I work in environmental health and safety, means my major work load to close the place suddenly stops as they extend operation for two months. Additionally, I haven’t taken a vacation that I can remember, and I’ve been maxed out at 4.5 weeks since July of last year, so I’ve been losing this valuable commodity. Beyond that in the last 5 weeks, I’ve been averaging 6 days a week at 12 hours a day of work. And as I know I can’t really take any major time after I get laid off, and of course when I start a new job, will be quite some time. So it is a vacation I need to take. (Btw, if you know anyone looking for EH&S / Radiation Safety personnel with firefighting/emt experience, medical device experience, etc, in Clear-Lake, Houston, or Austin, I’m looking). “Unofficial reasons?” you inquire. Well many, I suppose. Perhaps one of them is my dad talked fondly of his youthful years riding his motorcycle all over creation (including the Grand Canyon, of which many pictures he took still hang around his house); while I’ve been riding some 10+ years now, I only bought a new bike that I don’t feel will strand me on the side of the road a year ago (not that I didn’t like working on my old bike, but working on it more than riding got old, especially since I apparently have become a workaholic). Partly because I feel like I somehow missed the chance with my near continuous schooling (through masters) that took me into 2007 (around which I worked with the fire department or medical device manufacturing) and then immediately took up a very demanding job to correct a facility that had not really had EH&S support for 25 years. And partly, because, well, the roads are there.

“So just where you think your going?” you jab. I don’t know, really. I had been dreaming of an all 48 trip jaunt, after reading Rollin’s 48 states in 10 days iron-butt ride done on a Victory Vegas in 2008. Of course I wanted a vacation, not a 900-1000 mile a day killer; and also read the 50 states in 50 days (I think it was). So I played around, and began looking at maps and playing around, and one theme came to mind; the great journey home. Not for me, but my bike. My father always talked about how he would like ride his Harley all the way “home” to Wisconsin; however due to cancer he hardly rides his bike now. So I’ve pretty much set on taking my bike back to Kansas City’s manufacturing plant, and then ride into Milwaukee to visit the museum, et al., and buy a rivet (if they are still available). Only other thing on my must do is go to Xenia, OH, just to “get it out of the way” (it was the only city letter I didn’t get last year). So I threw together a complex map of many things, looked at the longest road way around, and decided averaging 300-350 a day, I’d ask for (and get) 3 weeks vacation (which actually is more, because it goes through the May 31st holiday), so actually 24 days (approximately). So this is what I came up with:

planstuffv2.jpg

“But that’s all inter-state! Get off the super slab!” you yell. Well, yes the outline is. It will really depend on how I feel and what is around as to where I will really go. I might get to North Dakota and decide the Badlands and Black Forrest call me instead of the East coast. Who knows (and I know I don’t). I went East Coast as I have several friends from there, and I’ve done a lot more middle and West coast than east coast travels. But don’t worry, Skyline and Blue Ridge (it’s the 75th anniversary or something) are definitely high on my list of detours. But I should say right off, that my mind conflicts wanting to visit every state east of 100 degrees west, and finding a few really nice mountains (hey what are those things? Do they really exist? I’ve seen hills, maybe 300 feet elevation changes in the sisters. Okay, okay.. in all fairness I’ve been to approximately 7000 ft on Mt. Hood, but you know).

So, save stopping my mail, handing off a key for the cat-sitter, and picking up proper winter gloves, I am “ready to go”. Right now the long-term forecasts look favorable at least to Wisconsin (lowest low in 20s highest high in the 80s (here) with averages in the 60s.. it doesn’t get much better), slight chance of rain/thunderstorms all the way up. I even have an E-ZPass for the 14 northeastern states (did I mention I hate stopping to pay tolls? Btw, why can’t everyone just agree on 1 toll system for the US.. preferably the RFID TxTag style that doesn’t need a battery.. sadly I’m out of luck for Kansas, although the last time I traveled the pike in 2000, it was just a stop at the south, pick up a card, and then pay at the east). But the real question is.. is my heart ready to go? I am both excited at the thought of a long time, as well as scared. I’ve done a 3-day 350-mile-a-day trip (before my new windshield and alternate riding jacket), but we’re talking 7 times that length. I’ve ridden in 20s, I’ve ridden in 100s. I’ve ridden in rain, fog. I haven’t ridden on ice or snow, however.

Anyhow, this ride may turn out to be completely boring to read, if I do actually get out on the road for it on Saturday. But I felt this was probably a more reasonable place to talk about it than my other usual outlets. Thanks for sticking to the end of this completely random introduction post.

Can't say that day one really went the way I planned... but then again day one was also a day early...

day1.jpg

(still love I can drive more than 60 miles and still be in Houston... sheesh... at least the traffic was okay.)

Only about 60 miles... starting location N29.55932 W95.11268 Chevron Gas Station... Starting Odometer 5131, air temp 88F (saw up to 95 on the way over). Didn't take an ending fix. But why a day early... an impromptu family reunion. One of those strange occurances in my family (I think the last was more than 6 years ago) ... nothing quite like good mexican with 12 members of family from all over the state... who would have guessed. But also i think today was a good reminder of why I am hitting the road... stop-n-go traffic, broiling black-top and asphalt. Hopefully tomorrow the real adventure will begin......

The GPS says only 1000 miles to my first destination...
hd.jpg

I don't believe it (or more correctly, I know i will not be going the preferred way there).

Day 2 [May 8th] defiantly went more to plan.

day2.jpg

day2b.jpg

As I haven’t gone on a ride of this magnitude, I don’t know if it is normal, but today was the day of doubts. I had difficulty sleeping as I couldn’t remember if I had locked the doors and closed the garage door back home before I left. After waking up, finally checked the weather forecast (first time in a few days) and they have gone from good through Milwaukee, to rain beginning Saturday afternoon and washing out the trip. Once I get on the road I can’t remember if I mailed the payments I needed to make. I have to wonder, when my dad made these trips, did he have such worries? Or is it just because I am a single guy with a house and many other responsibilities? How did the world ever become so complicated?

All that aside, it was an excellent day for a ride. If you didn’t get out on two wheels, shame on you! I don’t think it gets much better. That being said, I swear the wind always was coming from the right-front side of the bike, no matter where I was (okay one exception).

To start off, decided to follow Texas 6 up to Waco. I used to make this trip every other week back in 1999-2003 when I went to school in Waco but did firefighting/EMS work in the Cy-Fair part of Harris County. It has changed a lot in the last 7 years; the stretch in common with 290 is almost all freeway now (I think the last section was just under construction when I last traveled it). Still love the Navasota hills. I do want to know, though, was is up with my nose; i swear I've never had so many "itchy" sensation on it while riding that I can't subside by scratching like I did the firt part of the ride.

Gas Stop 1: N30.87956 W96.59390 Hearne, TX. 3.659 gal ($11.49) 5286 (155 mi, 42.4 mpg) 72F

Sadly there is still a bit of two-lane road between Hearne and Calvert. I also want to know where my Calvert cop was: that speed trap was always primed every time I went through there, but not today.

But speaking of more changes, Baylor has changed quite a lot itself.

day2-01.jpg

The new science building (I’ll have to return to see what they did with the area my science classes were).

day2-02.jpg

day2-03.jpg

Other buildings nearby.

day2-04.jpg

day2-05.jpg

The dorm I lived in is gone. I missed it, it was really neat, the original design, with suites on the top floor (which sadly had been turned into air-conditioning equipment. I wonder if they kept that cool design feature in the new dorm. Have to wonder.

Gas Stop 2: N32.73514 W97.63213 Willow Park, TX 3.879 ($12.41) 5455 (169 mi, 43.6 mpg) 78F

I’m glad I insisted that I take myself out of my way to get Young County as my first ABC for 2010 (it is one of the few counties I didn’t get in 2009). Very nice area out there near Graham. I’ll need to visit this area again.

day2-06.jpg

Gas Stop 3: N33.90177 W98.49400 Wichita Falls, TX 2.404 ($7.31) 5576 (121 mi, 50.3 mpg) 70F

I had hoped to miss all the rain today, but the kami were not in agreement. It spit on me a bit just before getting to Wichita Falls, so I grabbed fast food and let the storms move on, however I still got in the drizzle around the main deluges (luckily not in the main deluges) between the border and the first concession area on one of the Oklahoma turnpikes.

day2-07.jpg

Gas Stop 4: N35.08162 W97.99984 Concession Stop (OK Turnpike) 2.518 ($7.62) 5677 (101 mi, 40.1) 64F

The final gas stop treated me with a wonderful view of the sunset, as the sun finally was able to peek out from around the low cloud deck showing. Sadly no “Red Sky at Night is a sailor’s delight”.

day2-08.jpg

Odometer read at the end of the travel day was 5742 at the hotel located on Historic Route 66 (by accident, I noticed the historic 66 sign on a trip to the store. Had no idea, thought it came through OKC proper.

day2-09.jpg

day2-10.jpg

Day 2 Miles: 558 [Houston, TX - Edmond, OK]
Total Miles: 611
Distance Made Good to Pilgrim Road: 293.8 miles
Shortest Distance home: 438 miles.

Sadly I couldn’t for the life of me find the internet connection last night. I love the news this morning “we haven’t had storms in several months, so it’s finally time for us to cetch up”. No thank you! Cold, wet day ahead. Not sure if I'll get many "fun" shots today.

supposedily it is.. who knows... but that is the next stop... and also plan to weather the "tornadic activity" on monday in KC.

Day 3 [May 9th] More miles:

day3.jpg

day3b.jpg

The morning started off with “Two Wheel Oklahoma”. In my usual “try to find something to watch to get me going” in the morning, I ran across this interesting show on the local PBS station there in Edmond. I sadly only caught the last part of it. It was apparently a show (or series of shows) on good old Route 66 (man, are the kami trying to say something?). The part I saw was on Arcadia, OK and some things like the round barn and “Pop’s”. They even bought some ramune, which predictably put a smile on my face. Almost wanted to just stop with the original plan and go about the historic highway. I guess I know what my next trip will be.

So I waited for the rain to pass to the north, and set out around 10am. The night before, I was debating if I wanted to continue to Blackwell or stop in Edmond. I am glad I stopped. There was a sign on I-35 “Motorcycles use caution” or something along those lines. And then the understatement of the year: “Rough Road”. I-35 in north Oklahoma is hardly worth the title of an Interstate. There are some serious road hazards. I don’t remember how bad it was 10 years ago, of course

Before getting the rough spot, I was passed by some type of Kawasaki sport motorcycle laden with travel bags and the cyclist was cursing down the road with his legs over his handle bars driving with his legs and reclining on the bike (all at > 70 mph). Not that I really condone that type of activity, but it did look comfortable.

Speaking of motorcycles, there were actually a number out on the road, but for the state having a lot of “beware of motorcycles” and “share the road” etc, I only got a wave from the said Kawasaki guy.

The only interesting thing on this pretty boring stretch of the road was my reserve quantity. As I’m riding with my GPS, I tend to leave the dash display on miles to empty. When I got on I-35, I had around 30 more miles to empty than my first stop (a gas station). The two clocked down fairly well, until I got to about 10 miles out. Then suddenly I went from 40 miles to empty to Lo (<10miles) in maybe 5 miles. It makes me wonder how it the Harley calculates gas milage; I’ve noticed some fill ups I’ve been quoted up to near 230 mte, and some fill ups down to 180 mte.

day3-01.jpg

Gas Stop 1: N37.36635 W97.32241 3.965 gal ($11.06) Did not record odometer (193 miles, 48.7 mpg) 62F.

day3-02.jpg

I continued to chase the rain. What you can’t quite see here is all the wind arrows from the southeast to northwest.

day3-03.jpg

Yeah, wind. I complained about it day two, but nothing quite like the open fields of Kansas. The weather service was saying blowing 15-20 gusts to 30, but I know out there it HAD to be higher than that. Sadly not much to show how hard it was blowing. At times it felt like I was riding without my windsheild in place.

day3-04.jpg

Gas Stop #2: N38.47132 W96.18441 2.636 gal ($7.40) 5969 (120 miles, 45.5 mpg) 64F

When I got to Topeka I decided to jaunt up to the north and get some of the pictures out of the way so that I would have more options on Tuesday to exactly how and what I wanted to do. The only downside is the temps quickly went from mid 60s to mid 50s.

day3-05.jpg

Gas Stop #3: N40.39669 W95.83893 3.136 gal ($10.03) 6118 (149 miles, 47.5 mpg) 60F

day3-06.jpg

day3-07.jpg

day3-08.jpg

Fudge… yum.

So since I was coming in from the north, decided to get pictures of my bike in front of the building that it was assembled in.. (yes it’s after sunset).

day3-09.jpg

day3-10.jpg

The hotel’s internet apparently wasn’t working when I got in, but it was also pretty late. But I turn on the TV and the FIRST thing I hear about is some commercial on some sort of mini-horses, bread in Houston, TX (and apparently that means they are really really good, because they emphasized it). I’ve never heard of the animal, the company, or even the commercial before getting here, ~650 miles away from Houston.

Ending ODO: 6278

Day 3 miles: 538 [Edmond, OK - Kansas City, MO]
Total Miles: 1149
Distance Made Good to Pilgrim Road: 284.9 mi
Shortest Distance Home: 660 miles

Day 4 [May 10th] Home in the rain:

day4.JPG

day4b.jpg

I knew it was going to rain and rain hard today, but it was scheduled to come in mid-day, so I knew I had to get to the factory at open (9 am). The lobby area is a little bland, really. It basically was like a motor-clothes section of just about any dealership out there. They had 2 bikes showing the first 2 of the 3 phases of construction (ie one with just the frame, one partially built up), and then a few bikes showing the final form. Then they also had a display of the revolution engine build up.

day4-01.jpg

The lobby also has a few views into the fabrication area where you can see robots taking sheet metal, stamping it into fenders and tanks and then laser cutting them.

The tour itself was pretty interesting. I was a little shocked that the video portion was DVD quality projected on a huge screen at not-that-far distance. I mean really, someone needs to think about the viewing distance to size to image quality issue here. Surely HD can spring to re-master the video in HD at least. But all in all, knowing the basic history of HD already, wasn’t all that exciting. I hope the “steel-toe” tour at Pilgrim will be better than the “walk-the-line” at KC, as this tour was solely stuck to a walking line that is 30-60 feet away from anything really exciting to see (ie I’d really like to see all the pieces at each of the operation station). That being said it was nice to see the manufacturing floor. As I work also work in a manufacturing environment (all be it biological instead of mechanical) it’s interesting to see LEAN and 6-Sigma items there. I also was very happy to see LOTO information with pictures and securing blocks right where they need to be for the employee. But it is pretty amazing; the KS plant is build to order, and only stocks 2 days worth of material (now that’s good LEAN). It was amazingly to see the sportster assembly line, and noticing that every bike was different (ie different accessories, paint, etc). Sportster had a tact time of around 4 minutes (sportster going from frame to rolling bike in about 55 minutes). Didn’t get to see much of the Dyna line (sad for me). The V-rod line was VERY slow, but then again apparently they are not having very many orders. Interestingly, the XR1200 sportster is made on the V-Rod line at night.

And yes, they have already begun tooling for 2011 model line. Sadly they didn’t relate that to us until AFTER we have walked the line, as there were apparently a few bike parts being worked on that were for 2011 pre-run. I’m going to keep the jokes (maybe insight?) of the tour guide to myself, and see if they come true. Makes me want to stake out the plant and watch the oddly painted bikes going on “audit rides”.

day4-02.jpg

Visitors to the Plant (there is also a world map). I wonder how many ride their motorcycle here (I was the ONLY person at the tour on a bike, and there were only 4 other bikes out front).

day4-03.jpg

And naturally, it was pouring when we were done. It was training (ie the storms would move, but more would develop in about the same spot), so didn’t help to wait too long. So I set out into the brutal rain. It did slack some, but still.

Gas Stop 1: N39.24181 W94.6526 4.001 gal ($11.92) 6291 (173 miles, 43.2 mpg) 50F, mist/rain, winds 20 mph from south.

day4-04.jpg

At this point I was wondering why I took the windshield off last night and didn’t put it back on. The 20 mph headwind with speed limits of 60-70 = evil with the rain jacket and rain (I think I was actually doing maybe 50). That being said, the new rain top I bought before the trip worked like a charm. The only part of me that was wet was my feet. Apparently my waterproof boots aren’t so waterproof.

edit: And the best part of the trip back to the hotel from the plant... stopped at a light with a little kid's face pressed against the glass, while my bike was producing steam around both sides of the gas tank as the water was boiling off the engine block.

day4-05.jpg

Spoils of war (walk the line authorization button, t-shirt, and my HOG pin-stop pin).

Ending ODO: 6310

Day 4 miles: 32 [Kansas City, MO - Kansas City, MO]
Total Miles: 1181
Distance Made Good to Pilgrim Road: 0 mi [435.3 miles to go]
Shortest Distance Home: 660 miles

My next scheduled stop is Chaska, MN on Wednesday evening. The real question is do I want to add 400 miles to the trip to there to grab Manitoba. Would mean at least 700 miles tomorrow and 600 on Wednesday (or more likely an 800 and a 400). Considering my longest day ride to date is now at ~550, I don’t know. Especially since the Wed-Thur is ~450. At least I already have a break scheduled Friday (visiting Pilgrim).

Last edited:
day2-04.jpg

day2-05.jpg

The dorm I lived in is gone. I missed it, it was really neat, the original design, with suites on the top floor (which sadly had been turned into air-conditioning equipment. I wonder if they kept that cool design feature in the new dorm. Have to wonder.

Was it co-ed when you were there? The layout is now all suites. My son is moving out of there tomorrow. He has lived in Brooks for the past two years but will be headed to an apartment for the summer sessions and will remain there for the rest of his time at Baylor.

The Facilities of Brooks College

The facilities of Brooks College are designed to promote academic excellence in a unique community at Baylor University. Designed by the architectural firm of Hanbury, Evans, Wright, Vlattas and Company, Brooks College draws its inspiration from residential college design at such universities as Oxford, Cambridge, Harvard, and Yale. Its prominent features include a main portal for entry into the college, a central quadrangle, a Great Hall, a chapel, a library, and a junior common room, along with state-of-the-art suite-style housing. In Brooks College, you will not find any "multi-purpose spaces" but rooms and facilities which speak to the holistic nature of our community and our purpose for being here in this place together.

Was it co-ed when you were there? The layout is now all suites. My son is moving out of there tomorrow. He has lived in Brooks for the past two years but will be headed to an apartment for the summer sessions and will remain there for the rest of his time at Baylor.

Co-ed? Baylor? !?!?!? Russel was the cloest when I went there.. North was males and south was females, but the cross doors were not openable, and the entrances were at the opposite sides. Brooks was males only, and the one right across (I can't remember) was girls only, but we shared laundry facility. :) Of course it was REALLY weird when Baylor allowed School Sponsered Dances! Guys could visit girls dorms or girls visit guys dorms like 2 hours a week on a Saturday? something like that.

Day 5 [May 11th] Running out of gas:

day5.jpg

day5b.jpg

I had meant to get out of Kansas City early and cruise up around sunrise, but a guy I met at the hotel stopped me and asked about where I was going and why I was in KC, and it wound up into a talk about Tomahawk, where he was from... one of the places already on my trip roster.

When I get out on the road, there was a pretty nasty headwind.

Gas Stop 1: N40.69022 W95.78243 3.866 gal ($11.98) 6445 (154 miles, 39.8mpg) 56F.

day5-01.jpg

Gas Stop 2: N42.69159 W96.69577 3.747 gal ($11.20) 6606 (161 miles, 43.0mpg) 52F.
No 91 octane available.

And that was the last easy gas to find.

day5-02.jpg

Gas Stop 3: N44.74640 W96.68198 4.296 gal ($12.41) 6763 (157 miles, 36.5mpg) <44F.
No 91 octane available.

day5-03.jpg

day5-04.jpg

day5-05.jpg

day5-06.jpg

day5-07.jpg

day5-08.jpg

day5-09.jpg

day5-10.jpg

GPS lied… and please pave your driveway to your non-occupied pump in the middle of no-where. Basically went to several other GPS indicated
Gas Stop 4: N46.54221 W96.82213 4.214 gal ($11.79) 6932 (169 miles, 40.1mpg) 45F.
No 91 octane available.

Ending ODO: 7035 *approximated

Day 5 miles: 725 [Kansas City, MO – Grand Forks, ND]
Total Miles: 1906
Distance Made Good to Pilgrim Road: -107.4 mi [542.7 miles to go]
Shortest Distance Home: 1268 miles

ill try to flush this out later... too late tonight

Co-ed? Baylor? !?!?!? Russel was the cloest when I went there.. North was males and south was females, but the cross doors were not openable, and the entrances were at the opposite sides. Brooks was males only, and the one right across (I can't remember) was girls only, but we shared laundry facility. :) Of course it was REALLY weird when Baylor allowed School Sponsered Dances! Guys could visit girls dorms or girls visit guys dorms like 2 hours a week on a Saturday? something like that.
Well it is as co-Ed as Baylor gets. About the same set up as you stated, the sexes are separated by closed off areas and the only access is thru electronic keyed doors operated by their ID cards.

I don't know what Brooks was lime before but they really have it set up nice now.

Tod, you had mentioned you were planning a few border crossings. I don't see them on your route planning. Have you decide against that? Also, I wonder if the Clear Lake you went through was the same one we passed a week ago?

ClearLakeMO.jpg

As a suggestion, make a point to go out of your way to talk to folks. Some of the best memories I have are conversations with people about their lives. One of my favorites from this last ride was a fellow named Samuel Taylor, from a nearby Omish settlement. He was at the gas station we stopped at to get a gallon of gas for his cloths washer, powered by a 5 hp Honda motor. Who knew they used mechanical convience now-a-days.

Good luck with the trip, let's share stories when you get back.

Tod, you had mentioned you were planning a few border crossings. I don't see them on your route planning. Have you decide against that? Also, I wonder if the Clear Lake you went through was the same one we passed a week ago?

I don't know... somewhere after that I came across another Clear Lake (I believe in Minnesota), although I didn't stop at that one... as I was already late due to customs fun.... finally got internet at this stop, so hopefully will do some update tonight, if I can get myself to it instead of cetching up on things I've missed the last few days.

Day 6 [May 12th] I hate Canada:

So at the end of Day 5 I pushed all the way to Grand Forks, ND for the sole purpose of popping north to grab a picture of the Manitoba Visitor Center to add it to my list of ABCs gets.

Gas Stop 1: N47.92273 W97.08860 2.574 gal ($6.25) 7036 (104 miles, 40.4 mpg)

Gas Stop 2: N48.97002 W97.25484 1.949 gal ($8.24) 7112 (76 miles, 39.1 mpg)

Canada o Canada
day6-01.jpg

So I stopped just before the border to take the general picture of the border, and at this point I was feeling pretty good. I was ahead of schedule on what I wanted to do for the day, etc. Some reason I didn't think I'd really have much of an issue, but I was wrong.

So get to the border agent, and she kept asking me the same questions over and over again. I tried to relate that I was on a motorcycle tour of the USA and wanted to visit Canada for a few hours to take a picture of their visitor center and leave. I guess this wasn't what they wanted to hear. So she hands me a yellow card and tells me to visit the immigration official inside.

Again, the guy inside asks me why am I traveling in the middle of the week, and why I want to take a picture, and was I carrying any weapons, and how I wanted to defend myself (I swear I wanted to retort "is Canada so dangerous that I need a weapon to protect me from the visitor center staff?" after they asked me this several times). Anyhow, I continued to answer honestly, and I guess my "I don't have a specific plan, I just want to take a picture" must have equaled drug dealer or something; so of course the predictable... search of all of my personal belongings. So much so they took the seat off the motorcycle (and in the process of doing that they broke the only copy of the corbin key I brought with me). Finding nothing under the seat, in the battery compartment, in the fuse compartment, under the fenders, they turned to my computer. Apparently they thought that if I wasn't carrying drugs on my bike or my person, then I must be carrying illegal child pornography on my computer. So they take that away. A few minutes later the guy calls me in because its my work laptop and it requires biometrics to turn on. Finally at this point he asks more about what I do, then he realizes I carry two governmentally backed identification cards that indicated that I maintained FBI background checks and that I have ties to the USA, and he apologizes profusely that I had to live through this 3 hour humiltating experience. Apparently the Easy Rider dream of having no plans just going where road leads you doesnt set "hey I'm going to leave your country" flags in place. So I spent another 30 minutes re-packing everytihng and getting it all back in my two bags (one of those lovely things).

day6-02.jpg

So yeah I was quite unhappy when I got to the visitor center to take the picture I wanted to take, considering I had driven an extra hour to get to Grand Forks, ND the previous night, and the hour up to the border, (knowing two more hours back down to Fargo to continue along my way the same day) now plus 4 hours. Of course I had conflicting "I did all that for this picture" and "I have to make this worth wild" ... so even though I was behind, and I figured I'd get hassled on the way back down (oh and I had a set time to be to my next destination). So I went up to Niverville. Well I didn't know that was where I was going (I meant to go to Winnipeg, but decided to just drive randomly for awhile until I found the town). Ate at a little mom-n-pop place and talked with a local for awhile, and got some useless trivia for the border crossing.

So came back down and with my little bit of trivia in hand, no problems coming back through the border (the border agent seemed quite distracted compared to the Canada one).

Gas Stop 3: N48.97002 W97.25484 2.165 gal ($6.99) 7220 (108 miles, 49.9 mpg)

Deja vu gas stop?

Gas Stop 4: N46.89034 W96.84344 3.883 gal ($10.97) 7370 (150 miles, 38.6 mpg)
Rain

Gas Stop 5: N45.72415 W94.95145 3.254 gal ($9.89) 7504 (134 miles, 41.2 mpg)
Rain

day6-03.jpg

It really is intersting how the gas stations change so much around the country. I'm so used to Texaco, Chevron, and Shell every corner. BP is all I really can find... There are Shells around (although I never can find them when I need them... its always the NEXT exit that has gas after I give up waiting.. sadly in my GPS all the Shell stations are like "Bubba's Gas and Grub" or similar.

Honestly I am now doubting my alternate plan for the North East. On my way up I had planned to cross from New York to Ontario to see Nigria Falls, then travel around Toronto to Montreal (Quebec) to re-enter the US in vermont. I don't want to lie about what I am doing to make it sound more touristy than my more "road tour" thing. I don't know. I have 2 or more days (assuming I don't give up in Xenia, OH). I guess its all weird like that.

Anyhow, ended in Eden Prairie, actually stayed over with a coworker (well shes in the same department, but at a different facility of the same company). Very different actually staying with someone, sadly no internet, and I was also about 3 hours late in arriving, so didn't quite work out the way I wanted, but could be worse.

Ending ODO: 7613 *approximated

Day 6 miles: 577.6 [Grand Forks, ND – Eden Prairie, MN]
Total Miles: 2483
Distance Made Good to Pilgrim Road: 248.8 mi [293.9 miles to go]
Shortest Distance Home: 1058 miles

*note: I should mention I crossed this same exact border almost 10 years ago, and it took all but 2 minutes.

Day 7 [May 13th] Finding Out What Really Water Proof (or maybe "Why I should not pre-book anything on a ride like this"):

So naturally, well before I left to go on the trip (actually as soon as I got my vacation approved) I booked a stay and tour at Pilgrim road. So I had to make Milwaukee by the end of day 7. Naturally weather was not going to cooperate with me. When I checked the weather at wake up, the radars were clear on my phone (my only source of internet that morning) and the weather channel and the local news (the only other sources of intel) were all saying things were a-ok and would be getting better. So i had a very lesiurely breakfest (i usually don't eat such a meal, but how can I turn down home-cooked bacon in the morning?).

So i set out, in the morderate traffic, and mist. Now I experienced the beginning of what would become a very bad sign. My helmet visor fogged, and no matter what I did (even full open), I couldn't get it to stay un-fogged. So I had to ride generally full open, in the misty rain.

So I got to first gas up after the major slow-downs in the traffic.

Gas Stop 1: N44.89114 W93.08013 3.020 gal ($9.06) 7637 (133 miles, 44.0 mpg)

So again this is one of those cases the blue signs sends you a mile off the freeway to get gas, so you have no idea what your getitng yourself into...

day7-01.jpg

In this case, gas canopy covers that really were USELESS. They were dripping the from the edge, right where one needs to stand to pump gas in the mist. Oh well, some things I just don't understand.

I had a really bad inkling about the future, so I put the rest of my foul weather gear on ... and good thing... between that gas station, and one I didn't fill up at maybe 20 miles down the road, the heavens exploded with lightning and pouring rain (this shot was at the other gas station AFTER i went through the red band that was over the freeway when I went through it).

day7-02.jpg

At this point I realized some of my foul weather gear wasn't living up to expectations.

day7-03.jpg

The rain broke a little for the state crossing, but was short lived until the next gas stop at Chippewa Falls.

Gas Stop 2: N44.91278 W91.38942 2.200 gal ($6.93) 7731 (94 miles, 42.7 mpg)

So the rain stopped, but it was more of the fog and inability to get my visor to clear. I could clean it completely with my cloth, but within seconds it was covered in fog. Something I've never experience before (and didn't happen on the previous day's bit of rain). So I had to ride with the visor open at times just to see.

But even when it was closed, apparently my helmet isn't waterproof. Even with all the vents closed, there is water dripping from the top seal between the visor and helmet. It drops done on the cheek or nose. Naturally with the chin vent open, water is sprayed up into the helmet right into ones eyes (ie can't use it to clear the visor, not that it was clearing the visor).

More importantly, my "waterproof" boots apparently are not. This wouldn't bother me quite so much if I had not bought them a few days earlier in South Dekota. I specifically asked the clerk there for "best waterproof boot available". So that was a little depressing to find I wasted my money.

So being as I needed SOMETHING to look up, I just hit the "detour" button on the gps, and it sent me out on some back-roads of two lane black-top to get to my via-point for the ride. And luckily it paid off with a National Forrest Sign.

day7-04.jpg

More for me: N45.118811 W90.599817

Gas Stop 3: N45.46606 W89.73402 2.336 gal ($7.71) 7847 (115 miles, 49.2 mpg)

TOMAHAWK
1433 ft

day7-05.jpg

The Tomahawk plant currently produces the fiberglass parts for harley davidson (primarily on the touring bikes, which after that many miles in the rain, I could really see why touring fairings would be really nice). Originally Tomahawk was a fiberglass boat manufacturer (did you know Harley Davidson made a boat and a watercraft? The boat, at least, was from this aquistion).

After I stopped by the misty, foggy, can't see riding started up again.

Gas Stop 4: N44.19897 W88.68085 2.591 gal ($7.38) 7975 (128 miles, 49.4 mpg)

Finally I had to stop and breathe for awhile. My feet felt like they were just soaking in water (although nothing came out of the boot on repeated pouring attempts) and my face/helmet felt significantly heaiver with the rain soak into the pads. I checked the weather, and found the current conditions/forcast at least amusing...

day7-06.jpg

At this point I seriously wanted to be home, and didn't care that I was almost at my destination. I truly did wonder why I was even trying to do this. The rain was really demoralizing (well actually I've ridden in the rain before, but somehow it never soaked through my shoes before (althoug the last time I rode in heavy rain, I was wearing my older work shoes, not these new "waterproof" boots).

Anyhow, amazingly within 10 miles from this stop, suddenly my visor cleared, and all of a sudden i was greeted with extremly gusty cross winds and the temperature rose 10 degrees. These significantly improved my mood, althoug my feet were still freezing and soaked.

It was fun seeing Pilgrim Road facility on the left, and Capitol Drive PDC on the right as I came in. I felt "home" in a way, although amazingly few bikes on the road (i guess the rains of the earlier in the day kept most home?).

Sadly it was then that I realized my hotel is... merely a few blocks away from Miller Park. Later that night I found up that the next night there would be a game... Brewers versus Philadelphia. I truly wasn't looking forward to that part.

day7-07.jpg

Ending ODO: 8076 *approximated

Day 7 miles: 463.4 [Eden Prairie, MN – Milwaukee, WI]
Total Miles: 2946
Distance Made Good to Pilgrim Road: 281.0 mi *** [12.9 miles to go]
Shortest Distance Home: 1006 miles

*** Passed it on the way to Hotel

Day 8 [May 14th] Day of Harley:

day8.jpg

day8b.jpg

Woke up bright and early to get to the museum at the 9am open. It was more-or-less what I expected. It was really nice to see the bikes (both restored and un-restored) from the 107 year history of Harley. I could go on about the meaning and the interesting tid-bits of the museum, but that would take some of the fun out of it. Instead, I think its more interesting that a school group came in maybe 15 minutes after I did to do a school tour of the facility. Why is this more interesting? It really had me reflecting on myself and my youth. I remember going to a number of museums around the Houston area (mostly the natural science museum near Rice University), and I too remember mostly wanted to get my little assignment done and do whatever I wanted. So here I was, slowly walking from artifact to artifact, really reflecting on the design changes, and the engineering aspects, and the artistic appeal. I think I spent maybe an hour and half on the second floor (where you start) and the school groups rushed through and rushed out and back through again, and they had left the building before I even left the second floor. It just got me thinking about how I was there on my own will, after 3000-someodd miles of riding in what a lot of people would call pure misery (and I supposed at least the last 300 miles of it was) and the artifacts really meant something to me and I really cared for being there; where-as probably very few of the people in the school group cared at all other than what ever they needed to find for their worksheet, and it was just purely a fun day away from school. And how even I when I was young really didn’t comprehend where I was and what I was seeing. But I can’t remember, did seeing museums when I was younger have any impact on me? I really can’t say. I know the only one that did was the holocaust museum, but that was because I was taking german as my foreign language and for what ever reason I was interested in the cultural aspects. I guess the Harley world is a culture of and in itself.

With that part of my Harley day complete, I jumped on the bus to enjoy my “Steel Toe Tour” of Pilgrim road (and yes I was wearing my steel toe boots, so I didn’t have to wear the silly horse clogs). The tour again was more confined than I had hoped from the original description, but I guess that is what I expected. It was nice to see the whole process from the raw forgings to power-trains coming off the cold-test stands. Much like the Kansas City facility, I would have more preferred spending more time in the assembly horseshoe, with step-by-step information. Oh well, it was still very interesting none-the-less.

day8-01.jpg

day8-02.jpg

day8-03.jpg

day8-04.jpg

day8-05.jpg

day8-06.jpg

So I came back and picked up my better camera to do my ABCs points collections for the day. Knowing traffic was going to be horrible, I did a lot of meandering around for no real good purpose.

day8-07.jpg

day8-08.jpg

day8-09.jpg

day8-10.jpg

Gas Stop 1: N43.11031 W88.33388 3.855 gal ($11.95) 8143 (168 miles, 43.6 mpg)

day8-11.jpg

And the usual “what’cha get” stuff:

day8-12.jpg

day8-13.jpg

The photo makes me feel really short, and that’s pretty rare.

Ending ODO: 8185 *approximated (someday I’ll remember to take a final picture at end of ride, but usually too tired to remember)

Day 8 miles: 108.6 [Milwaukee, WI – Milwaukee, WI]
Total Miles: 3055
Distance Made Good to Pilgrim Road: 12.9 mi
Distance to York Plant: 620.0 mi
Distance to GSNP: 576.0 mi
Shortest Distance Home: 1006 miles

Off to at least Xenia. From there... who knows. Depends on how the travels go.

Day 9 [May 15th] That Pesky X:

Gas milage is so much better when not fighting serious head winds. Although I still had a slight headwind out of Chicago.

day9.jpg

day9b.jpg

Sometimes I can’t wait to see a toll road: Illinois toll road was something I was looking forward to. Why? Because my experience with toll roads thus far (and its very small ill admit, but will grow rapidly) is toll roads typically are better maintained. And Illinois toll road did not disappoint. Wisconsin I-94 was driving me crazy with bumps, and then get on glassy smooth (well okay not THAT smooth, but nice super-slab) just makes life so much better.

day9-01.jpg

However, Illinois drivers are scary. The speed limit was 55 for almost all of the time I was in the state. They had two speeds: speed-limit-plus-twenty and zero. Literally EVERYONE was doing 70-75-80 or higher until a construction zone sign, then it was feet down on the ground time. Doing the speed limit would have meant sure death.

This is the first time I got to use my new E-ZPass I got specifically for this trip. Sadly (or luckily), Illinois toll road has barrier like those on the West Park Toll Road in Houston, so it was impossible to tell if it was actually working. Went through 3 toll gates I believe. I have no idea how much it cost.

Chicago’s skyline is interesting from the north approach. I always have loved the sears tower (or what ever they call it these days, like how I still call our tower Transco and not Williams).. but I didn’t know there was another building on the opposite end that had a similar height and antenna arrangement. It kinda made a nice balance to the city.

day9-02.jpg

Today was predominately Indiana travels. But first some gas and a little jot north to grab the mittens, I mean Michigan.

Gas Stop 1: N41.58607 W87.23917 3.082 gal ($9.34) 8314 (171 miles, 55.5 mpg)

Before turning north I was rudely robed of an hour of my precious time by the Kami who drew a funky line in the CST/EST boundary. Actually it makes sense, as Chicago kinda expands into Indiana.

Luckily Indiana's toll road actually is still a bit more traditional. It looks more like it works like the Kansas one (pick up a ticket, pay when you leave). But for I-Zoom (which is what I actually have) it lets you know "I-Zoom Accepted" then opens the barrier gate. So luckily I know my mounting job is working okay at least for Indiana, which hopefully means it will be good for the rest of my journies.

day9-03.jpg

Once getting this, it would be mostly US routes down to Indianapolis. It is nice to get to see the back-side of the state, as this is, as I see it, the only real place within Beckman Coulter that I would be moved to if they decide they really do want to keep me. I don’t know how I feel about it, but we’ll see.

Fairly shortly after turning south, crossed over the continental divide again; something more natural about rivers running south in my mind. :P This time however it was the St. Lawerence Divide, and not the northern divide. The previous divide picture was between Gulf of Mexico and the Hudson Bay. This divide was between Gulf of Mexico and Gulf of Saint Lawarence. Somewhere in Minnesota I crossed the Northern back to the Gulf of Meixco (I think that was marked, but I can't remember) and then I crossed to the Saint Lawarence Side in Wisconsin between Tomahawk and Milwaukee. I should cross St. Lawarence twice again, first back to Saint Lawarence side, then when I cross back, I'll actually be east of the eastern divide (where rivers flow to the Atlantic ocean). I doubt I'll get to see the Great Divide unless something really amazing happens and I get around back to Texas really early and maybe someone gives me an extra week of vacation.

And then of course the weather turned out to be worse than all the forecasts predicted. I was driven from the roads at a gas station to don weather gear.

Gas Stop 2: N40.77855 W86.12823 2.935 gal ($9.21) 8452 (138 miles, 47.0 mpg)

Rain continued off an on until the next gas station. I don’t really recall seeing downtown Indianapolis.

Gas Stop 3: N39.28056 W84.96080 2.884 gal ($8.65) 8602 (150 miles, 52.0 mpg)

Well Ohio near the border of Indianapolis and Kentucky is now my favorite road of the trip, eclipsing Minnesota. It is the pretty rapid decline seen in the altitude graph, as I descended down to Cincinnati and New Port. Also the temperature went up about 10 degrees (enough to make me shed a layer).

day9-04.jpg

day9-05.jpg

New Port was interesting. It had a really neat view of Cincinnati, but I could never find a place I could actually stop and take a really good picture that didn’t cost money. Pity. I did spent 30 minutes driving around the city trying to find a post office that was actually there (GPS POIs are not always as good as they should be, of course I know that because it thinks there is a car repair shop in my neighborhood back home).

And then of course time to journey to get that rare X city. Not many of them around (I’ve found maybe 3 on maps .. there are supposedly more, but Xenia, OH is the only one that is really a decent sized place).

day9-06.jpg

Ok, Garmin, we need to think about this “fastest route” thing. You took me on two lane black top that didn’t have very many reflectors (mostly just signs) on a dark night, with very little ambient light, with trees on either side, and signs warning of animals, and at least 4 small critters seen, that has twists and hills. Yeah, it was signed 55 mph (don’t ask me why) but there was no way I could do that comfortably. Nice road otherwise, except for it being 10 pm already.

Gas Stop 4: N39.88880 W83.81258 2.448 gal ($7.05) 8716 (138 miles, 47.0 mpg)

A real pity this was the ONLY room left in the whole hotel, and that I got it at less than the regular price for a normal smaller room. God I love being a platinum member.

day9-07.jpg

day9-08.jpg

Ending ODO: 8757 *approximated

Day 9 miles: 572.2 [Milwaukee, WI – Columbus, OH]
Total Miles: 3627
Distance made good to York Plant: 278.6 mi [341.4 to go]
Distance to GSNP: 267.3 [308.7 mi to go]
Shortest Distance Home: 985.4 miles [I’m closer? How?]

Current Points:
14 States: OK, KS, NE, IA, MO, SD, MN, ND, WI, IL, IN, MI, OH, KY
5 City: C, L, N, O, X
1 County: Y
10 Other: Canada, Manitoba, KC-Plant, CH-NF, TH-Plant, Museum(x2), HD-HQ, MF-Plant, USA

Last edited:
Great report Tod, it seems you're living the life of adventure. Without a windshield, it has got to make dealing with the elements even more difficult.

What kind of rain gear are you using? We had frogg toggs and have always been less than satisfied. I took to buying a can of Camp Dry and spraying everything, twice or three times. Chuck threw his pants away and bought some cheap vinyl stuff. Gloves have always been a problem too. No matter which ones say they are waterproof, they have never been. Actually, the only REAL waterproof stuff I had, were my boots. Some Timberline hiking boots with a goretex liner bought at Academy. Oh, yeah and get some Gators, they are a little expensive but for me keeping my feet and legs warm is the key.

Nice report, keep up the good work.

My Tour Master jacket (a bit pricy) is working great. My cheapy pants work okay too (although at the end they always are wet when I'm done, I guess its just completely assualted by water from the front tire). I am tempted to get the matching pants for the top, as the top is doing well. The boots I bought on the trip are basically engineers boots (electrical resistant, oil resistant, etc etc etc... I guess that means they are "water resistant" not "water proof"). I guess the water soaks right through the leather? There really are not that many seams on the things. Yeah my waterproof gloves work for the light rain, but the goretex stuff was completely soaked when I got to Milwaukee. I love the gloves otherwise, they have a pull string to attach the glove to the rainsuit / riding jacket.

Man I hate time changes... it feels like 8am but its really almost 9:30am.

Day 10 [May 16th] Empire State:

day10.jpg

day10b.jpg

Goal for today was put a few extra miles under my saddle.

It was an amazingly beautiful day leaving out of Columbus. One of those days that any sane person would ride their bike somewhere, even work. I was really sad to see almost no bikes on the road. And what made me even more sad was I was passed by no less than 3 perfectly good touring bikes that were being trailered. How can you do that? I mean I understand, but the weather was perfect, really.

Just before getting to the gas-stop, crossed the sign indicating “Erie Watershed” so yes, crossed the St. Lawrence continental divide again (why it doesn’t phrase it that way I don’t know, but oh well).

Gas Stop 1: N41.13591 W81.79185 3.323 gal ($9.63) 8875 (159 miles, 47.8 mpg)

Before the trip I did some scouting on the internet of the national parks, trying to find some. This year Harley’s ABCs lets you use up to 5 of them, but I’ve found there are a lot of things listed in the National Park Service website, but few of them are “National Parks”. I really want to know if “Historical Parks” and places and things are valid, if so it’s a lot easier. Otherwise there really is not much in the Eastern half of the country. But somehow I missed Cuyahoga Valley National Park. I was just riding along and that magical brown sign with “Ntl Prk” showed up along the way, and I had to turn in.

day10-01.jpg

It means Crooked River. It was a nice little park with the river valley. Didn’t stay too long, or find anything I wanted to take a picture of.

day10-02.jpg

Pennsylvania wasn’t really anything special until suddenly came over a ridge and saw lake Erie. It took a moment to realize what I was seeing. I mean I had just seen Lake Michigan a few days before, but there was just something about the situation. The road is maybe 200-400 feet above the lake level, and so you really get that sense of scale and just how big it is. Sadly there was no good place to park in the really good visual area.

day10-03.jpg

Gas Stop 2: N42.23529 W79.77521 3.237 gal ($10.19) 9028 (153 miles, 47.3 mpg)

day10-04.jpg

day10-05.jpg

day10-06.jpg

The .. I don’t know what they called it.. I’ve seen so many names the last few days .. “Service Area” “Oasis” “Rest Area” “Plaza” etc. But anyhow it was neat that there were parking areas on the right side of both directions of travel, and there were pedestrian bridges over the freeway to the food, restrooms, etc in the middle. I really liked the way this was setup. I don’t know why.

day10-07.jpg

day10-08.jpg

day10-09.jpg

day10-10.jpg

Even though I knew before going, I still have to wonder why Niagara Falls is a State Park and not a National Park. Second, somehow, I had in my mind that is wasn’t in the middle of two cities. I mean all the aerial shots I’ve seen make it look more like its in the middle of nowhere, but really its highly urbanized right around it. But still, pretty impressive none-the-less even if it has been restricted to reduce the erosion and all of that.

day10-11.jpg

You may be asking why did I shoot this picture. I was just completely perplexed. The POW and the State (?) flag were flying like there was a pretty decent breeze, but the USA flag and the Canada flag never really even moved. I watched it for like 4 or 5 minutes. I couldn’t find anything obvious to make this happen.

Gas Stop 3: N43.04108 W77.71466 3.779 gal ($12.39) 9206 (178 miles, 47.1 mpg)

Just incase your ever traveling the New York Turnpike thing, get your hersey’s ice cream stuff close to dinner, because if you wait until late, your out of luck.

day10-12.jpg

day10-13.jpg

Gas Stop 4: N43.01586 W74.80279 3.062 gal ($9.98) 9362 (156 miles, 50.9 mpg)

Day 10 miles: 671.9 [Columbus, OH – Albany, NY]
Total Miles: 4299
Distance made good to York Plant: 39.8 mi [238.8 to go]
Distance to GSNP: -400.6 [709.3 mi to go]
Shortest Distance Home: 1486 miles

Current Points:
16 States: OK, KS, NE, IA, MO, SD, MN, ND, WI, IL, IN, MI, OH, KY, PA, NY
5 City: C, L, N, O, X
1 County: Y
11 Other: Canada, Manitoba, KC-Plant, CH-NF, TH-Plant, Museum(x2), HD-HQ, MF-Plant, USA, CV-NP

Last edited:
Fantastic pictures and story. Best plans is no plans in my book. Thanks for the time and work to take us along with you.

Back