• Welcome to the Two Wheeled Texans community! Feel free to hang out and lurk as long as you like. However, we would like to encourage you to register so that you can join the community and use the numerous features on the site. After registering, don't forget to post up an introduction!

RTP-MotoPhoto #001, Burgers & Bars

M38A1

Admin
Reaction score
First Name
Scott
Tricepilot initiated a concept to combine photography and motorcycling in "Ride To Photograph" (RTP) or simply MotoPhoto. Today was supposed to be the first of the RTP events in Austin at Billy's Burgers with the Austin M&G crowd. Trice had to bail as some ADVRider folks from a whirlwind South American trip were stopping by his place for their last night before arrival home. Well, I'm pleased to say I held up my end of the deal and rode to Billy's, ate and captured some ambiance of the place.

So Trice - here's some shots you missed... :trust:

Hands on a wall
944093378_UELXT-L.jpg

Camera Model: NIKON D90
Lens: 10.0-20.0 mm f/4.0-5.6
Focal Length: 10mm
Aperture: f/5.6
Exposure Time: 0.167 s (1/6)
ISO equiv: 1250
Exposure Bias: none
Metering Mode: Spot
Flash Fired: No

Darts anyone?
944093527_hXU8e-L.jpg

Focal Length: 20mm
Exposure Time: 0.100 s (1/10)
ISO equiv: 6400
Exposure: aperture priority (semi-auto)
White Balance: Auto

Beer
944093640_3ybD8-L.jpg

Focal Length: 13mm
Exposure Time: 0.0080 s (1/125)
ISO equiv: 3200

Hotsauce
944093753_DyR93-L.jpg

Exposure Time: 0.167 s (1/6)

Scott and Fred
944093968_r3MYo-L.jpg

Exposure Time: 0.100 s (1/10)

The Lunch Crowd
944093846_9MZZR-L.jpg

Focal Length: 10mm
Aperture: f/4.0
Exposure Time: 0.0080 s (1/125)

Last edited:
Excellente mi amigo....I'm going to try to reverse engineer those photos in terms of exposure: shutter, focal length, and ISO.

I've got the trip guys out in the garage and driveway, just did DOO #11 and a rear tire for Jeff, and now both tires for Paul.

I've taken my first batch of photographs with the new camera, will post up when I can.

Excellente mi amigo....I'm going to try to reverse engineer those photos in terms of exposure: shutter, focal length, and ISO.

Hey, I took the guesswork out for you and added the EXIF info. Just the D90 and a 10-20mm super-wide. Today I simply wanted to use a high ISO so I wouldn't need a flash. Sort of testing the high ISO capabilities of sorts. 3200 isn't too bad IMO. 6400 :eek2: ain't shabby either.

Last edited:
I like the MotoPhoto idea. That is when I can actually remember to bring a camera other than my phone. But being the noob (or prenoob) is it acceptable to put as the information "I clicked and my camera is a ######"?

I for one get a little intimidated by the info ya'll put about the shot/camera/lighting/ambient temp/cloud cover and just pass on by. Guess it comes down to I don't want to look stupid.

Ok, I don't want to look stupid intentionally.

hmmmmm, let's just say I don't need help looking stupid. :rofl:

I have a Sony DSC-H9 that I point and click and blame the camera for the bad pic. :trust:

Maverick

I like the MotoPhoto idea. That is when I can actually remember to bring a camera other than my phone. But being the noob (or prenoob) is it acceptable to put as the information "I clicked and my camera is a ######"?

I for one get a little intimidated by the info ya'll put about the shot/camera/lighting/ambient temp/cloud cover and just pass on by. Guess it comes down to I don't want to look stupid.

Ok, I don't want to look stupid intentionally.

hmmmmm, let's just say I don't need help looking stupid. :rofl:

I have a Sony DSC-H9 that I point and click and blame the camera for the bad pic. :trust:

Maverick

Ansel Adams became famous not because of the equipment he had, but the fact that he knew that photography is all about the light. I'm as No0bish as they come, and I like to take things apart and put them back together because that's how I learn.

Trust me, one doesn't need a Hasselblad or anything more than a simple point and shoot to take great photos. In fact, on my major road trips I plan to keep to tradition, and use a Canon Digital Elph, and leave the DSLR at home.

I for one have little clue how aperture relates to ISO relates to shutter at this point. There is a great story over on ADV where they talk about camera snob stuff, and the guy that won their photography contest did it with a pinhole camera made out of a shoebox.

No distortion as it's a super-wide and from my understanding, is of a different lens design than a true fish-eye. If you look at fish-eyes down in the 8-12mm range, the lens is bulbous and sticks out way past the end of the lens housing. The superwides, by design are just that, a very wide angle without the bulbous glass and the properties of what we think of as 'fisheye'. Mine doesn't protrude past the end of the lens housing.

And no post processing for distortion either....

edit:
If you look at the last picture, you can see Bruce and Rusty getting a bit 'wide'. That's one of the 'features' of a super-wide. lol..... You can get some dramatic 'wideness' when you shoot anything off dead center top to bottom, left to right.

I'm impressed that lines are still straight at those focal lengths, and there is very little noise at such a high ISO. Well chosen equipment :thumb:

I'm impressed that lines are still straight at those focal lengths, and there is very little noise at such a high ISO. Well chosen equipment :thumb:

Oh, believe me the lines can become skewed with that lens. As mentioned, anything other than directly centered, and the scene changes dramatically. For example, here's a shot with the same lens at f/8 and 10mm. You can see how lines change as I'm really pointing the lens "up". As with the super-wide, the lines remain fairly straight, but had that been a fisheye, there would most probably have been a huge radial curve to the lines.

751923117_4cTo6-L.jpg

When I finally show up at Billy's, I'm doing both my photography and my burger in raw :eat:

For reference, the Billy's shots were done in .jpg fine just to see what that format along with really high ISO's would produce. Today was an 'experimentation' of sorts and I'm quite pleased with the results.

I think I'll pop on a 50mm f/1.8 one night and see what I can come up with for grins.

...so I've been googleing... the 10-20 has a built in motor, so it will autofocus on my D40...hmmm :ponder: What have I been missing???

No distortion as it's a super-wide and from my understanding, is of a different lens design than a true fish-eye. If you look at fish-eyes down in the 8-12mm range, the lens is bulbous and sticks out way past the end of the lens housing. The superwides, by design are just that, a very wide angle without the bulbous glass and the properties of what we think of as 'fisheye'. Mine doesn't protrude past the end of the lens housing.

And no post processing for distortion either....

edit:
If you look at the last picture, you can see Bruce and Rusty getting a bit 'wide'. That's one of the 'features' of a super-wide. lol..... You can get some dramatic 'wideness' when you shoot anything off dead center top to bottom, left to right.

That wideness of which you speak may actually be a direct result of those humongous cheeseburgers they eat most weeks. A bit pricey but worth every penny from a socializing standpoint.
Did anybody remind Tricepilot that the new guy always buys lunch on the first visit?

....and on a related note to the concept of Trice's thread, this is what I like about our (TWT's) corner of the world. You can start a thread and there's a lot of folks with differing abilities, equipment and skills who ask questions, provide responses and everyone comes out ahead.

THAT's what makes this place great.

Is it safe to assume that the RTP is not necessarily about food, but any G rated locale? Just about rides ad places seen while doing so? If it is, here is one if mine. I like to have my "Sweetie" in my pics....

Unfortunately, I am using the wrong 'puter but will post tomorrow. I really like this thread and this forum!!:clap:

Back