• Welcome to the Two Wheeled Texans community! Feel free to hang out and lurk as long as you like. However, we would like to encourage you to register so that you can join the community and use the numerous features on the site. After registering, don't forget to post up an introduction!

Good-Old-Days Syndrome: I Has It

TWTim

Reaction score
Or perhaps worse; maybe it's even the beginnings of Old-Man Syndrome. Zoinks. Either way, I got a potent dose of just how much things have changed in my hometown of Midland, Texas over the past twenty years when I went on a late-night ride tonight to meet some fellow motorcycling friends.

It all started earlier this evening when my wife, who's been sick with a stomach virus all weekend, told me to get out of the house (i.e., out of her hair) and go for a ride. No problem there. Next, I checked the local riding forum to find that some guys I know were gonna meet at 11:30 on the northwest side of town. But I figured I'd leave early for a little "me" time, riding alone before meeting the group.

So, just for the sheer nostalgia of it, I started thinking about where I would go if it was two decades or so earlier and I was a 17-year-old kid, cruising around town on my Rebel 250, looking for fun. The preferred choice back then would've been a simple one to make for a kid growing up in Midland: the "strip" on Midkiff Road between Cuthbert Avenue and Andrews Highway.

In the late '80s and early '90s, the strip would've been alive with activity on most any summer Saturday night. Hundreds of kids in hot rods and on motorcycles would've been lining the street for blocks, hanging out and having fun under the streetlights in the many shopping center parking lots on both sides of the road. They'd have been packed like sardines into the Sonic Drive-In, jockeying for the best parking spots from which to be seen and ordering cherry Cokes and chili dogs by the sackload. There would've been some pimply-faced guy with a mullet sitting at the supermarket, blasting Cheap Trick from the stereo of his '79 Camaro to the woots and hollars of big-haired rocker chicks who'd be banging their Aqua-Netted heads to 'Surrender' or 'I Want You To Want Me'. There would've been the occasional drag race, the occasional fight, the occasional flagrant make-out session between hormone-charged lovebirds. In short, it would've been great.

Twenty years later, the strip itself is surprisingly unchanged in its general appearance. The same buildings are still there. The same parking lots are still there. Even the Sonic is still there, which is where I stopped in tonight on my ZX-7R for an obligatory cherry Coke. Despite the similarities, though, one thing's very different: nobody hangs out on the poor old strip anymore. I mean nobody.

The pic below (taken from my crappy, outdated flip phone -- sorry) is what it looked like tonight. What was once a bustling scene is now like a ghost town; no more hot chicks, no more loud music, no more cool cars, no more life at all. Sadly, after decades of concern by the property owners along Midkiff, all the hangers-out have been run off and pushed away by police and private security, apparently for good. Now all that remains of those days are the memories of those of us who remember what it once was.

That's neither a good thing nor a bad thing. It is what it is. But in that moment (and this has been happening to me a lot lately), it really hit home that I am getting older. The only thing I'm disappointed about in life so far is that it apparently goes by so quickly. Twenty years ago was yesterday.

In the song 'Subdivisions' by Rush, Neil Peart talks about the discontentment of suburban youth, alluding to "lighted streets on quiet nights". That lyric popped into my head as I drank-in the silence which accompanied my now overpriced soda. The thought then led itself to yet another Peart lyric from a different song: "Changes aren't permanent, but change is."

Indeed.

sadturdaynight.jpg

Last edited:
Looks everything but the sidewalks are rolled up. Welcome to my world. I was just back north (South Dakota)(not Sturgis thank the Lord) and the old hang outs are either closed or should be.

Well said Tim. I have found I can never go home, not to the home I remember anyway. Its all shadows of a distant past now. Sounds like the makings of a classic song there.

I haven't been back to Tyler and looked for myself, but I suspect the same thing. Between getting run off by police and the arrival of cell phones, video games, and political correctness, the practice of cruising is dead. Most have never had a fight in their life, drinking is bad and the drinking age is now 21. Plus, who wants to be seen in a clapped-out civic with a fart can exhaust? Muscle cars just aren't the same any more.

The Jack-In-The-Box is still there, but the dirt parking lot across the street where we would gather next to Bob's Big Boy is gone as is the gas station next to Jack and the Drive-In Theater that was behind the gas station.

But boy... those sure were great times.

Cooper Street was the cruise corridor in my old days. Sonic on the south end was a turn-around and hang out spot. To the north we would go left on Randol Mill to the park for the other turn-around and hang out spot.

Highway 360 was not complete south of I-20 so we had a measured and marked quarter mile on the dead end two lane freeway. Now, the freeway continues for a few miles south, and has even been widened. Suburbia has eaten the farm fields and pooped out concrete shopping centers and high pointy roofs all in a row, and all the same as the next.

Video and on line gaming is the hangout scene for the teens today. Wonder what will replace that in 20-40 years.

...growing up in Spring, there were huge tracts of pines and yaupon. Now almost all of that is gone. All the **** dealerships that there in houston, moved north. Strip centers all over the place, and the 'town' that I knew growing up has become part of houston's urban sprawl.

I rode my bike back to Dallas a couple of years ago just to cruise the old hood and look at the place where I grew up, I have a picture of myself in the driveway with my bike from 78 and I wanted to get another pic of myself in the same spot 30 years later but no one was home and the lady next door said she was too busy, then it started pouring down rain, I rode and found cover at one of the many new buildings in the area and waited it out, then headed for home, Dallas traffic was horrible, so many cars driving with reckless abandon, before all the fly-overs were built, we use to party at a place called Pet Inn, live bands set up on flat bed trailers, it was right where the 35/635 fly over is today, Forest lane was the Drag, in those days the school parking lot had at least 50 motorcycles in it, along with candy colored Challengers, Chargers, Mustangs, real Z28s and GTOs, the last day of school was bleach burnout day on the school parking lot right up next to the building, You go by the same school today and you see maybe one or two R6s, a scooter or two and a whole bunch of souped up four cylinder front wheel drive cars with loud mufflers, Cheers Tim, SZ. ps. me in 75. I might regret this,,,
IMG_0436.jpg

Sounds oddly like Denison, Texas.

It was late 70s for me when Main Street was the place to be. Cruising, checking out the chicks, etc was the thing to do every Friday and Saturday night.

Now when you walk down the sidewalks of Main Street, the signs in the store front say:

For Sale
For Rent
For Sale
Antiques
For Sale
For Sale
Moved
Antiques
Art Gallery (really? An art gallery in Denison?)

What killed Denison was the relocation of the main highway. Highway 75/69 goes from downtown Dallas to Big Cabin, Oklahoma. It was/is a great shortcut to NE Oklahoma to hit I-44 and on up into Missouri. Coming in from the south as you crossed the viaduct above the MKT rail yard, you could look west and see the high school football stadium.

However, for a little over a mile there was a red light at almost every intersection. Semi's used 75/69 through town all the time but the lights weren't timed in sequence. You may pull off from one light only to catch the next one at red.

Then the state put in the bypass around town and as they say....the rest is history.

My Junior High school was built in 1913 and was reportedly the first free public school in Texas. It had no A/C, radiators for heat and I'm sure it was full of health-threatening things. But I have more great memories from the 4 years of education there than any of the others. The wonderful city leaders decided it was in too much disrepair and decided to bulldoze the building. Today, it's a vacant lot.

In it's day, it was a grand building with a clock tower. As they started demolishing it, it looked like this:

denisonhighschooldemoli.jpg

Other than the historic Katy Depot that was renovated, Dwight D. Eisenhower's birth place (I think he lived there less than a year) and being the "Gateway to Lake Texoma", Denison doesn't have much going for it because the city "leaders" seem afraid of growth and advancement. They're destined to let it die a slow death.

When the Saturn car came out, Denison was one of two cities being looked at as the place to build. From what I understand, the city "leaders" refused to give them the tax concessions they wanted so the plant ended up elsewhere.

It pains me to go home.

Thanks, Tim. This could end up being an epic thread if you don't mind a bunch of us hijacking it. :thumb:

Thanks, Tim. This could end up being an epic thread if you don't mind a bunch of us hijacking it. :thumb:

Hijack away. I have enjoyed everyone's comments and stories thus far. Mostly, I'm glad to know it isn't just me who delves into these self-absorbed bouts of nostalgia. :mrgreen:

I find this kind of stuff fascinating. Thanks everyone for sharing your own memories. Keep 'em coming.

Tim,
In Abilene, you cruised North 1st, circled Mack Eplens for a Cherry Coke and brownie, and tried to meet girls from across town you didn't know. My two-wheeling was almost all dirt in those days, but we did some serious quarter mile racing out in front of the Automation plant on North 1st. Nothing's the same. In fact, last time I was in Abilene, most of the North side looks Ciudad Acuna to me. The City is now centered somewhere near South 14th. And nobody cruises.

I grew up cruising NW 39th Street in Oklahoma City (a part of Route 66), it used to be packed on weekend nights during the school year and pretty crowded all week during the summers. We were either there or what was known as "5 Mile" north of Route 66 where the County Line Road bridge was burned out at the river. I grew up trail riding in that area so I knew it well and knew of places to "get away" from the party crowd on the south side of the river....of course beer was still 18 at the time that I frequented the area. We typically had a spot to park on the north side of the river away from the road and hidden by trees so the park ranger's light wouldn't find us. We spent a lot of time out there just laying in the bed of my 71 Ranchero GT looking up at the stars, drinking some beer and talking.

We parked in the driveways of the small Mazda dealership and had permission of the general manager because we never left trash or damaged anything, in fact we found some keys laying on the hood of a car that the lot porter evidently forgot to pick up and dropped them in the mail slot. We tried to be "responsible" as opposed to what some others did leaving trash everywhere (just like we saw from some people at the beach this past weekend). Over the years the OKCPD harassed everyone away although much of that was at the request of some of the property owners so I understood the reasoning behind it and (now) understand they were just doing their job. The fast food places didn't like it as well, it is mostly lined with car lots now and I think a few still show up out there every once in awhile and it gets a decent crowd during the NSRA Street Rod Regional/National shows when they are in OKC.

We migrated over to some of the other ones in the OKC area like Broadway in Edmond, 12th Street in Moore and Air Depot in Midwest City but they all suffered the same fate. In 1983 beer went to 21 in Oklahoma and by the time that they started to be patrolled out of existence we were 21 so we started doing more of the club nightlife.

I grew up on the west side of OKC, PC West grad here.

That area has changed quite a bit, the Casa Bonita was closed and became a Chinese buffet in the mid-90's, it has since closed like most of the shops in that strip. The Holiday Inn next door was demolished a year or two ago. The Casa Bonita in Tulsa was open until a few years ago but the one in Denver is still open.

sz is giving me flashbacks. I can almost hear Labella and Rody.

zooloo2-1_01.jpg

:dude:

I have many of the same memories, but being slightly younger (34) and from a bigger city (San Antonio) we didn't do as much cruising as we did just hanging out at various late night meet up spots. What strikes me is that so many of these types of memories involve doing things that are now considered dangerous or foolish or illegal. A street dragrace or two, a bonfire in the middle of some field, a skinny dip in someone else's pool/pond/lakehouse, a couple of underage beers, etc. Now a dragrace is felony reckless driving. Being underage and blowing even a trace will get you a DUI. And no one will just let some teenagers get away with trespassing for a little tailgate party for fear of liability should somone get burned/drown/drunk/beaten up. No doubt every generation sees the next and remembers back when things were different. But I have to ask: Are we sanitizing and attempting to protect ourselves right out of the good times?

sz is giving me flashbacks. I can almost hear Labella and Rody.

zooloo2-1_01.jpg

:dude:

Talk about flash backs?
Before the Zoo,there was this
2j0ea3d.jpg

Some of the bands from those days were The Hollies,The Supremes,Dave Clark Five,Animals,and lots more! I just can't remember who they were?

Are we sanitizing and attempting to protect ourselves right out of the good times?
I think a lot of the parents who have pushed to have laws against such behavior are doing so their kids won't repeat what they did and if "there is a law" against it then they don't have to be the "bad guy" to their kids...all they have to say is "hey, it's against the law". The problem with that is they have removed some discretion from from law enforcement, things that might have received a "good talking to" are now a jail-able offense and if the officer were to use some discretion now the parents would be all over the local PD. I know of some who were the recipients of such discretion and got more punishment from their parents after the officer informed them of the situation, many parents have abdicated the parental responsibility and placed it in the hands of the legal system which can have long term harm to a kid making a "stupid mistake" as a teenager but yet the same ones who pushed for the legal side to take over parenting will be the first to cry foul if their child faces the legal ramifications of their actions.

I know there were plenty of things that I did when I was younger that if I had been caught under today's environment I wouldn't have been as lucky.

I know there were plenty of things that I did when I was younger that if I had been caught under today's environment I wouldn't have been as lucky.

I don't know what you're talking about, I mean that was never proved....oh, wait, you're talking about yourself...

Yeah, hypothetically anyway since that never happened, ahem, to me, I agree.

+1(000,000)

Talk about flash backs?
Before the Zoo,there was this
2j0ea3d.jpg

Some of the bands from those days were The Hollies,The Supremes,Dave Clark Five,Animals,and lots more! I just can't remember who they were?

Wow, thanks for the zoo freak sticker, I remember KAKC am in Dallas before FM came on, I went to an oldies concert here at Dell diamond ball park in Round rock about 4-5 years ago and saw the Turtles, Grass roots and Hermans Hermits with Peter Noone, it was totally awesome.

Back