• Welcome to the Two Wheeled Texans community! Feel free to hang out and lurk as long as you like. However, we would like to encourage you to register so that you can join the community and use the numerous features on the site. After registering, don't forget to post up an introduction!

Pie Run VIII: Time for Pie, City Cafe, Elgin

Another pic - people arriving.

PeopleArrive_sml.jpg

That 'Vette disappeared pretty fast :clap:

Re: Pie Run VIII: Time for Pie, City Cafe, Elgin 8/28/2010

Three of us made it back to Bryan about 2pm. About right for the quickly warming temps...what happened to the upper 80's forecast for today? Guess it was "wx dot com" though as of Thursday when I last looked at a forecast.

Red Funduro: There was a red BMW Funduro parked in front of the cafe...I did meet the owner briefly, but wasn't able to ask too many questions at his table, especially after I went back out after my pie was finished and looked at the bike in detail. If someone knows who this is, see if he or someone could give me a reply. I have a 98 Funduro I'd like to upgrade a bit.

Scotchale

That would be me.

Ball in your court! LOL

One more attempt tonight for the pictures!

Where it all happened:

city_cafe.jpg

North Side of the street - parking took up two blocks plus overflow between buildings:

northside_of_street.jpg

South Side of street:

southside_of_steet.jpg

What's for lunch?

city_cafe_menu.jpg

Dessert tray:

dessert_tray.jpg

Trip Report:

Elgin_Trip_Report.jpg

It must have happened, 'cause there's pictures!

Just walked in the door a few minutes ago. 17 hours, 421 miles, 2 parties and 1 slice of pie later. A pretty good Saturday if I do say so myself. Took some pictures but it's been a long day. :yawn: Will try to post them up tomorrow.

Just walked in the door a few minutes ago. 17 hours, 421 miles, 2 parties and 1 slice of pie later. A pretty good Saturday if I do say so myself. Took some pictures but it's been a long day. :yawn: Will try to post them up tomorrow.

:giveup: :bow:

Got in about 8:30 last evening, 541 miles total. Great day of riding and talking to all the TWT folks at the City Cafe :rider:.

This was my first pie run. It was a "great day to ride":sun:. I was very impressed by the TWT croud. Here are a couple of street pictures.

se2gyw.jpg

xgig42.jpg

Hope to see you all in Huto.:eat:

Keep the shiny side up,

Chuck

We started out in southwest Arlington

rendezvous in Cleburne at the Johnson County Courthouse

d70_8528q.jpg

Most of the crew:

d70_8531q.jpg

Billy (Rubi Red), Chris (cwadej), Lori (sp?) - riding with Dad (Chris), Leon (focus frenzy), and Soozy (Soozy). Missing was Fergie (Gandolkf) who was gassing up, and Mike (mbrew) and Beth (bbrew) - arriving a bit later.

Soozy's new ride with the rose added (she wanted the picture for Ken)

d70_8532q.jpg

We picked up 4 more riders when we went through Whitney. We all then stopped in Valley Mills.

d70_8535q.jpg

The trike and BMW didn't continue but they wanted to meet with some TWTers. Of course, I forgot names :doh: but hopefully they will join us again.

We ended up being a half hour late due to multiple events (including my GPS locked up - it contained the "final approach" to Elgin) but it was easy to find where this was happening:

d70_8538q.jpg

d70_8537q.jpg

d70_8536q.jpg

:tears: I wish I could have gone :tears:

I miss y'all. I've put together a few pie runs out here but there just isn't the same level of interest.

Was that before or after the many discussions and turn arounds?

Chris, don't beat yourself up, Squeaky still holds that title. I wanted to thank you for a great 300 or so mile run. You're route selection was 'mostly' fantastic and I really enjoyed it. The ride to Elgin was cool, even a tad cold at times. Coming back I was reading 99-100 deg but I guess the humidity was low since it wasn't particularly unconfortable ..... except when we stopped.

Since Jeanne saw all the scooters in the picts, she wants to make the next run.

Chris, don't beat yourself up, Squeaky still holds that title. I wanted to thank you for a great 300 or so mile run. You're route selection was 'mostly' fantastic and I really enjoyed it. The ride to Elgin was cool, even a tad cold at times. Coming back I was reading 99-100 deg but I guess the humidity was low since it wasn't particularly unconfortable ..... except when we stopped.

Since Jeanne saw all the scooters in the picts, she wants to make the next run.

I concur -- Chris led a great ride. I didn't mind the have-to-stop-and-turn-around detours at all. (Of course, I was on a Yamaha cruiser -- had I been on a more dirt-road-ready bike???). ;-)

We had a nice ride coming home the back way to Sommerville, then south on 36. Too durned hot, though.

An early meeting time of 7 AM meant I left the apartment when it was still pretty dark. A trip of about 40 minutes got me to the meet up point in Brookshire. Found Lee (leekellerking), Chris (dirtrideroader), and Donnie (fjrtx) already there. Dennis (ceddec) had dropped in behind me in Katy and followed me to the stop. Another rider met up with us but I've already forgotten his name.

DSCN4390.jpg

Chris led us on a great route up some back roads. I wish I could keep all the street numbers straight so I could go down a few of them again! One of these days I'll buy a GPS and a Spot tracker and venture out off the beaten path a bit more.
DSCN4394.jpg

A short stop in Fayettville allowed us to stretch out a bit. The weather in the morning was beautiful. Almost on the chilly side in some of the most rural areas even.

DSCN4395.jpg

After only 2 u-turns to avoid unpaved roads we made it to our destination
DSCN4404.jpg

Located in Elgin, TX just a bit outside of Austin.
DSCN4397.jpg

The food was pretty good but of course the key component of a Pie Run is the pie! Chris's coconut pie looked pretty good.
DSCN4399.jpg

But I was happy with my key lime choice. That's Becca's apple crumb and Jamie's Snicker's pie in the background.
DSCN4402.jpg

Although we were some of the first ones to sit down we were some of the last served so I didn't get any pictures of the number of bikes at the peak. Someone counted and the tally was over 100 bikes.
DSCN4405.jpg

DSCN4406.jpg

DSCN4407.jpg

On our route back I guess I didn't take any photos. By that time it was getting quite a bit hotter so I guess my focus was on that as well as trying to remain as comfortable as possible in my seat. We took a slightly more direct route home and when we got to Sealy I took a left on I-10 and slabbed it back to town. Camilo (cdc) followed and he cut off in Katy to his house. But my day wasn't done yet. I still had 2 parties to attend. I was hoping to get back into town early enough to head home, maybe take a quick shower and change clothes but it wasn't to be. Instead after a brief gas and stretch stop on the west side of town I headed near downtown to a housewarming. No pictures taken there by me for some unknown reason. Then I headed up to the Northwest side of town to ChooChoo Sushi bar for a birthday party
DSCN4408.jpg

After that it was time for me to head out. All in all it was a good day. Final trip total = 412.1 miles, about 17 hours, good food and a ton of great people!
DSCN4415.jpg

And a sun up to sundown day of riding. Does it get any better than that?
DSCN4410.jpg

We met up with Becca "Squeaky" and Jamey "Jar675" in Sealy

Jamey was suppose to be leading but it seems that Becca was directing from behind. At one point, he turned left & she turned right leaving Erik & I to scratch our heads.

We actually showed up early & didn't have to turn around once .... when we got to an unpaved section we just kept going through.

As we filled up down the road from the cafe, we saw the Houston group come in and wound up sitting with them.

We decided to head back the way we came & stopped for a short break.

The pavement actually melted under our kickstands.

We stopped off for another break & confused the passerbyers .... I think 5 cars stopped here & we had to inform them that the store was closed.

The Houston group saw us & stopped as we were starting to gear up so we have a group of about 10 heading into Sealy. Another awesome turn out, it was great to see friends (and give out hugs).

Back