• Welcome to the Two Wheeled Texans community! Feel free to hang out and lurk as long as you like. However, we would like to encourage you to register so that you can join the community and use the numerous features on the site. After registering, don't forget to post up an introduction!

Moab Utah

_RG_

Forum Supporter
Reaction score
I drew pictures of airplanes and bunnies in geography class so it came as some surprise that Moab is only 150 miles up the road from Ouray. Kind of stumbled into this little epiphany by accident. This ride was a quick extension of our trip to Ouray.

Going NW from Ouray toward Moab the land changes dramatically from Rocky Mountains into sandstone topography of the desert.

This is in Ridgeway, about 10 miles north of Ouray.

DSCN0803.jpg

Along the way...old barns are cool. They each have a personality if you look closely enough.

DSCN0804.jpg

Never know what lies along a trail...

DSCN0807.jpg

The land changes pretty quick. You see the La Sal mountains from a long ways.

DSCN0810.jpg

The Rockys morph into these sandstone bluffs in a remarkably subtle fashion.

DSCN0811.jpg

Some distance still from Moab, there's a noticeable change in geology.

DSCN0820.jpg

DSCN0824.jpg

Moab is a colorful community along the banks of the Colorado. The locals seem to take pride in their independence and incongruous freedoms. Everyone I visited with there is an import from somewhere else. They visited Moab, fell in love with the land and it's people, and came back to stay. Great folks.

DSCN0838.jpg

Of coarse the first trail is out to the Arches. Got there about an hour before sunset so the light was really kind to my junky little camera.

Not bad for an old point and shoot that bangs off the handlebars every time I saddle up.

DSCN0883.jpg

DSCN0851.jpg

DSCN0858.jpg

Next morning it was east out Sand Flats road to the La Sal mountains. I took a couple of side trails and found they come in two flavors...rock and sand. The rock is solid sandstone and grips a D606 like new asphalt. The sand, however, is loose and deep.

DSCN0887.jpg

If deep sand is a challenge, practice in it a lot before coming to Moab.

DSCN0886.jpg

DSCN0922.jpg

You can see the La Sals for 50 or 60 miles before getting close to them. The climb up is a good road. If running tight twisties is your joy, you'll giggle till you choke on this hill.

DSCN0901.jpg

It gets considerably cooler as you climb.

DSCN0909.jpg

It's open range and all the cattle know it, too.

DSCN0903.jpg

This looks like your at the top of the world. Pictures always flop in these scenes but the view is truly something to behold firsthand.

DSCN0916.jpg

DSCN0915.jpg

Right on top of the mountain is this radio tower. Checking my cell phone showed great signal strength. So what should I do? That's right...call everybody I know and tell them what a cool view I have. :mrgreen:

DSCN0917.jpg

A few folks live up here...talk about isolation and independence...with a view...works for me.

FSCN0905.jpg

The higher elevations are more alpine with lots of vegetation and docile mule deer all over the place.

DSCN0910.jpg

DSCN0900.jpg

At the end of one little side trail (by end of the trail I mean it literally drops over the edge of the world and we discover just how well our brakes are working today)

DSCN0892.jpg

DSCN0897-1.jpg

DSCN0895.jpg

Came back down the mountain through the same valley I saw from on high. Very red rocks.

DSCN0920.jpg

River Road back to Moab.

DSCN0934.jpg

After lunch it was out west to Canyon lands and Dead Horse Point...the back way of coarse.

Pitcher handle arch on River Road. This marks the entrance to Long Canyon... a very cool canyon ride.

DSCN0954.jpg

DSCN0890.jpg

DSCN0951.jpg

DSCN0946.jpg

You start on the canyon floor...and climb.

DSCN0923.jpg

Near the top of the canyon is Pucker Pass. There's a good reason for this name. The road goes under a huge fallen rock and it get a bit loose and gnarly for a spell. Very do-able.

On top...

DSCN0963-1.jpg

DSCN0960.jpg

This drops you at the entrance to Dead Horse Point.

DSCN0989.jpg

DSCN0980-1.jpg

If you look closely at the shelf way down by the river, you'll see part of Shafer Trail.

DSCN0996.jpg

Next, it was further west to the Canyon lands.

DSCN0833.jpg

DSCN0977.jpg

DSCN0966-1.jpg

DSCN0964.jpg

The Shafer Trail goes from Canyon Lands to along the river at Dead Horse. It starts off on the plateau and winds down the side of a canyon toward Moab. It's about a 22 mile ride that involves a very narrow shelf road and some tight switchbacks. This is one that'll keep you focused. I took a great picture looking straight down at several switchbacks but the camera choked on dust and well...just quit on me.

DSCN0971.jpg

My only regret is the short time I had in Moab. There are trails all over the place. A person could spend a week riding and still just be getting started...and love every minute. I shall return...

Dang... we should have gone with you!! :doh:

Awesome pictures of Moab, RG. I didn't realize we were so close when in CO either. Was the weather as nice and cool there?

BTW, it was great to meet you and your wife in Ouray. We need to make this an annual trek.

Steve

Awesome pictures of Moab, RG. I didn't realize we were so close when in CO either. Was the weather as nice and cool there?

BTW, it was great to meet you and your wife in Ouray. We need to make this an annual trek.

Steve
RG, great photos and report. I think you and I talked on a couple of PM's about this trip, but my trip was going to be 2 or so weeks before y'all's. I would have liked to have made that one with your group. Looked like a good time.

Desmo, in about the same time frame, I went over to Gateway, CO and did some exploring. It's not many miles at all from Moab. I checked the weather on the computer and saw high 90's and some 100+ degree days in Moab in the middle of August...ouch! In Gateway it was about 85 for 2 days and 90 on my last day. Gateway stays a little bit cooler as it's between the La Sals and the Uncompahgre plateau. Moab is next to the La Sals but it tapers off toward the desert rather quickly. Unless you stay up in the La Sals, Moab is usually an oven in the summer.

Attachments

• P1010027.JPG
    P1010027.JPG
    135 KB · Views: 157
Last edited:
Back