• Welcome to the Two Wheeled Texans community! Feel free to hang out and lurk as long as you like. However, we would like to encourage you to register so that you can join the community and use the numerous features on the site. After registering, don't forget to post up an introduction!

Pie Run X: Spooky in East Texas, Edom, 10/30/2010

:tab I sure enjoyed the ride and the visiting. There was quite the selection of bikes/scooters for only having 60 some odd bikes in the parking lot.

There were a few more -- I'd guess a half dozen -- TWT'ers at the place (The Bakery?) across the road.

What a beautiful day for a ride! We detoured down 314/315 to Palestine before heading home by way of Jacksonville and Hwy. 135. Managed a couple hundred miles of smiles.

Our day started at 8 AM, staging in the old abandoned Minyard store in SW Arlington. Chris (cwadej) and bride Amanda just expected the 3 of us to ride to Edom.

We were pleasantly surprised... (but made everyone squint into the sun or blink :doh: )

d70_8643cq.jpg

Hank (vulcanraven) recently moved from Oregon

d70_8633cq.jpg

he still has the old plates

d70_8639cq.jpg

Alan (alancb)

d70_8634cq.jpg

Jeff (Jeffro93)

d70_8635cq.jpg

d70_8636cq.jpg

Amanda and Chris (cwadej)

d70_8637cq.jpg

d70_8638cq.jpg

Soozy (Soozy)

d70_8640cq.jpg

d70_8641cq.jpg

The other Hank's (hank1) Tiger (he refused to pose)

d70_8642cq.jpg

to be continued...

We left SW Arlington with 8 riders and mid-40s in temperature. Leon (focus frenzy) joined us in Venus. We got stopped by a train on the eastern end of FM875, got separated by traffic lights in Waxahachie, and picked up FM85 on the south side of Ennis.

In Seven Points, I spotted another rider on a burgundy Kawasaki that fell in at the end of our column. That made 10. When we stopped in Gunbarrel City for gas and some rest, there were 11! :scratch:

The rider on the Kawi came up and asked if I was Ed (dualsportrider) who he was supposed to meet up with in 7 Points. Of course I wasn't but his phone rang and he took back off across Cedar Creek Lake to meet with the other group. (I didn't tell him that Ed rides a red Wee-Strom and mine is blue :doh: )

The group:

d70_8644cq.jpg

Our ladies - Soozy and Amanda.

d70_8646cq.jpg

Where did this Beemer come from?

d70_8647cq.jpg

According to the others, he was on the side of the road not far back and figured he would just join up! He said that it looked like we were having more fun - can't argue with that!

We headed on to Edom with only one scare - a very large Lab-type dog making a collision course with my 'Strom until he finally woke up and bolted across in front. Soozy spotted a roadrunner somewhere but I never saw it.

Arriving in Edom about 10:45 or so, there were a bunch of riders already there.

A bunch of Burgmans - they have become regulars on these Pie Runs. Interestingly, there were 4 white ones - these 2 plus Elly and Soozy.

d70_8649q.jpg

Tire-kicking and jawing in the parking lot

d70_8650cq.jpg

Here's Ed (dualsportrider) - he led a group from Ft. Worth

d70_8652q.jpg

More bikes

d70_8653cq.jpg

Kurt made it over from Austin. He has family in Tyler.

d70_8654cq.jpg

What you see when you putter into town from the west.

d70_8655cq.jpg

Hank's BlackBird helps support the banner

d70_8656q.jpg

An impressive line of bikes -I counted 45 on my way in to eat. There were others scattered around, too.

d70_8657cq.jpg

After lunch I had planned to detour north and pick up the Rains County Courthouse - a glaring hole in my Texas map. It was such a nice day, that 3 of the DFW bunch joined me.

The locals warned me to stay away from Canton (First Monday Trade Days), so we re-routed around to the east, fought with the GPS to stay off I20, and found a couple of fairly nice FMs to explore.

d70_8661cq.jpg

My 'Strom, Soozy's Burg, Jeffro's SV, and Hank's Tiger.

d70_8660cq.jpg

We took off west and crossed Lake Tawakoni. Jeff decided to go home the northern route and broke north at hwy 34 in Quinlan. Soozy, Hank, and I took 34 south back thru Ennis and 287 back home.

It was a great day to be outside and very pleasant riding. Thanks to all who joined us in Edom! :thumb:

Back