• Welcome to the Two Wheeled Texans community! Feel free to hang out and lurk as long as you like. However, we would like to encourage you to register so that you can join the community and use the numerous features on the site. After registering, don't forget to post up an introduction!

Pie Run V: Home on the Range - Floyd's, Ingleside 5/28

Ixta

Reaction score
First Name
Joel
Last Name
King
Back in SAT via Goliad, Yorktown, Stockdale, La Vernia, and St. Hedwig. Never seen that country so dry.

Wow - great group. Met some truly interesting folks.

Pretty sure I qualified for my hot weather riding merit badge on the way home... 105 ambient on the asphalt.

Next time,

Joel.

Hope everyone has a good trip home. Great seeing everyone. Holly was a little more relaxed with the whole deal (first ride in years) by the time we got back. Biggest obsticle is getting a 5'5" frame on a TALL KLR. :rofl: Not much of a ride for us, but it was a good experience for her. I think she was glad we weren't headed for SA. :lol2: I just got through cleaning up my SV650, wax and wash. Man, it's HOT out there, deceivingly so. I can only imagine what it's like inland on the road.:doh:

Greyson & I had a great time! Sorry I didn't get to visit with more people. Hope some of you folks got to see some of the local fare. I'm sure Port Aransas was a madhouse (usually is on a holiday weekend).

Hope all got home OK. I did....;-)

Greyson was already telling his buddies about his first MC rally & meet. Pretty cool to a 12 year old. Lots of questions about different bikes.

If possible, can someone post some pics?

Thanks again!
Jim

I'll have some but won't post them until I get home - probably more like Monday. :mrgreen:

I think I counted 17 bikes and a total of 22 people. A local guy dropped in at the end on a Norton but most folks had already left.

Leon and I spent most of the afternoon touring the USS lexington. :thumb:

I hope Jim and Greyson made it home OK. ;-):lol2:

Hi Joel. I assume that it is you that I sat with at lunch along with Jim and Grayson. Nice to meet you. Maybe it will happen again.

Richard (geolpilot)

Back in SAT via Goliad, Yorktown, Stockdale, La Vernia, and St. Hedwig. Never seen that country so dry.

Wow - great group. Met some truly interesting folks.

Pretty sure I qualified for my hot weather riding merit badge on the way home... 105 ambient on the asphalt.

Next time,

Joel.

Hi Jim and Grayson. Enjoyed meeting you and having lunch together. See you again one of these days.

Richard

[QUOTE

Greyson was already telling his buddies about his first MC rally & meet. Pretty cool to a 12 year old. Lots of questions about different bikes.

Thanks again!
Jim[/QUOTE]

Man, it's HOT out there, deceivingly so. I can only imagine what it's like inland on the road.:doh:

Hot. No really HOT. ;-):-P

Got to ACP in SA as they were closing. Darn time change throw me off. :doh: I was still able to get the items I needed/wanted.

Either way it was great meeting all you new folks and old friends.

Until next time be safe.

I rode yesterday and it was nice and cool up here. Must have had a front come through or something. :rider:

Naw, it was hot and windy. Made me wish I had a boat instead of a bike, until I remembered how much fun boats were to maintain and store.

Just did the math for yesterday's ride. To the best I can do ......... I did between 850 and 900 miles for the day. And still no IBA PLATE. :doh:

Just did the math for yesterday's ride. To the best I can do ......... I did between 850 and 900 miles for the day. And still no IBA PLATE. :doh:

With the extreme heat and wind, I think your ride qualifies as an Iron Butt SaddleSore 1,000. You have been awarded the following certificate.

Iron_Butt_Saddle_Sore_Certificate.jpg

RB

Greyson & I had a great time! Sorry I didn't get to visit with more people. Hope some of you folks got to see some of the local fare. I'm sure Port Aransas was a madhouse (usually is on a holiday weekend).

Hope all got home OK. I did....;-)

Greyson was already telling his buddies about his first MC rally & meet. Pretty cool to a 12 year old. Lots of questions about diff

Thanks again!
Jim

I hope someone got a picture of Greyson riding across that field to make the pie run. That was way cool!

Not only did Greyson attend, but I bet he is the youngest attendee to ride his motorcycle to a TWT event.

You da man, Greyson!

Aww, that ain't nothing. I calculated that I did about 1,300 miles to do this pie run. And that on a Ural with a top speed of 60 mpg.

It should have been less, but I seem to be directionally challenged for I took a few wrong turns. Coming from the Waco area I guess I missed the turn and ended up in Harlingen. Once in Harlingen, I realized my error and tried to head back but somehow I ended up on South Padre Island. No problem, I thought, all I need to do is head north but then I came upon this thing called the Mansfield cut, so I had to turn around and go back.

Then I tried to get to Ingleside by way of Padre Island but my compass was jammed and I guess I headed south back towards the other side of Mansfield cut. I guess the “four wheel vehicles only” sign should have alerted me that something was wrong, but I continued south. Eventually, I got turned around and ended up on Mustang Island. I continued north but missed the exit for Ingleside and ended up at Goose Island. But alas, I realize my error and head to Ingleside in time for the big event.

Pie! Yum Yum

Is there any award for traveling the furthest to make a pie run? It took my 5 dyas to get there, but I made it!

I have some pictures here. Click on the first and you can advance thru them all...

The German Chocolate pie was verrrry tasty.

Sorry I forgot to bring my kite for the beach. If I had the wind would have died down instantly.

Rode down the beach at Port A (thanks go out to the local who mentioned the express boarding for motorcycles on the ferry). The beach was over crowded with horrendously slow traffic so it was back to the pavement and on around the bay.

Caught Del Castillo at Brewster Street Icehouse in Corpus that evening. Those brothers are amazing Latin guitarists.

Walked around the Marina then ate lots of shrimp on Sunday, and was the victim of a Shark Attack at Joe's. Got a souvenir shark along with the drink. Named it "Mr. Nibbles."

On the way home today we stopped and visited La Bahia and paid our respects to Colonel Fannin and his troops. Viva Tejas! Remember Goliad! Then got lunch and a couple gallons of iced tea on the court house square. It was a tad warm and I was parched.

Was very happy to see that the AC was still working fine upon the arrival home.

Thanks for a great excuse for a ride to the coast! :sun: :rider: :eat:

longest run on the year for me (so far) at 971 miles on the SV odometer.
I need a bigger tank or a ST, Chuck and Hank seemed to be getting tired of having to stop so often for me to fill the little tank up on the SV.

took a couple extra days so Chuck and myself could visit a old boat.

e5b1910a.jpg

the 65 other pics I took are here. http://smg.photobucket.com/albums/v495/leonhogan/uss%20lexington/
sorry for the quality, I went off and forgot my lowley PnS camera and was reduced to using my phone.
on the return trip we took the interesting route and picked up a few court houses.
feffbc0f.jpg

2f0d51b8.jpg

27537aff.jpg

6e242661.jpg

and the capitol building.
726f026b.jpg

Sorry I missed this pie run but it was way past my mileage limit for one day. I'm not ready to try an Iron Butt or even half of one. HA!

FYI: My boat is 50 years old and has been easy to store and maintain once I converted the trailer to a drive-on in 1993, replaced the carpet and added more storage in 2000, and replaced the transom in 2005. And when the '89 Force outboard finally fails, I'll replace it with a nice new 150HP fuel injected 4-stroke. :-P

http://www.zdbz.com/1961CUTTER

It was always a chore when my father owned it and again when my brother did. So, I was determined to never go through their headaches when it was my turn to own it starting in 1993. Now, I can launch it or load it up with just me with no help required. Cracks me up to see clueless newbies at the boat ramp with their new boats "wading" around in the water. I should teach a class on what NOT to do at a crowded boat ramp. HA!

I rode yesterday and it was nice and cool up here. Must have had a front come through or something. :rider:

Naw, it was hot and windy. Made me wish I had a boat instead of a bike, until I remembered how much fun boats were to maintain and store.

Break
Out
Another
Thousand

Cracks me up to see clueless newbies at the boat ramp with their new boats "wading" around in the water. I should teach a class on what NOT to do at a crowded boat ramp. HA!

Don't do it. Not only is it entertaining but boat repair shops pay their bills fixing these bumps and dings.

longest run on the year for me (so far) at 971 miles on the SV odometer.
I need a bigger tank or a ST, Chuck and Hank seemed to be getting tired of having to stop so often for me to fill the little tank up on the SV.

took a couple extra days so Chuck and myself could visit a old boat.

e5b1910a.jpg

the 65 other pics I took are here. http://smg.photobucket.com/albums/v495/leonhogan/uss%20lexington/
sorry for the quality, I went off and forgot my lowley PnS camera and was reduced to using my phone.
on the return trip we took the interesting route and picked up a few court houses.
feffbc0f.jpg

2f0d51b8.jpg

27537aff.jpg

6e242661.jpg

and the capitol building.
726f026b.jpg

Looks like you guys' trip home was way more fun and iteresting than mine. My weekend hall pass had the condition of being back home saturday night after lunch. I left Floyd's at 1p and was in my garage in Flower Mound (454mi) at 8:25p. I turly believe speed limit signs here are merely a suggestion in this state as several times I had to glance at my speedo to confirm I was actually in triple digits and still being passed by Cadilac SUVs. I got stuck in a little back up in SA. When I passed the scene there was a bike down and CPR being administered to the rider. Checking later that night he did die at the scene. Condolences to the family.

Back