• Welcome to the Two Wheeled Texans community! Feel free to hang out and lurk as long as you like. However, we would like to encourage you to register so that you can join the community and use the numerous features on the site. After registering, don't forget to post up an introduction!

Berchtesgaden, Bavaria

VRoss

Reaction score
Having spend nearly a week in Berchtesgaden, it has become one of my very favorite places. Why?

The views:

IMGP3679.jpg

IMGP3957.jpg

IMGP3680.jpg

IMGP3706.jpg

The location:

IMG_0970.jpg

IMGP3715.jpg

The roads:

IMG_0974.jpg

IMGP4000.jpg

IMGP3999.jpg

IMGP4004.jpg

IMGP4005.jpg

The food:

IMG_0998.jpg

IMG_1022.jpg

IMG_1024.jpg

The desert:

IMGP3807.jpg

The family:

IMGP3983.jpg

IMGP3866.jpg

The service:

IMG_0883.jpg

Hot chicks times two:

IMGP3696.jpg

I don't think it gets any better than this.. do you?

IMG_0988.jpg

Looks like a beautiful place. :clap:

What is this? A pork something? Looks yummy.
IMG_1024.jpg

It's a smoked [probably baked, actually] pork shoulder, a local specialty. That is the half-portion :):):). The beer was brewed next door. I loved the jellied cold cuts the most though. Almost as good as jellied pork knuckles! They serve it with onions marinated in vinegar.

Just beautiful... travel envy x 1,000,000!

Have you taken a trip through the Salt Mines in that region? Most excellent!

Have you taken a trip through the Salt Mines in that region? Most excellent!

Regretably, no. They won't let the little children in and If they did I wouldn't be doing any favors to the other visitors. Can you imagine 3yo and 1yo amplified by the echo underground?

Gives me another reason to go back. The place is special, I hope I get to do this again in a few years....

Now you know why Hitler liked it so much.. Have you visited his bunker? You access it from a little restaurant at the top of a hill, they have excavated about 30% of the tunnels and living areas.. Probably not too interesting for a 3 yr old child, but quite interesting for adults..

Gary

The place is full of history. Remember the last episode of the Band Of Brothers, it was about the events right there in Berchtesgaden. The hotel itself is located on the former Herman Goring estate, with US military having finally relinguishing the control over the area only 15 (?) years ago. In this picture you can make out HItler's Eagle's Nest, it's the top most point on the mountain above the hotel:

IMGP3715.jpg

You can hike there from here as well... Ol Adolph actually hated the place, only stayed there a few times. But Eva Brown fancied it. They do have a restaurant there now.

I tink I covered two of the tree ;). Bicycle riding chicks are everywhere and most do have at least 10-15 pounds on their US sisters. Won't see much of it in my album, though...:):):)

Besides beer they also make this schnapps type of liquor -- Grassl. I loved the kind they made from Williams Pear. Locals call is "digestive", as you take a shot of it after the meal to "help settle the food down" as per the local we chatted up at the Beergarten. Boy does it ever. I am looking for the US supplier...

Beer... I think you can make out an American in Germany by the amount of food on the table relative to the amount of Beer on the table. At least ours was a total giveaway most of the time. Locals (as opposed to us) drink a lot but eat in moderation.

Fantastic -I did the ED deal myself 3 years ago, and wished many many many times that they offered that program for their bikes!

Fantastic -I did the ED deal myself 3 years ago, and wished many many many times that they offered that program for their bikes!

what I was thinking too. As the rumor has it, they might move away from doing ED for the 3 and 5 series as well, leaving only the high dollar models. That would suck. I was always a big fan of the 3 (this is my 3rd).

Thanks! Yes I went for the Welt shtick.

IMGP3418.jpg
Nice color :clap:

I would've had to go to South Carolina pick up mine.....of course they moved the new Z4 model production to Germany but if I was able to buy a new BMW it would be more along the lines of an M3....not likely to happen anytime soon.

Nice color :clap:

I would've had to go to South Carolina pick up mine.....of course they moved the new Z4 model production to Germany but if I was able to buy a new BMW it would be more along the lines of an M3....not likely to happen anytime soon.

The new M3 is 135i. I think both e46 and e90 M3 were/are a bit too much (fat, footprint, technology) IMHO.... Z4 is the best looking of the bunch, I love the coupe. I will do a Carolina pickup myself (an option with ED). I'm actually looking forward to visiting the PDC when the slow boat finally gets here.

I'd be rocking a 3 series diesel wagon.

They got plenty of those in Europe, even in small displacements like 1.8 diesel. Here all you get is 3.0l turbo, which is as fast as the gas engine, but the numbers just don't make sense on it...

Yeah, I've noticed that. My fiancé's aunt's BF's parents went to Germany to pick up a 3 series diesel sedan a few months ago.

Does vw offer a tdi sportwagen that you can pick up there?

Yeah, I've noticed that. My fiancé's aunt's BF's parents went to Germany to pick up a 3 series diesel sedan a few months ago.

Does vw offer a tdi sportwagen that you can pick up there?

Not sure if VW offers the Euro Delivery program. The parent Audi sure does, it had pretty much ripped off the entire BMW book page for page. Since this is about the "brand experience" I would be very surprised VAG would allow VW to "dilute" the Audi experience by also doing ED, but then I've never being a close follower of VAG wares.

BMW Experience :) and some BMW Welt pictures:

BMW "Experience" -- happy parents, bored kids
IMGP3513.jpg

IMG_0781.jpg

335i -- the flagman engine. Too bad the HPFP proved to be unreliable
IMGP3396.jpg

IMG_0738.jpg

IMG_0730.jpg

The new M3 is 135i. I think both e46 and e90 M3 were/are a bit too much (fat, footprint, technology) IMHO.... Z4 is the best looking of the bunch, I love the coupe. I will do a Carolina pickup myself (an option with ED). I'm actually looking forward to visiting the PDC when the slow boat finally gets here.
The 1M is awfully rare right now, not that many coming to the US but I definitely like it. Can't call it an M1 since they had one of those, which was a blast to look at and drive. The M3GTR would be a nice one :trust:

I know that Porsche has an ED program and Ferrari has had something similar for a long time. A former customer from many, many years ago had pics from when he picked up his 275GTB/4 (red with blue cloth interior) in the make ready yard in Maranello. That would make a nice trip as well.

The 1M is awfully rare right now, not that many coming to the US but I definitely like it. Can't call it an M1 since they had one of those, which was a blast to look at and drive. The M3GTR would be a nice one :trust:

You know, Terry Sayther used to have an M1 shell sitting next to his shop on Ben White. I believe I saw the engine block inside too. I don't know if he still has it... The original, true M3 (e30) is also pretty darn hard to come by, in any shape, let alone mint. My first BMW was an 328i e30, man did I love that car.

Back