• Welcome to the Two Wheeled Texans community! Feel free to hang out and lurk as long as you like. However, we would like to encourage you to register so that you can join the community and use the numerous features on the site. After registering, don't forget to post up an introduction!

2012 Uncle's Around the Bend - Blood, Sweat, and Beer

A few of us managed to sneak into Terlingua a day or two ahead of time. Folks came from all points of the compass...Austin, Kyle, Elgin, Bryan...even the great white north of Oklahoma. Our task: Grind knobs and stir up as much dust in the BB Ranch state park as we could without causing an international incident or getting ourselves tossed out of Brewster county in the process.

Although the fifty or so miles down River Road along the Rio Grande is a first rate ride for a street bike, we trailered over to avoid burning engine and knobs on wretched pavement.

P2290099.jpg

We hit the trail toward the Cienega mountains in the north western corner of the Ranch. This is said to be the most remote and untouched area of the park. It qualifies...

wide.jpg

P2290103.jpg

According to TPWD, the Ranch is bigger than all other Texas state parks...combined. This is certainly a place where one wants to avoid getting separated from the group. Everything out here has a sharp point on it somewhere...even the rocks.

P2290105.jpg

Lunch in the shade along a creek where knob trax are rare...or maybe just new. Here's the crew...Wes, Oilfieldtrash, Greeneggs&ham and JT...all rightly annoyed at the clown with the camera. If you wanted to put together a crew to ride with into the unknown...this is what it would look like. These boys can navigate the desert and ride motorcycles.

P2290112.jpg

Next day, several of us headed over to the National park where trails actually exist and most even have signs. The plan was to ride to the north end of the park and catch Old Ore, Black Gap and River Road west back toward Terlingua. These are all fun trails that can be ridden at a spirited pace...if one's bike behaves. This beautiful new Berg decided it was time to take the day off just after entering the park.

P3010114.jpg

We were seriously stuck with a dead bike out in the desert when who comes driving over the hill but Texasnh himself. We didn't know him (he's new to riding) and he didn't know us. "Are you on TWT?"...Yep. He doesn't hesitate to drop his bike from the trailer and load our dead Berg. Oh, and let Electrified ride his XR200 back to Terlingua. So, what good is TWT anyway?

texasnh.jpg

Seems the day was going to be a mechanical challenge all the way through. First flat is a pinch. Not enough that everything out here pokes holes...even the rocks get to play. Sam can change a flat front almost quicker than I can get the camera and figure out how to turn it on. Lets see if Mr Whistlebritches tire expert on youtube can make it look this easy without all his big fancy tools and windex...out in the Chihuahuan desert. Hmmm..?

P3010116.jpg

With all the mechanical hubbub we managed to ride Old Ore and shoot the Black Gap before beating it back to Terlingua for the evening festivities.

Day 3 saw the internationals heading south of the Rio Grande into the lands of Pancho Villa and Emilio Zapata. Since my passport had recently expired, I headed back to the Ranch for more abuse. Big A and company were headed out there and we planned to meet up for some fun in the central areas. I had bike starting problems and managed to miss them out there. Later, I met up with Bill, John and his son in law Troy. We banged around just doing some exploring and ran the Kong a time or two. The internationals had their time getting started too. Milton had a flat well down River Road and Big A had to dodge heavily armed INS just to get a cell signal to relay Milton's delima...Some days...

Last day was simply splendid in all respects. Weather, riding group, terrain, machines...everything. Eight of us trailered back to the Ranch to ride the Kong and the Epic trail...which includes the Oso loop. The biggest drawback to the Ranch is it takes a long time to get out there and that surely takes from your riding time. We made good use of what we had. The park folks have "improved" King Kong hill by grading away most of the bigger rocks and filling in some bike eating washes. It's still fun but it just ain't the same. However...

P3030126.jpg

One of our crew went over the edge coming down the Kong. Nobody knows why...not him...not the rider behind him. It just happened. Where the bike went down was a steep drop of big sharp blocks of solid rocks and cactus. The rider was pinned under the bike, unconscious and bleeding. It looked a lot like we were going to have a helicopter ride. After a few moments, he got up, shook it off and asked if somebody could please tell him what the heck just happened. We all did our best to annoy by quizzing him with bozo questions trying to make sure he really was good to go...he was. Tough son of a gun. Wear the gear friends.

P3030128.jpg

This is Wes getting the bike back up the hill and onto the road. You could say this young fellow can ride a motorcycle.

[ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5JNM-Pzb4As"]P3030127.MP4 - YouTube[/ame]

We continued on around the Oso loop finding a trail that ended in one of the most spectacular camping spots I've seen. A fellow in a Toyota FJ was camping there at a spot where you could look out into a huge valley surrounded on all sides by the mountains. As desert scenery goes...this spot is extraordinary.

We beat on down the "unmaintained 4X4" trail to Guale road where we found a hill that should surely have its own name. You know, anytime you look up and see a group of folks standing in one spot above the trail and half of them are holding cameras...well, they ain't there for socializing. Steep climb, loose rocks with ledges and turns...ahh...goooood stuff! Lots of fine carnage to follow...

[ame="http://youtu.be/Wd2mJc77kF8"]Carnage on Guale rd. - YouTube[/ame]

Later, we came to a fork in the Oso loop where going right soon leads back the park road and relative safety. Door number two - to the left - leads to several more miles of rough stuff before eventually rejoining the park road. Texasnh was part of our crew and riding his XR200, he had endured the nasties with a spirited determination that was just inspiring to watch. We stopped at the fork in the trail and everyone turned to him and asked...which way. He points his glove to the left and says "Lets go." Different kinda cat.

Everyone in the group would've turned back the sun and kept on riding if there was anyway we could. It was just that kind of a day when the crew is right, the terrain is awesome and everyone is dialed in. I can't really say what the elements are that make for this kind of a ride...I can only tell you that they all came together for us and it was good. Really good.

P3040132.jpg

Sunday morning and the hardest part of the trip. Before another beautiful desert sunrise, we load the bikes and gear to head back east. It's been a motorcycle fantasy trip to remember and I'll look back on it fondly when they put me in the old folks home and make me eat prunes and watch reality TV shows all day.

Richard and Connie did a super job of coordinating just the right amount of structured events for this rally. We enjoyed the best of company and fellowship with all kinds of riders at breakfast and evening get togethers. And the riding...well, nuff said. :clap:

Last edited by a moderator:
What a trip on Guale Rd. :eek2:

I don't know how you guys do it, and as difficult as it looks, you make it look fairly easy.

Wow. Just wow.

What ever happened with the Strom that had the broken clutch lever on Old Ore Rd., late in the day on Saturday? Last I heard they had a truck going out for them? Everyone okay?

What ever happened with the Strom that had the broken clutch lever on Old Ore Rd., late in the day on Saturday? Last I heard they had a truck going out for them? Everyone okay?

We got off Old Ore Rd. before dark. Made Study Butte in time for dinner and the fire dancing show. :thumb:

Around-the-Bend-2012-099-M.jpg

We got off Old Ore Rd. before dark. Made Study Butte in time for dinner and the fire dancing show. :thumb:

Around-the-Bend-2012-099-M.jpg

:tab When we came by and stopped to check on you guys, you did not look like you were having much fun :huh2: We asked the guys we ran into at Rio Grande to watch for you on their run up Old Ore and they are the ones that told us you had encountered problems. Sure glad to hear everyone got out okay!

Fire Twirling Pics

Riders,

Sandy, the woman who did the Fire Twirling at the banquet, would like to have any good pictures or videos you might have gotten of her performance. I've already pointed her to this thread so she can see the ones that are posted. If you have other pics or videos of her performance that you think are good please email them to her at sturvan@yahoo.com

Same day we did the Davis Loop, the run from Presidio to Terlingua...

Although the fifty or so miles down River Road along the Rio Grande is a first rate ride for a dual sport bike, we trailered over to avoid burning engine and knobs on wretched pavement.

Fixed it for ya
Losing a miniscule amount of knobby tire is a small price to pay for enjoying a nice twisty stretch of payment.

_

It's Donkey Kong Hill for sure. King Kong Hill is not graded like Donkey Kong Hill. I'm positive as I've helped push at least 8 bikes and their riders up King Kong Hill in the last 2 yrs.

Donkey Kong Hill and King Kong Hill have the same curvature as you approach them from the bottom so they do look similar. This year when we hit Donkey Kong Hill I was thinking it was King Kong Hill and was terribly disappointed that they had graded it. Then we found the true King Kong Hill.:rider:

Ok, RG has me questioning myself now.:doh: Can somebody pls confirm which steep hill is Donkey Kong and which is King Kong?

Guess I'm not so sure of myself afterall.

Ok, RG has me questioning myself now.:doh: Can somebody pls confirm which steep hill is Donkey Kong and which is King Kong?

Guess I'm not so sure of myself afterall.

This evening I'll post a map showing the location of King Kong Hill.

2012 Uncle’s Around the Bend – Blood, Sweat, and Beer

Day 1

Tricepilot called me several days before my departure for Uncle’s annual adventure rally in the desert that is Big Bend.
“Hey, where are you riding on Thursday?”
“Haven’t decided yet. What were you thinking about.”
“I want to ride Black Gap Road.”
“Okay, meet me at the Chili Pepper Café at 8 am on Thursday for breakfast and then we can go ride it together. I’m gonna post an invite on Two Wheeled Texans in case anyone else wants to go with us.”

I considered it for about 1 minute and came up with a counter-clockwise loop in the national park consisting of Old Maverick Road, River Road West, Black Gap Road, and then Glenn Springs Road back to pavement. And with that bit of deep thinking completed Day 1 of the rally was fully planned. Whoo, glad that’s done.

When Thursday morning finally arrived there were a dozen riders at the Chili Pepper ready to ride. That’s a little big for a single group so we split into two smaller groups and headed out.

After paying our entry fee, we scooted west on Old Maverick Road, which was a nice, fun prelude for the better riding to come.

201203Around-the-Bend26-6-XL.jpg

201203Around-the-Bend26-15-XL.jpg

201203Around-the-Bend26-22-XL.jpg

The unofficial name for Farm Road 170 running between Terlingua and Presidio is “River Road”. That 67 mile stretch of pavement is a wonderful ribbon of motorcycling nirvana that draws riders from near and far. But the road actually named “River Road” is a 51 mile primitive dirt road that traverses the southern edge of Big Bend National Park. The western half of River Road, appropriately known as River Road West, is the more difficult half of the road. In particular, the western most 10 miles of River Road West contains abundant pea gravel, sand, silt, dust, and other challenging surfaces – in other words, just the kind of class 2 riding we were looking for.

201203Around-the-Bend26-26-XL.jpg

201203Around-the-Bend26-27-XL.jpg

201203Around-the-Bend26-31-XL.jpg

201203Around-the-Bend26-43-XL.jpg

201203Around-the-Bend26-47-XL.jpg

201203Around-the-Bend26-53-XL.jpg

201203Around-the-Bend26-54-XL.jpg

201203Around-the-Bend26-59-XL.jpg

Last edited:
What a trip on Guale Rd. :eek2:

I don't know how you guys do it, and as difficult as it looks, you make it look fairly easy.

Wow. Just wow.

Teamwork.

That is a big part of what I enjoy about these rides. Everyone looks out for each other and everyone is always ready to jump in and do whatever needs to be done to bring everyone home. That makes for good times and good friends.

This is Wes getting the bike back up the hill and onto the road. You could say this young fellow can ride a motorcycle.

I met Wes for the first time on Friday, in Mexico.
He was just another young kid with a hot bike. yeah, yeah, yeah.

Until I saw him ride off the top of a 4 foot retainer wall...... for the fun of it !! :eek: :shock:
I tried to imagine what it would look like if I tried that. :giveup:

Thursday, River Road with Richard at Santa Elena Canyon
120301014-XL.jpg

La Tienda Harmonia
120301019-L.jpg

iPhone shot
120301241-L.jpg

120301037-XL.jpg

120301038-L.jpg

120301040-L.jpg

Big A had my back most of the way
120301043-L.jpg

And from the Basin
120301047-XL.jpg

:tab So after my post Christmas ride to the Big Bend Ranch State Park, I was still itching to get in some Big Bend area riding. I had another trip out to the Vegas area in the works to ride with Jimmy Lewis, but six 500 mile days of driving for two days of riding just didn't sit well. So I bailed on that and opted for Richard's gig because it has always been fun. I pinged Roger "Rquared" and he was up for it because he has never been in the National Park. I was contacted by Doug "Kerfuffle" and David Boyles about trailering out with me. We would meet them in Brenham, load them up, and keep on trucking. Time to prep the bike and start packing...

:tab The plan is to leave early Thursday morning, ride Friday and Saturday, return home Sunday. Roger arrives right on time... 6:30am... at my place in Huntsville and we were on the road by 7:00am. We roll into the DQ parking lot to find Doug and David at 8:15am. Doug has an F650 GS (the new parallel twin 800) and David a classic R1150GSA. I'm riding a KTM 530 EXC and Roger a KTM 450 EXC.

IMG_6905.jpg

IMG_6906.jpg

:tab We are back on the road by about 8:30am. We make a quick stop in Junction for diesel and lunch...

The sliced brisket was awesome
IMG_6907.jpg

... and after some boring driving, we arrive in Terlingua at the Chisos Mining Company Motel by 6:30pm, just in time to unload and head over to the High Sierra for dinner :eat:

The sun setting behind the motel
IMG_6908-pano.jpg

:tab At the High Sierra we find a great fajita buffet. I see lots of familiar faces and some new ones.

Milton, Richard, Connie and Stuntman Jeff - Obviously Richard's wild stories are getting old for Connie...
IMG_6911.jpg

:tab I make the rounds and shake a few hands after grabbing a bit to eat. Then I try to convince Uncle to give us the Terlingua Ranch tour, but he is not sure if he will be in riding condition tomorrow morning after a night of being forced to accept drinks bought for him by "fans". Still, he tells me to come by his place in the morning and we'll get something figured out one way or another.

:tab One beer leads to another and before I know it Roger and I find ourselves over at Uncle's place enjoying his fantastic hanging out facilities. It has some fancy Mexican name, but I think those brain cells were killed after we got there, so I forget... :twitch:

Couches, satellite radio, a dorm fridge for the beer...
IMG_6913.jpg

and some Glenfiddich... PD hanging out and relaxing.
IMG_6914.jpg

Roger is one of those early to bed early to rise types...
IMG_6916.jpg

:tab I am the opposite of Roger, late to bed and hate seeing sunrises, but we have had some great trips where we have roomed together.

:tab Soon Richard is regaling everyone with wild stories of a trip to Mexico years ago where we stumbled into a town around midnight, tired, hungry, thirsty and totally not expecting what would come next... But some things are better left in Mexico... So I will let you get the story straight from the horse's mouth ;-) After a few more beers, it is time to head to the motel and call it a night. If I have to be up at the freaking crack of dawn for breakfast and a rider's meeting, I have to be more like Roger tonight :sleep:

:tab Friday morning arrives. I had the alarm set for 7:00am. Annoyingly I wake at 6:00am and cannot get back to sleep. Oh well, I might as well go get breakfast.

Nice looking bike! Strange anti-theft tactics though... :wary:
IMG_6918.jpg

:tab Breakfast is good. I don't normally have my first meal of the day until around 1:00-2:00pm. I roll into work around 11:30 am on a typical day. I am a little fuzzy headed at this insanely early hour but there is something about being in this area that energizes me and I feel pretty good. I see Roger and he tells us to come by his place around 9:00am... ish... We pick up another rider that wants to run the same route as us, Howard on a WR250R.

:tab After gassing up the bikes and heading over to Roger's, it is 9:30am. Howard is there already. Roger is there but he's obviously not going to be riding. Instead, he introduces us to our "guide" for the day, Bob. Bob has been living here for the last few months and has racked up something like 7,000 miles on his KLX 200 in that time. As Roger puts it, "He's our Unofficial Official Road Inspector". It seems he has ridden every road there is in this area... and then some... Cool. So we head out with Bob in the lead. We make a quick stop to say howdy to Lt. Dan over at GS Motorents, and then head into the desert.

I love the colors out here!
IMG_6919.jpg

IMG_6919-pano.jpg

:tab The morning is cool and dry. I can tell it won't be long before I'll be wanting to remove my liner. Bob takes point and sets a nice pace. Howard falls in behind him, Roger called sweeper before I could, so I am third with him bringing up the rear. It works perfect. Bob and Howard run a little slower than Roger and I like to run, so we can stop and take pics, then catch up to Bob and Howard, stop and take pics, rinse and repeat as necessary.

:tab Our immediate goal is to make a run through Moon Valley. I've been there a few times in years past, but I was always running sweep and not really paying attention to where we were going. Couple that with an almost endless number of intersections requiring a decision on where to go... and well I have no clue how to actually get there. It turns out this time will be no different :doh: I get so focused on checking out the scenery and taking pictures that I lose track of where we turn, which hill we climb, etc,... Although, soon I start seeing familiar scenery.

IMG_6922.jpg

IMG_6923.jpg

End of the road. That is the National Park on the other side of the fence
IMG_6924.jpg

A familiar landmark, the rusting mountain...
IMG_6925.jpg

:tab I love the terrain, colors and feel of this area. I can easily understand how it got its name. The road condition is great, soft and crunchy dirt with a mix of random rocks. At the end of the road we stop for a break, shed layers, and then get moving again. Bob is doing a great job of leading and when we stop to talk it is obvious that he LOVES this area! As we head out, Roger and I let Bob and Howard get a ways ahead of us.

Doesn't this look like a shot that could have been taken by some planetary rover on Mars...? That is the road running down the center of the shot.
IMG_6926-pano.jpg

IMG_6927.jpg

Almost looks like someone spilled a load of rocks on the ground here...
IMG_6929.jpg

It's hard to judge scale out here, seeing Roger in these next few shots will help for the foreground stuff, but those mountains in the back ground are not too far away and are pretty good sized
IMG_6930.jpg

IMG_6931.jpg

IMG_6932.jpg

Same thing again... That peak above his head is actually pretty far behind him and quite high, but it looks like it is just right behind him and low.
IMG_6933.jpg

IMG_6934.jpg

IMG_6936-pano.jpg

Desolate and dry, but there are washes everywhere that indicate what things might be like when it does rain here... :shock:
IMG_6941.jpg

Only the hardiest of plants live out here, and even those get snacked on...
IMG_6942.jpg

And there is trash... This looks like the back off an old delivery truck. Inside are some lawn chairs sitting upright, almost as if someone were trying to use this for camping :doh:
IMG_6943.jpg

Bob (on left) and Howard
IMG_6944.jpg

Roger dropped his camera and had to double back... I think it was just an excuse to keep riding while we were stopped :lol2:
IMG_6945.jpg

IMG_6946.jpg

:tab We leave the little scenic overlook and start working our way West back to Hwy 118. I know somewhere out here there is a great road with some fun deep river gravel in it and I am looking forward to running it again. When we reach it, Roger and I stop again to let Bob and Howard get a good lead on us. Then we hit it! It's far too short and the fun is over all too soon and we are back to relatively smooth graded roads. Oh well... at least the scenery is still cool... hey that looks like snow... :ponder:

IMG_6947-pano.jpg

A close up lick inspection reveals all that white stuff to be salt - Roger is probably thinking I have lost it as I lick a finger and "test" the soil...
IMG_6951.jpg

:tab We soon reach Hwy 118 and turn North for the run up over the Mountains to the start of North County Road, where we continue heading West. Once again the terrain changes...

The well maintained roads of Terlingua Ranch
IMG_6953-pano.jpg

Hen Egg Mountain in the distance and a cool "holed" rock formation in the foreground that likely houses many flying critters
IMG_6954.jpg

IMG_6955.jpg

Fun roads and it is tempting to go fast, but we are guests here and also there is traffic on them, so we keep it relaxed and just enjoy being here.
IMG_6956.jpg

IMG_6957.jpg

IMG_6958-pano.jpg

Bob informed us that he named this formation... Rocky the Rockpecker... see him? :-P
IMG_6961.jpg

Bob's KLX and Howard's WR250R
IMG_6963.jpg

Lots of blind corners out here and you never know what might be coming the other way...
IMG_6965.jpg

:tab Soon the road breaks out into the open and becomes a fine silt. I try to stop on the side of the road to take pics and my kickstand just sinks right in. So I have to park in the road to find ground hard enough to hold up the bike. I have no idea why this is all fenced off as I can't imagine having any kind of livestock out here... I guess folks just want to know where property lines are :shrug:

IMG_6966-pano.jpg

IMG_6967.jpg

IMG_6968.jpg

IMG_6969.jpg

:tab And again the road/terrain totally changes... If you don't like what you are seeing, ride on for a bit and you'll see something totally different. It is surprising the amount of scenic variety out here in what everyone just thinks of as a big desert.

IMG_6970.jpg

"Hey man... does this thing on my head make me look dorky?"
IMG_6971.jpg

:tab I always have to remember to watch what I saw around Roger... I never know when he might be recording :cool2:

Bob and Howard attacking a long hill climb
IMG_6972.jpg

The little red circle is Howard cresting the hill
IMG_6974.jpg

Roger and I crest a hill and come upon a good sized wash. The climb out on the other side looks pretty rough and like it has been recently worked on where some rocks have been placed to fill in washed out areas. Howard is halfway up and stalled, unable to continue the climb. I park and walk up to ease him back a bit so we can get him on a different line. Rather than try to ride the last bit up, he elects to just walk the bike and slip the clutch. We get him to the top and then Roger hits it, making it look easy like he always does ;-)

Looking back the way we came - never looks as steep as it is... You know, I think I need to get a T-Shirt with that on it, and maybe a pic of a bike tumbling down a steep hill... :ponder:
IMG_6975.jpg

The KTM's live for this kind of stuff
IMG_6976.jpg

Waiting patiently for its turn...
IMG_6977.jpg

I take a moment to look for a good line... mount up and go.
IMG_6978.jpg

:tab The suspension on the KTM just soaks up the rocks and bumps. The bike just torques its way to the top as if the bit of nastiness were not even there. I love this bike...

Bob never misses a chance to stop and chat :lol2:
IMG_6979.jpg

A short easy climb to the top and away we go...
IMG_6980.jpg

IMG_6981.jpg

:tab Bob has a plan. I don't recall seeing a GPS on his bike, but he seems to know where he is going. He says he's ridden every road there is out here and I figure he's always made it back to town, so we are good. He said something about the "top of the world"...? Sounds like more hill climbs :dude:

That first circle is Bob's bright yellow helmet, which is great for keeping track of him, Howard coming up behind him.
IMG_6982.jpg

They just crested the hill to the left...
IMG_6983.jpg

There they go... I wait a little more... Don't want to catch up too soon :trust:
IMG_6984.jpg

Man... that hill just goes and goes!
IMG_6986.jpg

Wait!? What's Bob doing!? We're not going on up that big hill!? Oh... we're going around it... okay....
IMG_6988.jpg

And he takes off down another rabbit trail... I would be so lost out here as many of these roads are not on the GPS at all and I don't have a map :doh: Go BOB!
IMG_6990.jpg

There he is... Gotta keep looking for that helmet!
IMG_6989.jpg

We climb a few more hills, round a few more corners, and then there is this...
IMG_6992.jpg

IMG_6992-pano.jpg

And Bob and Howard are running off into the distance... I probably ought to catch up! That looks like it is going to be fun!
IMG_6993.jpg

IMG_6991.jpg

:tab Roger and I take off to catch up with the others. What can't be seen in the pictures are the numerous little switchbacks that are down behind little hills and dips. The road has a couple tight corners and snakes its way up the hill. Bob has already disappeared around the top of the hill. I come around a corner and see Howard standing next to his downed bike. I holler for him to wait so we can help him, but I keep on trucking as it is steep enough here that stopping could be difficult. I reach a less steep spot and stop to go back, but Roger has already managed to stop and is helping him lift the bike. They confer for a moment and then Roger rides the WR to the top. Howard starts a slow and unenviable walk to the top... It makes my heart pound just watching him :huh2:

IMG_6995.jpg

The road on the right actually turns pretty far back to the left of the shot, out of sight behind the hill before finally arriving where Roger and Howard are standing.
IMG_6996.jpg

Yeah... it IS steeper than it looks!! :lol2:
IMG_6997.jpg

Roger walking back down to retrieve his KTM
IMG_6998.jpg

I dunno... I just thought this twisted plant looked cool... what can I say? :shrug:
IMG_7000.jpg

:tab Roger makes it to the top with no problem. Howard and Bob have ridden on ahead. We follow a ridgeline a short way before arriving at a cool overlook, the top of the world...

IMG_7001.jpg

IMG_7001-pano.jpg

Looking back to the South... see all those roads twisting and winding all over the place... yeah, real easy to get lost out here... way far away from ANYTHING or ANYONE! Ride careful ;-)
IMG_7004.jpg

Looking back at part of the climb that got us here. Howard fell right about where that switch back is in the middle of the image.
IMG_7005.jpg

Follow that rocky ridge line from the right and it runs back to where we cut across, that picture above that has the big chunks of rocks laying in the road.
IMG_7005-pano.jpg

All great bikes for this kind of riding!
IMG_7010.jpg

Another view looking South
IMG_7011-pano.jpg

A great place for a "lunch stop" and some visiting - I think that is Hen Egg Mtn in the center in the far distance back to East
IMG_7013.jpg

Your's truly :mrgreen:
IMG_7016.jpg

:tab After a nice break, it is time to head down. Bob and Howard take off while Roger and I watch them head down the mountain.

IMG_7017.jpg

:tab Then we take off after them and eventually catch up. Now it is time to start working out way back South to Terlingua for some wet refreshment! The ride is not over yet, there is still a LOT of great riding between here and there. The up and down terrain makes for a lot of fun climbs/descents... That is... if you like that kind of thing ;-)

Howard chasing Bob to the top of another climb
IMG_7018.jpg

IMG_7019.jpg

:tab Scale is a tough thing to capture out here. Some things which are small may look massive. Other things ARE massive and look small. The rocks in this next picture ARE massive and the top of the ledge is actually quite high, easily a few hundred feet. The rock in the upper left corner just below the ledge is probably about 40 foot across and a few hundred yards from us.

IMG_7020.jpg

Almost looks like I could just ride right up it... almost... :-P
IMG_7021.jpg

No ride into the Terlingua Ranch would be complete without a stop at "The Hilton"!
IMG_7023.jpg

IMG_7024.jpg

:tab I have no idea what the story is on this place. I've been here quite a few times on previous rides. It is just a BUNCH of flat rocks stacked up to make a two room "house" with a patchwork roof over it.

The previous owner has departed... :zen:
IMG_7025.jpg

:tab Leaving the Hilton, the road is deep loose gravel. Fun. But soon it gives way to graded rocks and more hill climbs. I've been having a great time but the thought of a cool beer sitting on the Front Porch is starting to look large in my mind. Can't lose focus though as we aren't there yet and even a small lapse in concentration could lead to an ugly end... :wary:

Howard is really getting the hang of the hill climbs on his WR, rapping out the motor a little more rather than trying to chug the little 250 to the top
IMG_7026.jpg

IMG_7027.jpg

:tab And then the scenery changes again! :lol2:

It almost looks like someone was playing marbles out there with those rocks and they just forgot to pick them up when their Mom's called them to come home...
IMG_7029.jpg

:tab And finally we find ourselves riding into the North side of Terlingua and work our way to the Front Porch for a relaxing sit in the shade with a cool drink.

Different strokes for different folks :thumb:
IMG_7031.jpg

Dave "Cagiva549" hanging out
IMG_7032.jpg

Roger and Dave discussing the "parade" that is leaving the parking lot... something about Texas Independence Day...
IMG_7033.jpg

I use the term "parade" loosely... Note the canoe being towed behind an ATV...:brainsnap
IMG_7030.jpg

:tab Refreshed and relaxed, we head to the motel to clean up and start thinking about dinner.

Robert Krull seems to have gotten his hands on one of our large TWT banners, which I thought were already all spoken for, and displays it proudly :clap:
IMG_7034.jpg

Another great day of riding and she waits patiently for more...
IMG_7035.jpg

:tab I can't remember the name of the place, but there is a great pizza joint just West of town on Hwy 170. doesn't look like much from the outside but they have great pizza!!

Robert and Carla enjoying their meal.
IMG_7036.jpg

Walt, Chris "Dirtbomb" and Arnold "BigA". Walt is a volunteer at the National Park. Came down here from somewhere way up North...
IMG_7037.jpg

:tab After a great pizza dinner, we head back up to the Starlight to see what's happening. Someone said something about dancing girls... All we saw was an old dude jamming on a squeeze box! He was good.

IMG_7038.jpg

:tab After a beer or few... I head over to the Front Porch general store to see if I can find anything cool to get for the kids. They don't get to come on the trips with me yet, so I like to try to find stuff for them to give them an idea of what Dad is doing when he takes off with his nutty motorcycle friends. I get a couple of cool books (they love books) that have great images of the Big Bend area, a great book about spiders and all manner of bugs, and another that explains a lot of the geology of the area. That last one turns out to be timely because their home school co-op is starting a segment on volcanoes! Then it is back to the hotel for an evening of hanging out and telling stories with a bunch of great folks!

Scott, Great writeup! Really enjoyed riding with you, Bob and Roger. I keep thinking practice makes perfect. I have a lot of practicing to do:rofl:

That is from Herman's Peak Rd. It is about 400 yards past my driveway. I waved as y'all rode past but I don't think you were looking to the right. My WRR was parked out near the road as a 'rider friendly sign'. When y'all went by you were very focused on the road ahead.

:thumb:
I recognize the view. Uncle's favorite ride, maybe?

Here's the map showing the location of King Kong Hill
King-Kong-Hilledited-1-XL.jpg

Day 3 – Friday – The Fun Run

So if you remember from the last chapter, during our ride, one of the Aussie ladies had a slight problem with motivation. After TexasNH helped get Steve back to the hotel, Steve started the diagnosis process by pulling the bike’s sub frame and fuel tank to check for pinched wires or any disconnected sensors. None found. Steve had picked up some carb cleaner in Study Butte. We were going to see if the injector was plugged. Friday morning started with removing the injector, not hard since Steve had everything disconnected. Once removed, before the cleaning process started, I happened to have my Fluke multimeter so we did an ohm check on the injector. 0 ohms resistance, Hmm, we had another injector from Ewall, who had a clogging problem. His injector had 10 ohms. That is more like it. So there is no use cleaning this injector, it’s just bad. Steve would ride Oilfieldtrash’s spare Yamaha. Same color, just a smaller engine, and hopefully a better attitude.

Steve (Electrified), Eric (Ewall) and I were going to ride the River Road in the National Park from west to east. Since it was close to 10:00 and everyone else had left, the three of us headed out to the west end of the park. After going thru the gate, just as we turned onto Old Maverick Road, I noticed a rider sitting in the parking area in the shade of the kiosk. He was riding a Husaberg! We pulled up and started the inquisition. “Everything OK?” “Well, it could be better!” “Bike died?” “I pulled up to the booth to pay my fee and when I restarted, it started, but then died.” Right away Eric said “fuel pump!” Eric has already replaced both his fuel pump and his injector at different times. So we did some tests and without a fuel pressure gage, we concluded that Eric was right. We tried to get him to let us go get a truck for him – but he insisted he didn’t want to stop anybody’s ride. His plan was to go to the Park entrance and ask a tourist for a ride back to Terlingua. I hate leaving anyone, it just isn’t right, but he insisted he would be OK. :shrug:

So off we went south on Old Maverick Road. Not many pictures on this day, we were riding at a pretty good clip.

Santa Elena Canyon, everyone has already seen this shot.

Big_Bend_2012_036_twt.jpg

The next stop was at the Rio Grand Village Store. On the way from the canyon to the store, I noticed that the road was paved. I went into the park information office and asked, “Is this road paved all the way to 385?” “Yes it is.” That may change our plans. I went out to Steve and Eric and said, “Well, this road is paved all the way north.” “That’s no good,” replied Eric, “I want dirt.” We went over to the map and I told them that we could go down River Road, all the way to Back Gap Road and out to 385. You see, I wasn’t sure Steve and Eric would enjoy Black Gap Road. But it was decided that dirt was important – throw caution to the wind! :flip:

Off we go east on River Road. Great dirt right off, we are having a pretty brisk ride when we come up on a pack of KLR’s. Just after I pass the last one, I come to the first sand pit where the now famous BigA had his picture taken. I hop off in there with similar results, I continue up the trail about 100 feet and stop on a rise to the right. I look back to see two of the KLR’s just sitting staring at the pit of sand. First Steve came along and jumped right in, and about 15 seconds later Eric jumped right in. If I had grabbed my camera while sitting there, I could have taken some good shots. Not nearly as good as Richard’s, but at least a shot of these two guys hittin’ the sand.

It didn’t take too long to get to the entrance to Black Gap Road.

Big_Bend_2012_039_twt.jpg

And here is a shot of Steve. Once again, I didn’t have the camera out when Eric came up. Sorry.

Big_Bend_2012_040_twt.jpg

All went well on the trip up Back Gap Road to Glen Springs and then to 385. Very good ride, and we got back to the hotel fairly early.

While eating that evening at the Starlight, I recognized the gentleman who we had seen earlier with the non responding Hussy. He said a park ranger came by and gave him a ride to Study Butte, where he asked Lt. Dan to help him with his cycle. Lt. Dan and the rider went back to the park in a pickup to get the bike. When they arrived, it started! Those Euro bikes have a wicked sense of humor! :wary: I don’t know whether he rode it any more that weekend, but he said he had a 2 stroke KTM where he was staying that he was sure would run.

It was a great ride, a good pace, a little warm, but we didn’t stay stopped very long! And Steve enjoyed the little blue 250 Yamaha. :rider:

Last edited:
Sam , we sure appreciate having you around . Nice ride report. We have to pitch in and get you a video camara;)

Back