• Welcome to the Two Wheeled Texans community! Feel free to hang out and lurk as long as you like. However, we would like to encourage you to register so that you can join the community and use the numerous features on the site. After registering, don't forget to post up an introduction!

1250 Bandit weight loss

Reaction score
Welcome Yogi!

Can you describe with more detail the mods that you've made to shave weight? What about some pics? :)

I thought it might be useful if I started this reply as a new thread - I hope it might help someone who is going through the same thought process :)

These weight loss figures show the net weight removed, ie the total weight of the standard components, less the total weight of any replacement parts. All weights in Kg and anything less than 500 grams not shown

5.50 - Arrow Downpipes (stainless)
3.45 - Arrow Silencer (alloy)
5.30 - Remove fairing and fit Koso speedo & MX headlamp
3.82 - Remove ABS and fit braided hoses
3.01 - Remove Centre stand
2.52 - Lightweight battery
1.91 - Remove Grab rail, frame balance weights, number plate bracket & tools
1.28 - Remove rear footrests & all footrest weights
1.17 - GSX650F seat
0.90 - Renthal bars (no bar ends)
0.64 - Renthal rear sprocket

30.54 kg - Total weight loss from a standard 1250 SA

How it looks now - but please note that I didn't do any of the mods for looks, I just wanted to lose as much weight as possible

PSDDSCN7410c.jpg

Koso clocks. These will be moved inside the enduro headlamp fairing but I have come to the conclusion that all these aftermarket clocks are a very poor substitute for the originals ... not easy to fit, wildly inacurate, no water temp display on this model, no integration with the warnings from the ECU ... etc etc

DSCN8374c.jpg

Lightweight battery and original

DSCN6079c.jpg

Lightweight battery on the bike

DSCN6064c.jpg

That's about as far as I want to take it for now, apart from the mirrors which are off my old 600 Bandit and will be replaced

Thanks Yogi!

Aesthetic changes are pretty much a matter of personal taste.
Having that in mind I'd like to put you some questions, that are more " technical ":

1) The battery has the same specs than the oem?
2) I see that you live in UK...how does the battery cops with low temperatures? Any issues so far?
3) GSX seat; is it a straight forward replacement?
4) Do you think that the braking of the bike has improved?
5) Renthal sprocket; I've read ( and heard ) that aluminium sprockets aren't a good solution for road bikes, because of the quick wear. What's your opinion \ input about this, based upon your experience?
6) In % ( from 0 to 100 ) how much would you quantify the improvement of the bike in these itens:

a) handling;
b) performance ( i.e. acceleration, top speed );
c) braking;
d) fuel consumption;
e) anything else that you consider important;

Thanks for sharing! :)

Thanks Yogi!

Aesthetic changes are pretty much a matter of personal taste.
Having that in mind I'd like to put you some questions, that are more " technical ":

2) I see that you live in UK...how does the battery cops with low temperatures? Any issues so far?
5) Renthal sprocket; I've read ( and heard ) that aluminium sprockets aren't a good solution for road bikes, because of the quick wear. What's your opinion \ input about this, based upon your experience?
6) In % ( from 0 to 100 ) how much would you quantify the improvement of the bike in these itens:

a) handling;
c) braking;
d) fuel consumption;

Thanks for sharing! :)

I just bought the battery that the supplier recommended (Shorai are a US equivalent). Lithium Ferrous Nano Phosphate batteries need more care than normal lead acid batteries ... you can't let the charge drop too low or they are scrap

It's been faultless for about a year but it has been struggling to turn the engine over in the cold weather - even though it's been kept fully charged on an Optimate. I called the supplier each time it happened and he very quickly came to the conclusion that it was slightly under powered for the bike. He asked me to return it .... and then sent me a brand new (more powerful) lightweight battery! Absolutely brilliant customer service. This guy deserves a mention ... so a big thank you to Calum at Racing Batteries in the UK (02476 715780) http://www.racingbatteries.co.uk/

Yes (GSX650F)

Yes, definitely (but obviously I can't think as quickly as an ABS micro chip)

I've only done 4000 miles on this sprocket so I can't really comment on wear. I think Renthal sprockets are quite tough though ... have a look at this: http://www.renthal.com/File/product14.asp

6) In % ( from 0 to 100 ) how much would you quantify the improvement of the bike in these items:

To be continued ... Moto GP practice has just started so I need to go and watch it :)

a) handling;
c) braking;
d) fuel consumption;

I tried to answer your questions but in addition to the weight loss, my bike also has upgraded suspension, non-standard brakes and non-standard geometry . Although the handling and braking are now much better than standard, it would be difficult to determine the contribution that weight loss alone has made

The bike also has non-standard gearing, which will affect acceleration, top speed and fuel consumption. Again, it would be difficult to determine the contribution that weight loss alone has made

I'm thinking about shaving some more weight off of mine. Been thinking about removing the ABS like you have. Were there any issues involved in doing so?

I'm thinking about shaving some more weight off of mine. Been thinking about removing the ABS like you have. Were there any issues involved in doing so?

Hi HobbyMachinist,

I've already documented it all in another forum ... I'll copy the relevant information and paste it into a new thread for you :)

" I tried to answer your questions but in addition to the weight loss, my bike also has upgraded suspension, non-standard brakes and non-standard geometry. "

What mods have you made to the suspension?
Geometry? Jack-up kit?

" I tried to answer your questions but in addition to the weight loss, my bike also has upgraded suspension, non-standard brakes and non-standard geometry. "

What mods have you made to the suspension?
Geometry? Jack-up kit?

Forks re-valved and re-sprung by Maxton Engineering in the UK
Maxton rear shock
Front ride height lowered ... still playing around with it but testing -5 to -10 mm

Any of you " mods guys " have tried a jack-up raising kit? If so, what real benefits have you felt?

Not a 1250 ... My 1200 "S" to "N"...

Looks good Ross .... did you have to replace the clocks? On the 1250, the faired clocks are supported by the fairing subframe so can't just be mounted on a standard unfaired bracket

Nice headlamp brackets too ... what are they?

Thanks

Edit:
I've just seen your blog ... all questions answered :)

Looks good Ross .... did you have to replace the clocks? On the 1250, the faired clocks are supported by the fairing subframe so can't just be mounted on a standard unfaired bracket

Nice headlamp brackets too ... what are they?

Thanks

Edit:
I've just seen your blog ... all questions answered :)

No used the clocks from the bike. Just painted the backs of them black. I made a bracket for them.

REad through this http://rossmz.blogspot.com.au/search/label/How%20to%20convert%20a%20faired%20Bandit from my blog. Will show who I got stuff from and how I did what I did. :trust:

Back