• Welcome to the Two Wheeled Texans community! Feel free to hang out and lurk as long as you like. However, we would like to encourage you to register so that you can join the community and use the numerous features on the site. After registering, don't forget to post up an introduction!

2003 BMW R1150RT - Houston TX

Reaction score
I'm selling my 2003 R1150RT with 68K. I've owned the bike a year and put less than 1K on in that time as I also bought a 2016 F700GS that is a bit more fun for around town trips. Bike got new tires when I bought it, and I had the local BMW shop change all the fluids, ABS brakes were bled and new SS brake lines were installed. Bike is in good condition although it idles a bit rough which is probably a sign the fuel injectors need a service and the throttle bodies need to be resynched. Battery and starter have been replaced right before I got her. Recently I thought the battery needed replacing so I have a new battery in the box but the existing battery is fine now that it got a good charge from the CTEK battery tender. The only thing that doesn't work is the fuel gauge (I just use the trip odometer to tell me when to fill up). Has a new Sargent seat (comes with stock seat too). Includes the top hard bag to go with the side saddle bags. I'm asking $2650 for the bike. If you have questions shoot me a message. Wish I could keep her but she just isn't getting ridden enough.

R1150RT.jpg

Looks nice. These are solid bikes. The servo ABS is the only big bite that comes along eventually, especially if the fluid is not changed regularly. Looks like a throttle lock on it as well.

If a TWTer buys it, I can help you service it inexpensively, including the throttle body sync, if you want to ride over to Thorndale and spend a day at the ranch :-) It will take a day as the block /heads need to cool back to ambient temp to adjust valves to perfection before syncing throttle bodies. You need to change oil and filter, spark plugs unless recently done, final drive, transmission, and brake fluids as best you can (probably would not mess with that if the shop did it a year ago and changed to stainless lines). This vintage was still under the older annual service recommendation of all fluids but forks independent of mileage even though that may be excessive given only 1 K miles on it in a year. The single spark models were very sensitive to throttle body sync and valve adjustment. Another thing to check is when the fuel filter was last changed. Its a 24k item and a bit of work as its embedded in the tank.

Thanks for your offer Ed, very kind of you. Who knows, if someone doesn't pop up who really wants this I may hang on to it and take you up on the valve adjust and throttle body sync. While all the fluids were changed last year, the plugs weren't changed, I guess I could pull those to see what they tell me. I don't know when the fuel filter was changed.

Guess I should lower the price a little to fan the flames of desire. New price of $2350 but no more 'extra' battery as a friend with a dead battery claimed that prize.

Update the price on the title thread.

Back