• Welcome to the Two Wheeled Texans community! Feel free to hang out and lurk as long as you like. However, we would like to encourage you to register so that you can join the community and use the numerous features on the site. After registering, don't forget to post up an introduction!

2004 XR400R Street Legal Dualsport

DCF

Reaction score
vEsv5hr.jpg

pCO8mgc.jpg

WXsS9CE.jpg

This XR400 has a Baja Designs street legal/dual sport kit + high output stator and has a clean TX title. The bike has a stock motor and exhaust but is outfitted with a Mikuni pumper carb, IMS extended range tank, skid plate, handguards, rear rack, shark fin, and a various other mods aimed at making it more capable but not louder or high maintenance. This bike acted as everything from my daily commuter to a reliable partner traveling down the continental divide. Selling because I can no longer ride. Comes with various sprockets and other minor items. Right front blinker decided to crack on the last trip out, I have replacements ordered and will replace when they show up.
I cannot recall if the previous owner was the first or second. He was a motorcycle mechanic and had recently moved from AZ to manage the local Harley dealer's service shop. That was around 2010. I assume riding in AZ involved plenty of throttle in the sand but he had a super clean Buell sitting next to it that helped convince me he took good care of his toys. I can tell you that I have personally put something like 15k miles on the bike and ran Mobil 1 Racing 4T. It saw a mix of highway, street, and trail use.
The previous owner installed the kit, along with a Vapor dash, which I eventually replaced with a cheap mechanical speedo after the second replacement hall sensor ate a rock and I got tired of not being able to glance down at my speed in the dark. I replaced the Ni-Cad pack that comes with the kit with a tiny gel cell (still behind headlight) so I could reliably power gps and com when the bike was off. The giant trailer light is in addition to the kit light and can, like the rack, easily be removed for enhanced sex appeal. I also added a switch to the rear brake pedal since the kit only actuates the brake light from the front lever. I do not have the stock tool kit or original tank. This tank is not the giant Acerbis desert tank but it is certainly larger than stock. If you would prefer stock I am sure one of my friends with a stock tank would swap. I attached a tool tube under the left fender and would probably include the tools (such as Motion Pro tire iron/wrenches).
If you want a bike that will take you to the end of the road and then keep going, this is the one. No test rides without a MC license, your helmet, and cash.
Asking $2700, Located in Bryan, TX

Stock suspension. It works well for a ~175lb rider, but I suggest a spring swap for 200+lb riders based on my 230lb friend's before/after experience.

A word to the wise for anyone pulling apart XR forks: do not follow the service manual. There was much weeping and gnashing of teeth to get the first fork done using the compress + socket method, so we asked the Honda shop service tech for some free advice. He looked at us like the idiots we were and told us to use an impact wrench. 2 mins vs 2hours.

Back