• Welcome to the Two Wheeled Texans community! Feel free to hang out and lurk as long as you like. However, we would like to encourage you to register so that you can join the community and use the numerous features on the site. After registering, don't forget to post up an introduction!

2013 Triumph Tiger 800 XC First Impressions & Mods

Hail

Reaction score
First Name
Brad
Today I rode my new 2013 Triumph Tiger 800 XC the ~170 back from Crawford Texas to Tomball Texas. All in all I am very impressed with the bike.

It has awesome brakes. The engine is the smoothest of any bike I have ever ridden. It is so linear and predictable, if not for engine noise, I would have thought it was an electric motor. The heat coming off the engine did not bother me. It was very similar to my old FZ1 and other naked bikes I have ridden and I am used to it.

When you first see the bike up close it looks big (think big GS) but once you are in the saddle if feels very sporty and not so big. The bike handles in a very sporty fashion as well which make me very very happy because I get to go off road AND enjoy the twisties!

The foot pegs are pretty high which adds to the sporty feel. I had the seat in the low position because of my short inseam but I think I am going to raise it to the higher setting. My knees were actually more bent than I would have liked and started to hurt. Besides I am so used to the DRZ I know I don't have to flat foot both sides. The seat is one of the most comfortable stock seats I have ever had the pleasure to sit on. Ergos over all seem similar to my old FZ1.

Trip was reset before I left sellers home. One cool thing about the Triumph instrument panel is that it includes, as standard, a gear indicator. I have to admit it is handy especially when getting to know a new bike.
ride_home.jpg

First thing I wanted to do when I got home is remove the stock skid plate and install the AltRider Skid plate.
stock_skid.jpg

For those of you who did not believe I wrench. Here is an action shot. I can't lie to you guys... I just posed for the photo and my wife did the work.
Me_Wrenching.jpg

New Skid Plate Installed
Alt_rider_skid1.jpg

Alt_rider_skid3.jpg

Alt_rider_skid2.jpg

More photos soon! Running off now to get my suspension setup just for me.

Re: 2013 Triumph Tiger 800 XC First Impressins & Mods

Good ending to a hot story. Now everyone is happy and carefree. I like that the BMW that I just got has the gear indicator also. On the Connie I always think it needs or has another gear. Now you need to make the trip in October to the Meet and Greet in Gatesville to show it off. Really close to where you picked up the bike.

I forgot to add that shifting was smooth as silk. If not for the gear indicator I would not have been able to tell that I actually shifted half the time. I am so used to bikes that CLUNK in to gear.

Beautiful bike and perfect color. With it's dirt road capability and good MPG, the Tiger is one I have been thinking about for a longer distance tourer.

I forgot to add that shifting was smooth as silk. If not for the gear indicator I would not have been able to tell that I actually shifted half the time. I am so used to bikes that CLUNK in to gear.

Glad you're enjoying your "cool" new item! I hear you're "hot" on it. :rofl:

Guess they smoothed them out on the newer ones. The gearbox on the Sprint is the clunkiest one I've ever dealt with.

From what I can see, you might benefit from Fastway pegs. On the GS, it brings them down to the level of the top of the mounting clevis. It makes a huge difference.

Back