• Welcome to the Two Wheeled Texans community! Feel free to hang out and lurk as long as you like. However, we would like to encourage you to register so that you can join the community and use the numerous features on the site. After registering, don't forget to post up an introduction!

2014 Around the Bend - a "Super" Ride in Big Bend

:doh:If I recall correctly, I was that young man riding the large Triumph Tiger that you so kindly helped to pick up. Let me thank you again, profusedly! The insurance total the bike because the frame got compromised at the passenger footpeg. Anyhow, the story still been told at any campfire site. You were the only witness to corraborate the story. BTW, it was a 955 Tiger and I still miss her even though bought a 990 Adventure with the insurance payoff. I still believe I hit a sink hole.

You're welcome!! I didn't actually see you crash-just a huge mushroom shaped dust cloud that rose and then was swirled away by the wind. I came around the corner and you were down. There is a deep little erosion ditch/rut there that runs diagonally across the road. There was huge dust cloud from your crash. I figured somene was down.

That was my first ride back following "Major work injury 1" where I had my left pec muscle reattached and I recall worrying about it helping you pick up your Tiger bike up in the sand wash. This years ride was first major ride back following "Major work injury 2" where I had right shoulder socket, rotator cuff/labrum rebuilt, and bicep reattached. (and everyone thinks motorcycles are dangerous.....)

Are those dates firm? That is spring break week for most of Texas K-12 schools and universities. :scratch: It doesn't prevent us from traveling, but the hotels I called expect to be full with families and kids and offered no specials.

March 19 -22, 2015

Are those dates firm? That is spring break week for most of Texas K-12 schools and universities. :scratch: It doesn't prevent us from traveling, but the hotels I called expect to be full with families and kids and offered no specials.

Man; that is some serious planning -- almost a year out and already booking hotels. And I thought I was a planner....lol

Spring break encompasses the middle two weeks in March (most school take spring break either the second week or the third week in March). So, 3 weekends in March are spring break weekends for somebody. There were spring break folks in Terlingua during this year's rally (and in previous year's rallies held in March).

The only way I see to avoid spring break is to either move the rally to the last weekend in Feb or the last weekend in March.

Is that an option or would it conflict with another ride or event already in place? I was just checking on group rate options for the riders which are not available on high demand dates. If it's open for voting, I vote for February pre-Spring Break. If it's not open for voting...I'll go sit in the corner and eat worms... :-?

A bit of history: For a dozen years or so the Ride the Rio rally was held the last weekend in Feb in Terlingua. When the organizers of that rally stopped holding the rally, Uncle didn't want to see it end and decided to continue the tradition with his Around the Bend rally, held on the last weekend in Feb. During the 19 years these two rallies have been held the primary challenge has always been bad (cold) weather. Bad weather is really bad for a rally so I moved the rally to early March. Even so, we've still had some challenging weather in the past (including this year's rally), hence the reason for bumping it another week later.

I'm against having the rally earlier in the year because of the higher probability of bad weather.

I am open to having someone else take over the organization of the rally and hosting it in February or whichever month they choose to have it. If anyone out there is interested in taking over Uncle's rally, give me a call.

I'm not opposed to moving Uncle's rally later in March but doing so eliminates me organizing a second rally in the spring (which, until this year, I've been doing with the Texas Adventure Ride). If Uncle's rally is the only rally I'm going to organize in the spring, then the end of March will work. If we want the option of having more than 1 spring rally, then the dates for each rally have to be considered in relation to each other.

Last edited:
Richard I can only imagine the effort it takes to plan and execute a rally of this magnitude. I have never been able to attend one of your rallies but they are always on my list of things to do if the moon and stars align just right. There will always be schedule conflict with any event, just plan it put the dates out early (which you have done) and let it be.:zen:

Thanks to you and all ride organizers who put forth the effort to provide riding opportunities for all to enjoy.:clap:

I will be in the corner eating worms with TravelDiva and watching my schedule hoping to be able to attend next year.

I am open to having someone else take over the organization of the rally and hosting it in February or whichever month they choose to have it. If anyone out there is interested in taking over Uncle's rally, give me a call..

Ah, I don't think so. Nobody else can do this quite like Trail Boss & Connie & Uncle & Co.

"Move the Date"/"Switch the Route"/"Can I have a Medal vs a T Shirt" inputs typically come from audience members who think they have an idea but actually have no idea how much work it takes to pull off an event like this.

Proof in the pudding will be someone who takes Richard up on the above offer, and makes it work as good as he (and his family) make it every year.

Good luck with that!

Travel Diva was doing work as an additional sideline resource trying to lock in discount rates for the majority of riders who dont camp. She wasn't trying to take over or change anything from Richard's Rally planning that is already locked in. No harm in inquiring once. Being a travel agent she knows the ropes and hence started researching one year in advance to help save us all some money on hotel accomodations. Who wouldn't rather stay at Lajitas Resort & Spa for the same rate as the BB Resort Dive? Or stay at BB Dive for $25 less per night if a group rate can be booked for the entire hotel? For high demand/high season dates nobody will work with you as they are guaranteed to be fully booked anyway.

Woman_Eating_Worms.jpg

_

You can't please everyone all the time. I don't care when you have it. All I know is I WILL BE going next yr. I'm my kid is old enough to drive he's old enough to stay a nite or two by himself!

Just to be clear, TravelDiva was simply trying to help and was asking her questions in that same spirit.

The comment about being open to having someone else take over the rally was not related to her questions about moving the dates. It was just an opportunity for me to let the DS community know that I am open to passing the reigns of Uncle's rally on. I don't want to see the rally end but with my schedule it's a bit of a challenge getting everything done that I want to do.

SilverBullet, when did you take that picture of me eating...?? Love it! ;D

Sent from my Nexus 5 using Tapatalk

Darlin, I told ya the horse radish sauce will make those go down much better. Sure works on CROW.....

Sent from my Nexus 4 using Tapatalk

Richard,

I see on your website that the date for the 2015 8th Annual Uncles Around the Bend and other details have been "posted", but I think I somehow entered in by the backdoor by accident. Is there a thread somewhere I am missing announcing Uncle's on TWTEX for 2015? Very much looking forward to another incredible ride in the bend. Please don't hand this over to anyone else, just yet.

Pedro Norte

Richard,

Is there a thread somewhere I am missing announcing Uncle's on TWTEX for 2015? Very much looking forward to another incredible ride in the bend. Please don't hand this over to anyone else, just yet.

Pedro Norte

Unfortunately, there won't be an Uncle's rally in 2015.

I was planning on 2015 being the last year that I organized the rally (with hope that someone else would pick up the reins after that). Unfortunately, life is really busy for me, making rally organization too challenging right now. Uncle and I discussed it several times and we decided that 2014 was my last year.

Boo! I had a blast last year. I understand all about time issues though. Maybe there can be a consensus on an informal date for an informal meet up?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Unfortunately, there won't be an Uncle's rally in 2015.

I was planning on 2015 being the last year that I organized the rally (with hope that someone else would pick up the reins after that). Unfortunately, life is really busy for me, making rally organization too challenging right now. Uncle and I discussed it several times and we decided that 2014 was my last year.

Thanks so much for all the hard work you and your family put on for this event, just so others can "show up and ride." You have provided countless riders an introduction to the fantastic riding in Big Bend, and more than that, all the great memories that go with it. :clap::clap::clap:

Yes I'm with the doc I think I speak for the masses when I say we greatly appreciated the time that you did put this event on thanks

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Yes, thank you for all that you've done to organize the Uncle's Rally. Last year was awesome!

Thank you Richard and Connie and all the volunteers (yourselves included) for all the hard work over the years. I know we only made it out a few times, but like to think we made an impact with the poster for the final Desert Challenge (which I finally got to see in the loo at Robert and CC's bbq this past weekend). Ride on!

Back