• Welcome to the Two Wheeled Texans community! Feel free to hang out and lurk as long as you like. However, we would like to encourage you to register so that you can join the community and use the numerous features on the site. After registering, don't forget to post up an introduction!

2014 Around the Bend - a "Super" Ride in Big Bend

I think Im going to pull the spare out of that front fender carrier and check it. I understand they will will wear out in the front fender carriers from friction, I guess coating them with baby powder in the carrier is a good practice.

i-qpcJKBb-L.jpg

Here is the actual tube Ed29 gave me after the Adventure Challenge for the Mad Scientist Tire Academy Museum. This was supposed to be a tube for Milton's front tire, but as you can see, dry rot, seam separation, or whatever you want to call it, rendered this tube useless.

What if it was the only tube available? :eek2: Patch kit, sure. Hey! is the glue tube dry too? :eek2:

Keep in mind, this was a stored, "brand new" tube! :eek2:

There are many techniques - but I'm currently using this:

(1) Examine each spare before the ride
(2) Douse each tube with talcum powder
(3) Wrap in Saran Wrap. This preserves the talc so the tube will be less prone to kink in the tire carcass when installed, and also help with friction prevention when being carried around as a spare on the bike.

I took a front spare and a rear spare on the ride (plus patches etc.), and as for this year's Uncle's Ride, I took 2 extra spares for each tire in the truck out there in case I needed to replenish the bike stock or loan to someone else.

EXCELLENT POINTS!!

i USUALLY replace the glue & tube annually

i think i will add a bit of powder & try the SARAN WRAP trick, as well

thx

sw

Thanks to Richard, Connie, Uncle, sweep, and everyone else that helped make this a great ride. This is a picture of our group on Old Ore Road during the desert challenge. Great guys...we met last year, and road again this year. I am happy and proud to have completed both challenges. Superman indeed!

Attachments

• photo.jpg
    photo.jpg
    58 KB · Views: 246
Great stories! I'm gonna try my darndest to make this ride next year! I would have been there this year but I don't have a bike yet. Still looking...

Vogl I'm the young guy that road with you on the adventure challenge we need to ride some time

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Jordan it was a real pleasure riding the adventure challenge with you. Man, you really kept that KLR on point all day, and had our group riding right through all the assorted challenges. You did a great job of being our lead rider. Most admirable that you also rode out and back to this event on your bike. That is true confidence in both machine and rider capability. I salute your riding spirit, and your execution. :clap::thumb::dude:

Thanks man I liked those 60 mile an hour races around those 20 mile a hour turns on the way back to study butte lol good fun

We should give a shout out to Logan too. He was rock solid on that little WR250... all day long. He also saved Julies' bacon with that extra fleece jacket when the temps fell through the floor at Marfa. Fun times, thanx Logan we all enjoyed riding with you.

On Traveldiva's and my way out of Terlingua we watched Joshua experience the cold windy wet weather all the way to Ft. Stockton. We even saw snow on the ground:eek2: outside of Alpine and we felt for ya buddy. :zen:

Absolutely Logan was a great rider especially on pinto canyon road where the first sharp turn with a long drop off I locked the back tire up and almost slid off the edge he went around me like the turn was nothing yelling "you alright" once I nodded and yelled "yea man" he was gone. Good times

My6 it was pretty nippy on the way to fort Stockton I ended up stopping at another gas station shortly after seeing y'all at the gas station and went to the bathroom turned on the hot water to thaw my hands out lol good times

Put some grips warmers on that bad boy. I love mine.:zen:

i-5cbFB5H-L.jpg

i-Wb4WFWk-L.jpg

i-j3qmCth-L.jpg

At Rio Grande Village, more tire drama. I believe there was a problem here with a Tubliss system, which you can kind of make out in photo #2.

I'm not exactly sure what the problem was here, perhaps someone involved can explain it better. That looks like Tyler's bike to me!

Sometimes it might "take a village" to deal with a tire problem. Your own practice (and tools on hand) and talented friends can take a day ending problem and turn it into a relatively minor inconvenience.

One thing is for sure, every time you deal with a tire issue, you gain experience.

To my knowledge, several riders were stranded due to mechanicals or a crash, but nobody's day ended due to tire problems.

I am the one helping on the right in the first picture.
This was my first experience with a Tubliss system and the issue we had with it was getting enough air into the tire to find the puncture to plug it. Tried air pumps and CO2 but could not find the puncture because the bead would not seal. We opted to remove the Tubliss inner seal and installed a spare 21" inch tube in a 18" tire which is a temporary fix which did prove to be temporary because it went flat at the end of Terlinqua Ranch road. I believe I will stay with tubes for rims designed for tubes off-road.

Thanks to Richard, Connie, Uncle, sweep, and everyone else that helped make this a great ride. This is a picture of our group on Old Ore Road during the desert challenge. Great guys...we met last year, and road again this year. I am happy and proud to have completed both challenges. Superman indeed!

Congratulations Bill! It was a great time again this year riding with you, Kevin and Daniel. Already looking forward to next year!
16D1354B-D2DD-4C24-9699-3DE22EBD0CBD-5322-00001CBC08E0A3B3_zpsce102aea.jpg

Ditto from me and thanks to everyone who helps organize this event!

Last edited:
This was my first experience with a Tubliss system and the issue we had with it was getting enough air into the tire to find the puncture to plug it. Tried air pumps and CO2 but could not find the puncture because the bead would not seal. We opted to remove the Tubliss inner seal and installed a spare 21" inch tube in a 18" tire which is a temporary fix which did prove to be temporary because it went flat at the end of Terlinqua Ranch road. I believe I will stay with tubes for rims designed for tubes off-road.

I run Tubliss on my 530 and have for a couple thousand miles(Baja included) without one failure/issue.

Do you run Slime in the tire?

I run Tubliss on my 530 and have for a couple thousand miles(Baja included) without one failure/issue.

Do you run Slime in the tire?

Wasn't my tire,just helped fix it. It did not have any slime or sealant in it. I would not say the Tubliss system failed. Just made it difficult to repair when you could not seal the bead and find the puncture. I carry a tube on my GS with tubeless tires because plugging and sealant do not always work.

Congratulations Bill! It was a great time again this year riding with you, Kevin and Daniel. Already looking forward to next year!
16D1354B-D2DD-4C24-9699-3DE22EBD0CBD-5322-00001CBC08E0A3B3_zpsce102aea.jpg

Ditto from me on thanks to everyone who helps organize this event!

I had a great time but was too beat up to ride on Saturday.

Really had a fun time riding with everyone, and meeting lots of new folks. Special thanks to Jeff & Lynn for allowing us to join into your group. While we ended up riding at different paces, I really enjoyed your warm demeanor and graciousness, and look forward to seeing you at another function soon. :rider:

Great to meet you and Julie also. Maybe with a little more practice we can ride as fast as her but I doubt ever as fast as you. Looking forward to the next time...:rider::rider:

Great to meet you and Julie also. Maybe with a little more practice we can ride as fast as her but I doubt ever as fast as you. Looking forward to the next time...:rider::rider:

But what if she gets faster ???? Lol.

Signatures ???? We don't need no stinking signatures !!!!!

Tubliss is a great system. I've used it for years now and have never had a flat. I'd guess that 90 percent of the problems w Tubliss is a direct result of operator error. If the hole in the tire was so small that you guys couldn't find it I'd bet that slime would've sealed it right up had any been put in the tire. I've never even heard of running Tubliss without slime or rideon??? I'd suggest the owner of the bike not give up on Tubliss, simply add slime and you'll be fine. If you do get a large hole you'll see where the slime is coming out then you know where to plug.

I recently went in a ride f Ft Hancock to Ojinaga (see the Giant Loop ride in the after the ride section of this forum). My bike f that trip is sitting in the garage with slime oozing out of the tires in numerous spots yet the tires are still fully inflated thanks to Tubliss.

Btw I have no affiliation w Tubliss, I simply hate waiting on guys to change a tube. Kidding!

Back