• Welcome to the Two Wheeled Texans community! Feel free to hang out and lurk as long as you like. However, we would like to encourage you to register so that you can join the community and use the numerous features on the site. After registering, don't forget to post up an introduction!

2014 Around the Bend - a "Super" Ride in Big Bend

Perhaps, but that seems to be a big pig of a bike to take on that road.

Not the guy in the picture, and for sure he was not on a R90S. :eek2: He was on a Husky, looked like a 511, which is a full on dirt bike with a minimum of stuff to be street legal.

We came up on this rider and the rider that was staying with him before they got him out. He crashed hard at high speed over a wash out near the south end of Old Ore.

:tab That sounds familiar.

:tab A few years ago I was on the South end of Old Ore. I came up out of a low spot and the road ran straight off into the distance... So I started getting on the gas. I had not gone far at all and was moving pretty good when my vision returned from the far distance at the end of the straight to what was right on front of me when I realized there was NO ROAD in front of me!! :eek2:

:tab There was a dry creek on the right that had eroded all the way across the road to a tree that was originally on the left side of the straight road. The new road curved to the left AROUND the tree and then back to the original road. There was on room to go straight and squeeze between the tree and the edge of the drop. So I slammed on the brakes, managed to swerve hard left, then hard right around the tree, and hard left again to get back on the straight section of the road. I would have made it too... But there was this one BIG bush with a BIG branch sticking out jusssst far enough to slap my left hand guard and plant me on the ground in an instant :doh: A fewwww more inches and I would have been good. I got off pretty easy, just a minor tweak of the left ankle that never even swelled. It could have been a LOT worse...

:tab I hope he heals quickly and completely. :pray:

Yes he was on a Husky.

I seriously considered buying air ambulance insurance for this ride like I do for LAB2V, but was unsure who the air carrier was in the area. Buying it directly from the carrier is often under $100 and can save lots of money if needed.

:tab A few years ago I was on the South end of Old Ore. I came up out of a low spot and the road ran straight off into the distance... So I started getting on the gas. I had not gone far at all and was moving pretty good when my vision returned from the far distance at the end of the straight to what was right on front of me when I realized there was NO ROAD in front of me!! :eek2:

That's the spot. The road is way more "officially" around the left side of that tree now but it still sneaks up on you.

:tab There was a dry creek on the right that had eroded all the way across the road to a tree that was originally on the left side of the straight road. The new road curved to the left AROUND the tree and then back to the original road. There was on room to go straight and squeeze between the tree and the edge of the drop. So I slammed on the brakes, managed to swerve hard left, then hard right around the tree, and hard left again to get back on the straight section of the road. I would have made it too... But there was this one BIG bush with a BIG branch sticking out jusssst far enough to slap my left hand guard and plant me on the ground in an instant :doh: A fewwww more inches and I would have been good. I got off pretty easy, just a minor tweak of the left ankle that never even swelled. It could have been a LOT worse...

Scott,

This was the same place. Just south of the curve by the tree and a big wash out. He came in hot northbound on the right where it was deepest and was sitting down. He tried to go left, seat bounced and got punted over the bars and the bike pile drived him into the berm.

And speaking of the TWT family.

Bobby said there was an older gentleman who I believe is named Jack Henry. He was at the rally and lives in Odessa. After he heard about the accident and got home he went to visit Reiner in the hospital everyday and brought him magazines and stuff to keep him occupied. If I ever get wadded up far from home I sure hope I have someone like Jack around.

And speaking of the TWT family.

Bobby said there was an older gentleman who I believe is named Jack Henry. He was at the rally and lives in Odessa. After he heard about the accident and got home he went to visit Reiner in the hospital everyday and brought him magazines and stuff to keep him occupied. If I ever get wadded up far from home I sure hope I have someone like Jack around.

Jack Henry is very long-time off road rider and racer in West Texas. He was a fixture at TSCEC enduros for many many years. This sounds like something he would do.

We came up on this rider and the rider that was staying with him before they got him out. He crashed hard at high speed over a wash out near the south end of Old Ore. He was pretty much in full shock when I stopped to check to him, and it was clear he was seriously hurt. There was really nothing we could do to help at that point. Glad he is going to be OK.

I am guessing an emergency Helo ride from Big Bend to Odessa is among the most expensive in the continental US. Probably 30K.

I was not riding with this group but was riding south on Ore Road when I came upon the crash. The National Park and Border Patrol people were already there, the rider was being treated and his co-riders were around him. I remained on the north side of the crash scene until after the helicopter left. I took a couple of photos of the scene from the high banks to the west but cannot get them downloaded from my phone.

Ironically, the Husky rider crashed in the VERY SAME PLACE I assisted a young rider five years ago who crashed a large Triumph Tiger. I parked my KTM in the same spot the other week that I parked my DR five years ago to help that rider pick that motorcycle up. I dont recall the sand being as bad this year as it was five years ago. I do remember how heavy that Triumph was and sinking into the sand to pick it up. The Husky looked pretty torqued from the fall.

Best wishes to the rider.

Last edited:
There are several Gotchas on Old Ore Rd. A couple of places where as you are coming up a rise and see the road straight ahead then top the hill to find the road takes a hard right then left to go around a little canyon.

I guess that's why I'm so SLOW.

Well, you know what they say

There's Old Ore Road and Bold Ore Road but no Old Bold Ore Road

Or something like that

Does anyone have the Coordinate of this dangerous location? So I can program it into my GPS, to give a warning when I get near it.

Does anyone have the Coordinate of this dangerous location? So I can program it into my GPS, to give a warning when I get near it.

I'm kind of wondering the same thing. I'm guessing because there was only this one wreck that it was speed related. So if stick to normal speeds (or slower like me) you don't have to worry about it?

About a mile or so North from Ernst Tinaja. Went through there in the Jeep last Tuesday and there was a cone next to the tree on the washout side. This one used to catch me by surprise but now recognize it coming up from either redirection.

Old Wash Out

I think that this is the place, but the one casualty of the ride for me was the bracket on my Garmin. When I get it out I can pin point it more accurately. Frankly there are other areas of Old Ore that are more difficult riding and a few that are more deceptive.

Old Wash Out

I think that this is the place. Frankly there are other areas of Old Ore that are more difficult riding and a few that are more deceptive.

Wow, pin a star on me. :lol2:

Measured it with Google, 1.0mi, 4min.

Yeah, lots of places that will spring up on the unaware rider.

I rode pass that spot last year (northbound), but didn't notice anything. I was riding solo; so I was riding at a safe, slow speed.

What I remember thinking while running the challenge was that the severe dust was what made the ride kinda scary in a few places. It's not that those areas were particularly challenging or dangerous given the time to prepare. But when they came into view with "minimal" time to react it sure helped to have some experience at getting your front end light in short notice. My hat, or in this case, my helmet is off to those that did the challenge with the heavier scoots. :clap: :rider:

Back