• Welcome to the Two Wheeled Texans community! Feel free to hang out and lurk as long as you like. However, we would like to encourage you to register so that you can join the community and use the numerous features on the site. After registering, don't forget to post up an introduction!

Bike For Sale SOLD 2014 Honda XR650L

Reaction score
Putting my 2014 Honda XR650L up for sale. I got this in a trade a little over a year and a half ago and for the past year it's sat in the garage not being used. Time to go and replace it with something that will get used. Bike runs strong and has been extremely reliable.

Bike 6040 miles, which will likely go up a bit as ill ride it to keep everything working.

Bike has following mods:
-Mikuni Pumper Carb
-Seat Concepts seat
-Rally Fairing with fuse box and charge ports
-FMF pipe
-Acerbis 5.8 gal tank
-4 gallon tank
-Aftermarket front fender

I also have all the factory take offs (except for muffler) and some other new un-installed parts that will go with.

I'm sure there's lots more that I'm not thinking of. It has the aftermarket counterpart sprocket fix. Bike is ready to go wherever you need it to. Registration is expired, but I'll probably be taking care of that in the next week or so. There's no concerns about it passing an inspection.
20220808_095321.jpg

20220808_095216.jpg

Asking $4,500 and accepting offers. I have another bike picked out so this needs to go. Not really interested in trades. Bike is located in Corpus Christi.

Last edited:
So tempting but a little more than I could spend and then HouseHold6 would not appreciate the level of spending afterwards.

Dropped price to $4500 to move it. I have the new bike picked out and have a trade-in in the works in case this doesn't sell in the next few weeks.

Nice! Please post up your thoughts about this bike after you get a few miles on it.

XR is gone to AF1 and replaced with another red bike.
20221005_111403.jpg
Congrats, pilot815! The Tuareg is a fabulous machine and continues to get high marks from all types of reviewers. No doubt you've already checked out the Tuareg Facebook group, which helps with digging up all kinds of things as you get to know your bike.

A few of pointers, if you haven't already discovered them:
  • If you are planning on hooking up a GPS unit and are looking for a powered connection, tie into the USB port, which is easily accessible behind the windshield. Watch out for the four bolts for the dashboard cover once you have the windshield off. Aprilia chose to use hex nuts that sit in the plastic housing. When putting the cover on, don't over tighten them or you'll not get them back out easily.
  • Some have found folding brake pedal tips, which might be a good idea. I dropped my Tuareg on the first outing on a group ride and dropped the bike in a muddy section due to build-up under the front fender. The wheel just locked up and the bike went down. Dropped it on the brake pedal side, which bent it. While I was able to continue on, I replaced the pedal. I now have a folding pedal tip, which hopefully won't let that happen as easily.
  • There currently is an ECU mapping issue, which causes the bike to go too lean around 4,000 RPM. It's a micro-cutting out, which at first makes you go "Hello!". Once you're aware of it, you'll know what it's from. Aprilia is aware of it and there supposedly is a new ECU version out that your dealer should be able to update. I'll still have to take mine back to have that done.
  • Hand guards: Well, that's a weak point on almost any ADV bike that comes stock with them. You most likely already have sourced a pair, which is a good idea. Barkbusters and Acerbis, I believe, have now kits to fit theirs to the bike. I'm working with MachineArt Moto on releasing their ADVanceGuards, which I already have a pre-production kit on the bike and absolutely love them. Have them on my R1250GS and they are the bees knees!
  • Service Light: No, you can't turn it off. I suppose that's Aprilia's commitment to dealers to have customers who are bothered by it to come back through the service drive. Either ignore it, or make a trip back to AF1. :-)
  • Looks like you chose the Hepco & Becker center stand. I'm considering it vs. the OEM stand. Would be curious what you think of the H&B.
  • Bike Protection: Various different manufacturers offer engine guards and bash plates. I chose to go with Heed for both and they are solid.

Nice! Please post up your thoughts about this bike after you get a few miles on it.
bwdmax, there are now so many reviews of the Tuareg on YouTube that there's little to add other than to say that the bike is a solid performer. In many ways, it reminds me of my R1250GS, except in a lighter package. It's comfortable, confident inspiring, and like a tractor, content with getting you through technical and tougher sections without throwing a fit.

I've not had the pleasure of riding a Tenere 700 and while there are voices of comparing the Tuareg with the T7, some seem to think that the Tuareg is what Yamaha should have built with the next iteration of their bike. I think both have their places. I certainly enjoy the added options on the Tuareg. Seems that with the roughly $1k more for the Tuareg, you get upgrades that are either not available for the T7, or may cost you the difference between the two bikes.

The one argument that always seems to pop up is the dealer network. If you are mechanically inclined and work on your own bikes, then it's down to parts availability when it counts. If this is your only bike and you don't or can't chance a breakdown and having to wait on parts, that's a factor in your decision making. Seems that parts supply issues plague every OEM out there. I just had to wait several weeks to get parts in from BMW Germany. Does not seem to be different than what's happening with Aprilia parts.

So far, the reliability is shaping up to be fairly good. There are a few issues that have been reported and the dealers are able to address them quickly. Yes, it's a new bike, but the vast majority of owners so far have not reported any issues with their bikes.

As for build quality, I would say it is solid. Comparing it with the few BMW's we have in the shop, the Tuareg is amazingly comparable from craftsmanship to attention to detail. Some missteps are included, just like with any other OEM. Read my comment to pilot815 on the dashboard panel mounting bolts. Not sure what engineers were thinking about that one... :-)

If one can mentally work themselves beyond the dealer network argument, the Tuareg is an amazing machine. We've purchased ours with the intent to add it to the rental fleet, but I am having second thoughts about letting anyone take it out. I might just have to add a second one and keep this one to myself. :-D

Back