• Welcome to the Two Wheeled Texans community! Feel free to hang out and lurk as long as you like. However, we would like to encourage you to register so that you can join the community and use the numerous features on the site. After registering, don't forget to post up an introduction!

2020 Around the Bend

Great minds think alike :)

I put the same bags on the 501 and 1090, so I just swap the dry bags on to which ever bike I am going to ride. Made things a lot simpler.

Attachments

• 20200301_155729756_iOS.jpg
    20200301_155729756_iOS.jpg
    607.2 KB · Views: 302
You could run a Tubliss for about the same money & just use these -

Which fixed a 1/2" sidewall puncture on Charles' 790 on Old Ore Road, Friday in less than 3 minutes.

I have tubless on my bike. It's for the guys I ride with and for home use.

Great minds think alike :)

I put the same bags on the 501 and 1090, so I just swap the dry bags on to which ever bike I am going to ride. Made things a lot simpler.

Fools seldom differ :trust: - I'm running the fuel pouches underneath too.

I have their 35L panniers on our R1250GSA which I love too.

IMG_20200229_144446.jpg

It's killing me that I had to skip this year. I wound up having to put my senior basset/beagle to sleep on Friday :( Keep those pictures and videos coming. That's Henry Hound, holding down the fort at Chisos Mining Company, Around the Bend 2018.

Day one: We were riding at a good pace in tight formation to avoid the dust. A KTM in front of me launched (what looked and felt like) a small bolder at me. It completely took out my right rearview mirror and hit me in the shoulder in between armor. Slowed me down for a while. Armor upgrade coming soon.
A few photos from two days of riding.

IMAG1658.jpg
IMAG1676.jpg
IMAG1661.jpg
IMAG1680.jpg
IMAG1682.jpg

Forgot the end of the story...at a gas station on I20 two Bandidos came over to me, full colors on. I carefully nodded a greeting, one nudged the other, pointed at my bike and said "that's a Husqvarna, a REAL dirt bike!"

Slightly relieved I was. We chatted, they were looking to head somewhere warm I suggested Terlingua.

You can always tell the real bikers from the #cruiserlife types. We were all parked in Castell on a group ride, along with a bunch of HD riders. They were ALL checking out our bikes, and talking about how much fun they looked like :)

Last edited:
I was a little careful as exactly at the same time another 1%'er pulled up at the pump next to us, I didn't catch his patch (his lady was on the back with a "property of" patch) but he wasn't Bandido. Thankfully everyone decided to totally ignore the other's existence so peace reigned.

And I was waiting for a "*** euro-trash bike on a Jap truck" comment.

Doyle that's one of the most unfair aspects in starting off road. The skilled riders make it all look so darn easy cause for them - it is. I guess you could say there's some kind of hump that you'll get over and then you're suddenly doing technical stuff without struggling. Right now it sounds like you're in the tough part. Heal up and get back in the saddle. But you are absolutely right, this is a seriously physical sport and building some conditioning is simply fundamental to making it pleasant.

Awesome pictures folks!

Doyle that's one of the most unfair aspects in starting off road. The skilled riders make it all look so darn easy cause for them - it is. I guess you could say there's some kind of hump that you'll get over and then you're suddenly doing technical stuff without struggling. Right now it sounds like you're in the tough part. Heal up and get back in the saddle. But you are absolutely right, this is a seriously physical sport and building some conditioning is simply fundamental to making it pleasant.

Awesome pictures folks!

I totally agree. I hit my hump on the River Road at 230 on Friday. I just couldn't make it up the baby head gravel hills. I was getting really tired and pissed off, and finally John R. had me sit down and just chill for about 15 minutes. We talked about what I was doing wrong. I got back on the bike and it was like something in my head just kicked in and it was on! Rick said it was like I "flipped a switch". It was the best day of riding I have ever had.

Big Bend, as always, was fun filled, beautiful, with some of the best company to be had in the motorcycle community. I had two great days of riding, one day to the top of the world, and another day River road to boquillas. Add in two dips in the hot springs, an awesome lunch at the top of chisos basin, a heck of a remember the Alamo night, and impromptu dance party at the starlight, and one of the best guitar performances I've seen in my whole life.

Thank you to JT, Richard, and crew who year after year pull off flawless organization and bring this crazy group of not normal folks together for a fun weekend.

I had a group of nine guys camp with me at my new little piece of dirt in the barrio by Bee Mountain. We had a good time, nothing was stolen or molested, no neighbors bothered us, and the only mishap was the goat with the bell got in the trash. That's our fault, we should have heard him coming.

My condolences Doyle, on your knee injury. My plan was to ride North county all the way to 118 turn around and then go to the top of the world, but was pressured by everyone else on the trip to scratch North county. Our other newer to dirt rider sandsman (thanks again for all your help at the campsite) continued on North county solo and did fine. In hindsight I should have taken better stock of your self-disclosed abilities and continued course as planned, but unfortunately I went with the flow and maybe we tried something a little too difficult. I believe we had two other riders also go down, they were just lucky enough to not twist anything. I wish you quick healing!

I've already decided for 2021 to take an entire week for uncles. An overnight in boquillas, a float trip from the Mexican side, a dip in the Mexican hot springs, a night of camping up in the basin with a hike to the windows, and the final four days in terlingua. I love that place!

Big Bikes and Big Bend

I had heard horror stories of people taking large bikes down River Road. Of course I watched some YouTube videos and it really didn’t look that bad. Also worth noting is that I just started adventure riding in August and all I’ve really done are county roads.

On Friday, I took the beast aka KTM1290 down all of River Road. Starting from River Road West. The first 15 or so miles were just crazy. It was so much different than I expected however all the techniques that I had been practicing were working great. The bike is moving underneath me and I’m loose on the handle bars and I keep surviving all of these crazy obstacles. Eventually I need a break just to let the adrenaline wear off. At this point my confidence is sky high.

A little ways down the road we approach a hill with some “baby head rocks”. I’m about 30 yards behind my buddy who is on a KTM 790.

This is where it all went down. My buddy crashes while he’s still on the hill. I had to crash just to keep from running over him. He was in some pretty intense pain. I quickly check on him and then rush to the top of the hill and set my helmet down in the middle so riders would know there was a hazard ahead. There’s gas running out of the over fill of both KTMs laying on their side. I pick both bikes up. I help my buddy to the top of the hill and extract his bike. Luckily Tim’s angels and Adam show up and help me get my bike out. The wheel just kept digging and digging.

Once my buddy got enough spirit back to ride, he was too tinder and shook to go over any rough terrain. I started riding my bike over the difficult sections and then walking back and riding his bike over.

I start wearing down in a way I’ve never experienced in my life. Note that once you’re that far down River Road, there’s only one way out and that’s to keep going. As we come to the end of River Road West, I crash right before the hardest hill IMO, with nothing but loose rocks. Tim’s angels help me pick up my bike. I head for the tough hill. Get about 75% up it and wipe out again. About another mile down the road, wipe out again. I had nothing left. I’m riding down the road and this WR250 was stopped, it was Tim himself. He says “hey man you want to ride this 250?.” I say no I’d like to finish on my bike. He insisted and I gave in. Two things happened at the same time. One, we made it to River Road East which is way easier. Two, the WR250 was so easy to ride. I felt like a new person and really enjoyed the end of the ride. We all hung out at the gas station at Rio Grande Village. Got to meet all the cool riders that had saved us. I felt enlightened, accomplished, and blessed all at the same time.

I’m sure most will have to learn the hard way just like I had to but I’m going to say it anyways. River Road West is for true dual sport bikes unless you’re an expert on huge adventure bikes.

I can’t wait to go back on A SMALLER BIKE.

It was a helluva memory for me that I’ll never forget.

0EAF5507-B7F6-4178-B847-D9B01C739D59.jpeg

2546F49A-F3F9-45FE-A6EC-6601B5D5903A.jpeg

First off, I'd like to specifically thank Dustin, TJ, Rich, and Jimmy. I owe a lot of people in this community a drink or three, but y'all are first in line.

I rode from Austin to Study Butte on wednesday on my 1993 KLR650, along with my friend Dustin. The temperature leaving Austin was 39 degrees, and in parts of Big Bend it was 32. I have never broken a speed limit as badly as I did trying to get through Big Bend NP to a warm motel.

The Thursday ride was up to Dustin and I. After refilling the quart of oil my KLR ate, we decided to hop on Old Maverick Road and then try out River Road West. We headed down Old Maverick Road down to Saint Elana Canyon, which was beautiful.
IMG_6988.jpg
IMG_6990.jpg

Walking back to our bikes, Dustin pointed out liquid on my front tire. Wasn't much and didn't taste like brake fluid, so we shrugged and moved onto River Road. I got about a quarter mile into River Road before I pulled off to inspect it again.
IMG_7009.jpg
20200227_133655_copy.jpg

And, bad news. My right fork was profusely leaking fluid onto my front tire and brakes. The striped pattern is oil flinging outwards from rotation. This was especially frustrating since I had recently had the front suspension completely rebuilt by a pretty renowned professional. Still, it's old junk, and you deal with old junk problems.

So, I talk with Dustin for a second, and along comes some guy on a Husqy701, and says something along the lines of "That's Baby Mark!" And I realize it's a group of guys I met during the last Mextrek. (Sean, Tim, adult Mark & Curtis). It ends up being perfect because Dustin wants to do the rest of River Road, and I limp back to the motel, along Maxwell Scenic Highway.
IMG_7012.jpg

After digging in the fork seal for a while, another group of guys sees me repeatedly running my bike into a berm (testing the forks) , wondering what the **** I was doing. They immediately jump to action and try to help me, we end up popping it on a stand and trying again. (Sorry to those guys, I don't remember your names) The leaking gets a little better and I figured that was good enough. We go to the introduction banquet and enjoy everyone's company.

On the second day, we wake up, grab some coffee and join some guys from last year's TAR, and we set off after Old Ore Road. We're rocking the road for a while, kicking up dust when suddenly...

Plugged pilot jet. I kill the battery trying to get it started. I was just about to push that bike into the desert and leave it. Thankfully, as per usual, my group was more than supportive and we hatched a plan...well, sordof. They'll bumpstart me and I go as far as I can. It takes a few tries, but suddenly I'm off to the races, I can't stop/cut throttle or I'm stuck again. And for those with too much free time, you can watch the whole thing. 56 minutes, complete with several close calls, jeeps, and profanity. ...a lot of profanity. (This video is still processing as I'm writing this)

So, I get to the end, my pilot jet magically fixes itself and the battery charges (a little), and I wait for ~40 minutes for my group. Bike works, my spirits are once again intact, and we take off towards Glenn Spring.
IMG_7014.jpg

At the end of the trail, I stop to take pictures again.
IMG_7035.jpg

Aaaaand bike's dead, again. We get it bumpstarted and I limp back to camp....again, tail between my legs. I send out texts to all my motorcycle compatriots. I'm starting to lose faith, and I ignore my troubles until the next day. I set up camp, we hit up La Kiva, (Keith and Mike now along) listen to Sean's story about his trouble with the local lawmen, and get some more sleep.

Day 3, I listen to my group talk about their planned ride to top of the world while I continue my search for a battery. I call a shop north of Study Butte, "Ralph" answers and tells me he has batteries, but they're uncharged and will take at least 4 hours to get set up, then another hour to cool down. That's pretty much my day, but at least I'll get home. But, then, TJ shows up with a battery just for me, we get it hooked up and suddenly I'm in business again, spirits back at full. I gear up, grab gas, get in touch with my group and after a short solo ride out the east leg of the top of the world loop, we are reunited once again.

This did mean I missed out on the peak, but I was just happy to be operational again. We take a detour on the way back and hit some wonderfully alienic vistas, with some of the best pictures I've ever taken.
IMG_7045.jpg
20200229_131239.jpg

IMG_7050.jpg
IMG_7055.jpg

IMG_7061.jpg

So, we finish it out, grab some BBQ, shower and head to the banquet to talk to everyone, with stories to spare. The campfire that night was especially warm and friendly, and I crawled into my tent and crossed my fingers for the ride home, which would be just me, my camping gear and my KLR650 for at least 8 hours.

And that's my Big Bend Adventure. Oh, well, except that the KLR wasn't done causing me anxiety. I rocketed along i10 for hours at the highest speed I could without eating oil, making it all the way to Junction, TX, and parked at the McDonald's parking lot. After raising my cholesterol levels, I get back on and hit the starter button. It cranks once and dies.

I'm about sure that I just sat there and stared at my bike for about 45 seconds. I knew my insurance covered towing, but I was trying to remember what that mileage limit was...I remember 200, but was that round trip? I dialed Allstate, and as I was sifting through the "Press 1 for English," I see someone walking out of the McDonalds that looks familiar...actually, it looks like Richard Gibbons. I yell "RICH!" with about as much desperation as I could manage. He catches me and magically, we hatch a plan to load his KTM on his truck and my KLR on his trailer. He graciously trucks me, my gear and my bike home, even feeds me dinner. (Side note, thanks again Rich if you're reading this).

I get home, we unload the bike, I shove it in my apartment rented garage and I try to relax as much as I can. Mextrek is coming up in April and I now don't have a bike to take, as this was about the last straw with this KLR.

I've never known a community like this. Every issue I had or even mentioned under my breath, I've had twenty people trying to help, offering their equipment and gear without wanting anything (well, sometimes a beer or two) in return. Thank you to everyone who took care of me, helped, offered to help, or even just offered to share a drink or two with me. I'll be around.

P.S., Rich, if you're still reading, I'll offer a ran-when-parked '82 KZ650 and/or '93 KLR650 for those KLX's we talked about....

Attachments

• 20200227_133655.jpg
    20200227_133655.jpg
    221.7 KB · Views: 242
Found Nikon camera on North County Road. Reach out to me if you think it might be yours.

Glad everyone survived, it is nice to be a part of this wonderful community...

Good morning all. Finally have some time to sit and write. What a great trip this was. Rich thank you and Connie for the work and effort putting on a great event. Love the tshirt btw, fits and looks great!

This was my first time out to Big Bend so everything was brand new to me. So glad I had some Big Bend pros to guide me through, I wouldn't have had as much fun if they didn't take me under their wing.

Huge thanks to Gina, JT, Mike and Mary. I could not have done this trip without your guidance, patience, and trailers. I loved seeing my boys again too - Doyle, Dave, Gary, I'm so glad we got to visit again. There's not enough time on these trips to catch up. Met some new folks too - Joel, Smiling Bob and his sweet wife Gloria, Ocho and his wife (super fun gal), a spunky guy named Sean(Shawn?), Curtis, Peter, Jack, Steve. I know I'm forgetting names but I remember a face.

Ok let's hit it...

Gina and I with the truck all loaded and getting ice for coolers. We took off from Kerrville 9p Wednesday night after work.

We got to our trailer about 430a Thursday morning and unloaded what we needed then crashed for a few hours. We made Thursday easy, was lazy, made breakfast at lunch, so I guess technically brunch? Then geared up for a little ride.

We knocked the roadtrip rust off and a few ranch roads close by. Gina w her new 701, JT on the 690 and my WR. That dude there on the left is Les, he's the new property guy on site where we stayed. Nice dude.

Pit stop and scenery

Theyz working out a fuel issue in 701 so Gina doesn't have to ride a bike on fire

After a little bike time we showered and hit the High Sierra for the welcome dinner. That's were we caught up with more friends and socialized...

Lol jk, we all really did socialize, the shenanigans pic is the evidence that will convict us.

Look at these two, cuuute

After a good night of eating and (de)hydrating we swaggered backed to camp and racked out for an early start...

Last edited:
Bright and early, rider's meeting at the gas station 8a. Everyone sent off last minute texts and got their groups together. Mike, JT, Gina, Mary and I chose the big loop to ride, a mix of pavement and dirt.

Our first stop after heading out 170, past La Jitas I believe was Dom's Rock. Beautiful view. While we were a few cruisers pulled up. An HD rider came over and asked if anyone had a quart of oil. Our gang remained professional and courteous, and as he does, JT helped him out. I admire that HD rider's guts.

WR posing

From there we rode off and hit Casa Piedras (?) road. It was a long stretch off pavement, I believe we crossed out of the park at some point. Then we eventually came back to pavement to go to Marfa. We had lunch at this pizza joint. The left over pizza was a life saver.

After eating we continued on to Pinto Canyon. Yaaallll, this was my first time and probably the most difficult terrain I've ridden on the WR. The road was freshly graded and it was like riding on marbles. I was so nervous and I worked my tail off in that first section. I'm glad I didn't fly off the cliff.

We stopped to let me catch my breath, adrenalin dump and drink some water. Also, the Rekluse, couldn't have done that type of riding without it (one hand). Worked beautifully.

Once out of Pinto Canyon we hit pavement for the final blast home. Everything was going well until we stopped for gas in Presidio. I went to restart my bike and take off and it stalled. Ha, kick stand was down. Put it up, restarted went to take off, stalled out. Huh, weird. Started again but cranked longer, weird, stalled again. I managed to get the bike out of the parking lot in 1st gear, but sputtered down the block so we bailed into a parking lot. We worked on the bike as best we could but couldn't get it running again and it was dark by then. Mike and Mary were ahead of us and had just gotten in. Gina texted for rescue and Mike and Mary didn't hesitate. They hopped in the truck with the trailer and came to get us. While we waited we had dinber, Gatorade JT had walked over to the gas station to get, and remember all that pizza from lunch? Wrapped in foil in JTs tailpack. Good call Mary!

The cops drove by, chkd us out then sped off likely deciding we weren't menaces to society. Mike and Mary showed up. We loaded up and hauled home. It had been a looooong day, everyone was exhausted. Sleep came fast, morning came faster....

Last edited:
Saturday came around, we took it easy since I was bikeless. It was going to be a 4wheeling day, So you get pics of the truck, tough cookies!

We went into the park, along with a million friends going to a wedding. After making through the gate we headed down Old Maverick Rd. towards Santa Elena Canyon. It was besutiful

We had a sandwich lunch Gina put together for us then we hiked their little rail into the canyon. It was beautiful in there.

From there we drove over to the Basin. We had a few options but due to time and wanting to get back for dinner in time too. Very neat roads in the park. I didn't get a picture of it, but on the steep incline just before this pullout where I stopped there was a white suv that had run off the road on the side of the embankment. It's a wonder it did not roll down as steep as it was.

Inside the basin. It was a different world in there. We went to the gift shop, got a few goodies and had some ice cream. We met this guy from Cape Cod, on his HD RoadKing I think. He said he was a motocop for 28yrs and a 9-11 responder and after his 6th friend passed away from the cancer affects from that event, he decided to pack up and see what life is about on his motorcycle. He said he headed straight for Texas. Nice guy, we wished him good luck on his journey.

After ice cream we headed back to town to meet up for the closing dinner. There we had some good BBQ and suds, visited with everyone as best we could. When that broke up we headed over to La Kiva for more socializing. That was a neat place, heard some history too.

Unfortunately good things must end, Sunday came around and it was time to go. We loaded up everything, managed to get all our junk condensed into containers from which it came (does stuff multiply on trips?). We said goodbye to our little spot. We shall meet again, Terlingua.

Last edited:
Wah! The last 2 posts don't show pix. Mebbe they'll show up later, that happens sometimes.

More pix and story peas

Wah! The last 2 posts don't show pix. Mebbe they'll show up later, that happens sometimes.

More pix and story peas
Oh i haven't added the pics yet, as i get a little free time I'lladd the final one, just reserved the thread post so theyre consecutive. My story would be so lumpy if i didn't :lol2:

Bright and early, rider's meeting at the gas station 8a. Everyone sent off last minute texts and got their groups together. Mike, JT, Gina, Mary and I chose the big loop to ride, a mix of pavement and dirt.

View attachment 255734

Our first stop after heading out 170, past La Jitas I believe was Dom's Rock. Beautiful view. While we were a few cruisers pulled up. An HD rider came over and asked if anyone had a quart of oil. Our gang remained professional and courteous, and as he does, JT helped him out. I admire that HD rider's guts.

View attachment 255735

WR posing
View attachment 255736

From there we rode off and hit Casa Piedras (?) road. It was a long stretch off pavement, I believe we crossed out of the park at some point. Then we eventually came back to pavement to go to Marfa. We had lunch at this pizza joint. The left over pizza was a life saver.

View attachment 255737

After eating we continued on to Pinto Canyon. Yaaallll, this was my first time and probably the most difficult terrain I've ridden on the WR. The road was freshly graded and it was like riding on marbles. I was so nervous and I worked my tail off in that first section. I'm glad I didn't fly off the cliff.

View attachment 255738

We stopped to let me catch my breath, adrenalin dump and drink some water. Also, the Rekluse, couldn't have done that type of riding without it (one hand). Worked beautifully.
View attachment 255739

Once out of Pinto Canyon we hit pavement for the final blast home. Everything was going well until we stopped for gas in Presidio. I went to restart my bike and take off and it stalled. Ha, kick stand was down. Put it up, restarted went to take off, stalled out. Huh, weird. Started again but cranked longer, weird, stalled again. I managed to get the bike out of the parking lot in 1st gear, but sputtered down the block so we bailed into a parking lot. We worked on the bike as best we could but couldn't get it running again and it was dark by then. Mike and Mary were ahead of us and had just gotten in. Gina texted for rescue and Mike and Mary didn't hesitate. They hopped in the truck with the trailer and came to get us. While we waited we had dinber, Gatorade JT had walked over to the gas station to get, and remember all that pizza from lunch? Wrapped in foil in JTs tailpack. Good call Mary!

The cops drove by, chkd us out then sped off likely deciding we weren't menaces to society. Mike and Mary showed up. We loaded up and hauled home. It had been a looooong day, everyone was exhausted. Sleep came fast, morning came faster....

So what was issue with bike?!😊

Back