• Welcome to the Two Wheeled Texans community! Feel free to hang out and lurk as long as you like. However, we would like to encourage you to register so that you can join the community and use the numerous features on the site. After registering, don't forget to post up an introduction!

2023 Feb BBNP

Rydah

Who's ready to ride some dirt?!
Forum Supporter
Reaction score
The wife and I visited the Big Bend National Park (BBNP) back in December, and she fell in love with the beauty of the place. It was my second time down there, as I did a dual sport ride with friends there a few years ago. This time, I decided to take my DS bike with me and ride for a day, then spend another with her exploring and doing some hiking. We loaded up and headed out on Thursday last week, and got to the park at around 1700, only to see a sign saying that the power was out, and you better have at least half a tank of gas to be able to get back out! Since I was down to less than that, and not knowing how long the power might be out, we decided it prudent to head over to Alpine for the night. It really slurped as we already had a room booked in Terlingua, so that was going to be money lost,... but, oh well!

After spending the night in Alpine, I called the hotel the next morning to get the good news that the power was back on, so we headed back down. By the time we got checked in and unloaded, it was already around 1000, so I decided to just do an out and back to the Top of the World. I'd never done this ride before, so figure I'd give it a go. They say a picture is worth a thousand words, so I guess a video would be even more efficient, right? Hope you enjoy:

THANKS for posting. Gutsy to do that ride alone... wouldn't have taken a much worse fall to get you stranded there for a little bit.

Glad it worked out..

Top o the world...aka Christmas mountain over on the ranch? Did they get rid of the gate? No more going by hq for the key? Yeah...gravity bites...sometimes.

Thanks for the video! The BBNP area is my favorite place to ride.

THANKS for posting. Gutsy to do that ride alone... wouldn't have taken a much worse fall to get you stranded there for a little bit.

Glad it worked out..
Meh.. when you've fallen as much as I have, you get kinda good at it.

Top o the world...aka Christmas mountain over on the ranch? Did they get rid of the gate? No more going by hq for the key? Yeah...gravity bites...sometimes.
Not sure what the mountain is called, but yep, on the ranch:
Top of the world.png

Not making excuses, but that last bit of climb would have had a better chance with an actual rear tire:

PXL_20230303_182634125.jpg

LOL, it made for some nice "steer-with-the-rear" riding on the way up and down though ;-). Will have to get that changed before the next one.

So you ended up on the wrong hill too! we got to that very last part and noticed that there was no tire tracks. we turnd around and found the right way.

Not the same hill, Christmas mountain still private access and no motorcycles allowed.

So you ended up on the wrong hill too! we got to that very last part and noticed that there was no tire tracks. we turnd around and found the right way.
I wouldn't say the wrong hill; more like the harder path, but that's what I prefer actually. I'll get it next time :thumb:

Not the same hill, Christmas mountain still private access and no motorcycles allowed.
Aha. I called it 'top of the world" based on some tracks that someone posted here, and thusly named it. Who knew?!

Back