• Welcome to the Two Wheeled Texans community! Feel free to hang out and lurk as long as you like. However, we would like to encourage you to register so that you can join the community and use the numerous features on the site. After registering, don't forget to post up an introduction!

HOUSTON: 6/22 Houston Area ADV Ride

Reaction score
Current plan is to roll out about 7:15am to beat the heat. Lots of stops along the way for rest and hydration. I estimate we will be back around Bellville area around 10:30-11am, and possibly lunch at Bellville Meat Market (or open to other suggestions).

Chicken Nugget Rev2 GPX file is attached and is the most up to date.

127.1 miles in total. 60-70% gravel
Starts at Chevron station at 11060 FM359, Pattison TX.
Go north at 331
First stint is around 30 minutes and stops at the Kenney Store just past 36 on 497. Just a rest stop, no food/gas/restrooms.
Next stint is about 30 minutes and stops at Lindemann Store in Industry for gas, restrooms, and snacks.
Next stint is about 30 minutes or less to Circle C General Store in Fayetteville. If open, should be gas and a restroom and snacks/water.
Optional food stops in Fayetteville (maybe try Orsak’s Cafe?)
Next stint is about 30 minutes and stops at the Cat Springs Country Club at 1094/949. Not guaranteed to be open and no fuel.
Next stint is about 30 minutes up through Bellville and back to the starting point. Optional stop in Bellville for food/gas/restrooms.

GPX viewer

Attachments

• Chicken Nugget - Rev2.gpx
    Chicken Nugget - Rev2.gpx
    207.8 KB · Views: 40
  • IMG_0898.png
    IMG_0898.png
    2.9 MB · Views: 44
6/22 Chicken Nugget Ride Report.

You know how sometimes you get a chewy or gristly nugget in the box at McDonald’s? Such was today…….but we DID at least have an “adventure”

-I was late and made everyone wait on me. I blame my dog for being an a-hole this morning, and I blame Gringo’s Mexican food dinner last night lol
-we had a fantastic first 2 hours or so, with probably 90% gravel…..REALLY like this route so far….lots of great scenery
-got raced by a rabbit again
-almost ran over a squirrel
-almost got sprayed by a skunk
-one section was nearly a 2-Track road and cut through a field of corn……wondered if we were on someone’s property, but alas we were not…..cool road though!
-I missed multiple turns and forced people to practice turning their bikes around in small spaces lol
-one group diverted to check out a water crossing and we found that Tenere 700’s don’t swim particularly well…..bike #1 down for the day and wouldn’t start again this ride. I’m told that there is video, but let’s hold off on posting until it’s up and running again!
-other group found a patch of loose gravel at a paved intersection and an Africa Twin decided to do a self-oil change (wasn’t aware they had this option?). Fell over just perfectly on a little rock and punctured the stator cover and ejected its oil…….bike #2 down and not to be started again this ride
-I think both of these bikes will be easy fixes…..at least they SHOULD be!
-we waited for AAA towing but evidently they don’t know how to communicate to their drivers that they need the right kind of truck for a motorcycle
-Ron has decided to take up motorcycle towing and recovery as a second job
-Chris wore excessive amounts of sunscreen, and rode the Beta 300 2-stroke with us again
-I had a pucker moment and almost tucked the front end when the dirt got a little softer than expected on the inside of a turn
-William was “that guy” and abandoned us on the side of the road while waiting on a tow truck or trailer (just kidding lol)
-Jose and Shawn went on to finish the route (let us know how it was?)
-I failed to take pictures once again
-Doug swept like a pro!
-Andrew C and I slabbed it back home after we knew the rescue efforts were underway
-New guy on the KLR (didn’t catch his name), but I’m pretty sure he rode the whole way with a cigarette hanging out of his mouth??
-Shawn from here on TWTex joined us. I will keep posting rides over here
-I STILL don’t have my Carpuride screen
installed…….but it’s close!

I’m thinking we need a do-over on Chicken Nugget soon……it was really shaping up to be a very good route!

Hopefully we worked out our weekend allotment of bad luck for the Sunday crew!

See you guys next weekend!

Last edited:
The real heroes for the day were Ron Lacewell and Chris Phillips who rode all the way back to the starting point and got a truck/trailer and came all the way back to pick up the uncooperative bikes! We owe them a meal and a beer!

Or get Ron more tow straps…..he said he collects them. And get Chris a new tube of sunscreen because I think he used the whole thing at once lol!

You guys rock!

@Courtney....Yessir! Thanks again for advertising the ride on TWT. Keep 'em coming this way! We are not all signed up on the Zuckerberg social.

Really pretty route with way more dirt that I was even hoping for. Nice! Liked it a whole lot. Yeah, after about 50 min of contemplation and free advising, four of us agreed to press on from the super-unfortunate Africa Twin oil dump. The start of the return leg was a haphazard affair. Doug took off to inspect what he thought might have been the water crossing which took out the T7 while the rest of us headed into Fayetteville where we did not stop long. Just outside of town we lost Don - only because we took a wrong turn and he apparently did not. That left Jose on his V-Strom and me on the DR. A good few miles later on a particularly dusty stretch two sets of lights ghosted from behind ....and just like that, we were reunited with Doug on his DR and cigarette-Don on his KLR. A short stop for something cold in Bellville and we were back at the start not long thereafter. Disclaimer: Names and moto's are based on short-term memory only. If you have been unjustly accused, please correct me here.

@Courtney....Yessir! Thanks again for advertising the ride on TWT. Keep 'em coming this way! We are not all signed up on the Zuckerberg social.

Really pretty route with way more dirt that I was even hoping for. Nice! Liked it a whole lot. Yeah, after about 50 min of contemplation and free advising, four of us agreed to press on from the super-unfortunate Africa Twin oil dump. The start of the return leg was a haphazard affair. Doug took off to inspect what he thought might have been the water crossing which took out the T7 while the rest of us headed into Fayetteville where we did not stop long. Just outside of town we lost Don - only because we took a wrong turn and he apparently did not. That left Jose on his V-Strom and me on the DR. A good few miles later on a particularly dusty stretch two sets of lights ghosted from behind ....and just like that, we were reunited with Doug on his DR and cigarette-Don on his KLR. A short stop for something cold in Bellville and we were back at the start not long thereafter. Disclaimer: Names and moto's are based on short-term memory only. If you have been unjustly accused, please correct me here.
What percentage gravel/dirt would you say the return leg was? From Fayetteville on, I mean.

What percentage gravel/dirt would you say the return leg was? From Fayetteville on, I mean.
Similar to the leg going in, maybe slightly more.... with some longer dirt sections. I'd say your original estimate of up to 70% dirt overall fits the return.

Similar to the leg going in, maybe slightly more.... with some longer dirt sections. I'd say your original estimate of up to 70% dirt overall fits the return.
How sandy is this route?

Dang, that sounds like a fun ride. I got the street version of the new 800 Vstrom because I know I'll be using it as my street bike for single and two up riding 99.5% of the time, but this kind of ride sure gets my mind/soul stirred up. Guess I might be looking at some different tires soon, but did anyone do it on basically street rubber?

Dang, that sounds like a fun ride. I got the street version of the new 800 Vstrom because I know I'll be using it as my street bike for single and two up riding 99.5% of the time, but this kind of ride sure gets my mind/soul stirred up. Guess I might be looking at some different tires soon, but did anyone do it on basically street rubber?
Quite a few bikes with what I would consider 90/10 or maybe 80/20 at most. Check out whatever the stock tires are on a KTM 390 adventure. Several of those ride with us and they keep up fine. They have to know their limits in the corners and looser gravel, but they easily make it work.

Yeah, I'd like to hear the details of what happened, and what they found to need the engine pulled.

Oh, and Jose has a Vstrom 650 and he put some 80/20 Kenda tires on it and is doing great!

390 Adv stock tires are the TKC-70s, a so so "adventure" tire.

Back