• Welcome to the Two Wheeled Texans community! Feel free to hang out and lurk as long as you like. However, we would like to encourage you to register so that you can join the community and use the numerous features on the site. After registering, don't forget to post up an introduction!

acceptable level of dry rotting on tires

whoa

Reaction score
First Name
david
Last Name
day
While servicing the chain I notice dry rot running lengthwise with the tread. This is in two sections, not in the valley of every tread. This is an Avon, and the first time I've run this on the rear.

avonCrack.jpg

I got this tire Sept 09 with about 3500 miles. There is about 2.5mm of tread depth, with around 1mm depth into the crack. I've never seen anything like this before, but at least one person said it isn't unusual, and should be fine for the last 2k or so.

What do you think?

I had a couple of cracks in my rear time (OEM Dunlaps) and thought I could ride these a while. then I put the bike up so I could really look at the tire. :eek2: Found a bunch more and went straight to the dealer for a new tire. there is no acceptable level of dry rot in my book. Spend the money and get a new tire.

The Metzler 880 Marathon had a chunking problem, you may be seeing the beginnings of a separation of carcass and belts, or not.

Keep an eye on it and start putting some money aside for a new tire.

I had an Avon do that several years ago . I already had my moneys worth out of it so I just replaced it . At the bike show later that year I talked to a Avon rep about it , He told me to send it to them if I ever had that happen again , they want to know about and probly would have replaced it . SEYA

My buddies bike with a Dunlop 555 with less that a thousand miles has a crack like that in the sidewall. I told him just to ride it, but thats easy for me to say. I don't think its dry rot as much as it could be a bad batch of rubber, or maybe under inflation might have something to do with it too.

Easy answer.....NONE. No mileage on a dry rot tire is worth it. If it blows you will be lucky just to be stranded, at worst it my cost you your life.

But that is only my opion.

That looks more like the beginning of tread separation rather than dry rot to me. While it is not dangerous to have very small fine spiderweb-like cracking in the valley of the treads, this looks larger than normal.

Keep an eye on it. If it is the beginning of tread separation, you may notice the tire wobbling or vibrating.

Avon responded back saying this can be related to poor inflation. It's possible, but I check these tires frequently since some tubes won't hold air as well as others. They indicated the main problem is air loss with a crack that deep as they are tubeless tires. With tubes I'll put this on a watch list for the next 2-3k and call it good.

Thanks for the responses. This was a first for me.

Back