• Welcome to the Two Wheeled Texans community! Feel free to hang out and lurk as long as you like. However, we would like to encourage you to register so that you can join the community and use the numerous features on the site. After registering, don't forget to post up an introduction!

anything free that'll let me veiw and do simple editing to RAW pics?

poser

Reaction score
First Name
jason
Last Name
bohac
There was some talk in a thread recently, and it was said that its best to shoot in RAW. So I gave it a shot at the rodeo last night, and now i can't get the pics on my PC. I use fireworks for image editing, no where near as fancy as PS but it works and its what i have.
I think I have an old version of PS somewhere, would that work?

What kind of camera do you have. Different cameras have different raw extensions and usually the software that comes with the camera can read and convert them to jpg.

I can't find out for sure here at work but try Paint.net - free download, lots of the same features as PS.

Nikon D40
I'll see if I can find the CD

You might have had an evaluation version of Nikon's software for RAW that came with your camera. Otherwise you'll have the privilege of purchasing or some similar program so you can look at your RAW images. If you have one of the various flavors of Photoshop you might have the ability to open Nikon RAW files in it already.

paint.net requires a plugin and is slow
irfanview can actually open a RAW file, then save back down to whatever you need.

Last edited:
paint.net requires a plugin and is slow
irfanview can actually open a RAW file, then save back down to whatever you need.

I use Irfanview as a photo viewer and have nothing but good things to say about it.

When I share photo discs with friends or family who are not really photo or computer savvy I generally include a copy of irfanview on the CD because it is so handy and easy to use.

-

I use Irvanview as a photo viewer and have nothing but good things to say about it.

When I share photo discs with friends or family who are not really photo or computer savvy I generally include a copy of irfanview on the CD because it is so handy and easy to use.

-

+1 on Irvanview for bulk resizing/renaming as well. But I think the real name is Irfanview according to my desktop icon.

Any programs for batch conversion of RAW to JPEG? I can do them one at a time with Photoshop Elements, but it's slow. I've got three DVDs filled with pictures from a trip across the western US that I took a couple of years ago in my Jeep.

There was some talk in a thread recently, and it was said that its best to shoot in RAW. So I gave it a shot at the rodeo last night, and now i can't get the pics on my PC. I use fireworks for image editing, no where near as fancy as PS but it works and its what i have.
I think I have an old version of PS somewhere, would that work?

I found this one that has some decent reviews. Raw Therapee
RT_SS_03.jpg

RT_SS_01.jpg

It is only for Windows based machines though.

Excellent. Thanks for the recommendation.

FYI, IfranView has a plugin that you can install that works on .nef files. I've already been using it to look at my trip photos.

microsoft has a free plugin that lets windows recognize nef files and at least show them as thumbnails. Over the weekend I'll try and track it down.

It is only for Windows based machines though.[/QUOTE]

They have a Linux version also. It's a great tool, I use it for all my RAW photos and then edit in GIMP.

Back