• Welcome to the Two Wheeled Texans community! Feel free to hang out and lurk as long as you like. However, we would like to encourage you to register so that you can join the community and use the numerous features on the site. After registering, don't forget to post up an introduction!

Apollo 1 Memorial Bike

KyleD

Reaction score
First Name
Kyle
Last Name
D
Didn't see a thread here on this, so here goes. Most of y'all probably remember Apollo 1, for those who don't...

Apollo 1 is the official name given to the never-flown Apollo/Saturn 204 (AS-204) mission. Its command module (CM-012) was destroyed by fire during a test and training exercise on January 27, 1967 at Pad 34 (Launch Complex 34, Cape Canaveral, then known as Cape Kennedy) atop a Saturn IB rocket. The crew onboard were astronauts selected for the first manned Apollo program mission, and all three died in the accident: Command Pilot Virgil I. "Gus" Grissom, Senior Pilot Ed White and Pilot Roger B. Chaffee. Although the ignition source of the fire was never determined, their deaths were attributed to a wide range of lethal design hazards in the early Apollo command module such as its highly pressurized 100% oxygen atmosphere during the test, many wiring and plumbing flaws, flammable materials in the cockpit, a hatch which might not open at all in an emergency, and even the flight suits worn by the astronauts.

rp_kr_apollo01.jpg

groupnasabike.jpg

Apollo15.jpg

Apollo5.jpg

Sparkplug in the exhaust and it'll be all taken care of.

A couple of the Houston Hooligans work at Nasa in Houston...will have to ask if they knew about this.

They couldn't have picked a better bike for this project than the ZX-14. Kick ***.

GPN-2000-000618.jpg

White is definitely that bike's color.

I'd hate to be the one to keep it clean, though. :giveup:

Yep, I remember Apollo 1. I have been a rocket head my whole adult life. Pretty cool bike.

That girder contraption on the nose is just horrible. I know the rocket had it but the bike would have been plenty cool without it.

I absolutely LOVE the custom command-module shaped muffler! ;-)

Am I the only one noticing that the US Flag is displayed incorrectly? (The ones on the bike, not the building).

Beautiful bike however.

Pretty cool. I hadn't heard anything about this.
I like this better than the OCC Columbia memorial bike.

As for the US flags, if you stand the bike up on end, then they're fine.:patriot:

Back