• Welcome to the Two Wheeled Texans community! Feel free to hang out and lurk as long as you like. However, we would like to encourage you to register so that you can join the community and use the numerous features on the site. After registering, don't forget to post up an introduction!

Aprilia RS660 and Tuono 660 - Unveiled Today!

The RS 660 has a nice sound too... similar to the Moto GP V4 bikes..

$11,299 retail! Wow! That’s pretty good!

And 403 pounds ready to ride: it’s 55 pounds less than the CBR650R.

Last edited:
Pending an actual test ride, and consideration of Tuono version, it may be "shut up and take my money" time next spring.

I love my 2016 Tuono Factory. I bet the 660 Tuono will be a hoot to ride. I just don't know if I could take a step back from big bore bikes since most of what I do is commuting. I bet the 660 would be a blast on a track.

Asphalt and Rubber has a HUGE photo gallery:

2021-Aprilia-RS-660-launch-85-scaled.jpg

Best review yet. Aprilia will work out the gremlins. Glad to hear clutch is reasonable: I aborted buying a Ducati Monster 1200S due to a "Popeye" clutch and overall look.

This bike will sell. 100 HP is plenty, a sweet spot similar to my old Triumph Street Triple 675-- just right, but the RS 660 is lighter, with better shifter and instruments and to me looks. I never use the 145 HP on my MV Agusta, but it does go like a "scalded cat".

Waiting for more upright Tuono, then take my money

Most of these will just hit the streets, not the track. As a street bike, the peak HP is nice but useless everywhere but the peak. No reason to ride around like that. While not apples to apples, my OLD R1100S boxer had the same HP but made 73 lbs of torque. As such, it was just a better engine for the street in all cases. Having to keep it wound up to do anything just doesn't make sense. Like I said, not apples to apples because of the cc difference.

But as a track bike, that kind of power curve makes sense. However this thing only "wants" to be a track bike, especially for the money, Is there anything else in this space? No. But they certainly stopped speccing it out when they should've kept going. The suspension for this machine should've been fully adjustable, a better way to add rearsets is just obvious and the shift pattern software update for a price? C'mon. To get this bike ready for a trackday, now you're adding another $3000 at least (new shock, forks and a custom triple clamp, rearsets of choice when the aftermarket catches up) no labor.

Now you're in supersport 4 banger territory or past it. Just buy a ZX6, CBR600RR, etc... The R6 is only 900 bucks more.

But for also running the roads, there's so many other more sensible options that be be tuned into track bikes for less money and without all the ridiculous engineering decisions that make for more work on the owner's part.

All I can say is it's unique in it's displacement space but far from any bike I'd want for street or track. It's neither and there's better options for less money for a do-both bike.

Low weight of the new RS 660 is a major plus compared to the older bikes. Big deal for smaller, older rider such as myself.

Most of the 600 class machines are all within 20 lbs of the RS660. So are most of the middleweight streefighters/nakeds. Realistically, by the time curb weight gets close to 400 lbs, they all feel light as a feather, at least to me used to much larger/heavier beasts.

Maybe I'm biased from previous experiences, but it's hard to get excited about a parallel twin sport bike. If anybody can pull it off, it would certainly be the ape. It is undeniably drop dead Italian gorgeous

Here you go. Tre-pistoni, 145 HP, 400 pounds wet weight, QS, full ABS and TC, counter-rotating shaft, phenomenal brakes. And Italian design.

Attachments

• IMG_0666.jpeg
    IMG_0666.jpeg
    205.7 KB · Views: 150
I love twins of any kind. The best things in the world come in twos.

I think my biggest issue is the price. For this money, I demand fully adjustable suspension. It doesn't have to be premium stuff, but it does need to be fully adjustable. I realize that mechanical bits are more expensive these days than some sensors and a few lines of code but if the suspension is up to the task, the electronics need to work less hard. To me, electronics are a band-aid for a poor performing rolling chassis. But a great rolling chassis can definitely be made better with electronics. This is where they should have gone if they want to occupy a premium space.

I love twins of any kind. The best things in the world come in twos.

I think my biggest issue is the price. For this money, I demand fully adjustable suspension. It doesn't have to be premium stuff, but it does need to be fully adjustable. I realize that mechanical bits are more expensive these days than some sensors and a few lines of code but if the suspension is up to the task, the electronics need to work less hard. To me, electronics are a band-aid for a poor performing rolling chassis. But a great rolling chassis can definitely be made better with electronics. This is where they should have gone if they want to occupy a premium space.
Look for an upgraded version soon..with premium racing suspension components-- for those who want to track the bike. For the street intention, the bike reviewers seem quite satisfied. KTM does the same thing, as other manufacturers...

I see the newly released Triumph Trident: lower cost version of their triple-- lots of competition in this range. 675 CC engine, about 100 hp.

Anyone buy the new RS 660 yet?

Still intrigued with the Tuono upright version: Spring 2021?

If AF1 hasn't gotten one yet, it is safe to assume they aren't here yet.

https://www.af1racingaustin.com/aprilia-inventory
I figured one of the hard core forum members would have flown to Noale, Italy: bought the bike in all three colors, shipped them back air freight, and ridden all three of them at once back to Texas. Guess we have to wait. I am going to find an Aprilia forum and follow the roll out. Rainy day, I am bored.

They have shown up at a couple Aprilia Track Days recently (CotA and Buttonwillow). Fellow MotoAmerica racer Kaleb De Keyrel got the invite to test them out at CotA.

Back