• Welcome to the Two Wheeled Texans community! Feel free to hang out and lurk as long as you like. However, we would like to encourage you to register so that you can join the community and use the numerous features on the site. After registering, don't forget to post up an introduction!

Bad Choices Make Great Stories - The Rundown 2016

Reaction score
First Name
Rich
Last Name
Gibbens
Riders: Please feel free to add your Rundown 2016 ride report and photos to this thread.

20160412-_1140447-X2.jpg

"You're going to Mexico? On your motorcycle? (Look of grave concern appears on their face) Aren't you worried?"

Some version of the above is the first and most common response after I tell someone I'm going riding in Mexico. Clearly, the person I'm speaking with doubts the wisdom of my choice, considering it to be a bad decision and expecting I'll be killed by the drug cartels the moment I set foot in Mexico.

But I wasn't killed and neither were any of the other 45 riders who went with me. And, sure enough, we ended up with some good stories.

20160409-_1140115-X2.jpg

Last edited:
Ride stats:

54 riders signed up to attend. I didn't get a perfect headcount because some headed to Mexico early or took different paths there and back. My best guess is about 45 riders actually attended in some form or fashion.

7 days: the ride began and ended in Mission, TX.

1503 miles

Mix of pavement and dirt. I rode dirt every day.

Last edited:
Quit yakking and start posting some pics! :photo:

Stuntman Jeff and I were the last to head downrange, crossing the border into Mexico about 10 a.m. on Saturday morning. Unfortunately, the first part of the ride consists of 200 miles of boring highway across the coastal plans to Ciudad Victoria. The only thing to do was to just grin and bear it, knowing that better riding lay ahead for us.

Stuntman and I were both riding Husqvarna TR650 Terras - the finest Adventure class thumper ever produced (not that there is much competition in the adventure thumper class). Our Terras performed admirably, with the exception of the less that perfect fuel map on my Terra. I hope to have that issue rectified before my next long ride on the Terra.
20160409-_1140119_20_21_22_23-XL.jpg

At the 100 mile mark Stuntman and I stopped to refuel, stretch our legs, and have a snack. A few minutes after we stopped a rider on a BMW X-Challenge headed to McAllen did the same thing. The rider, Maat on advrider.com, had been riding in Mexico for about 6 weeks and was headed back to the states. A simple twist of fate resulted in us arriving at the same spot at the exact same time.
20160409-_1140117-XL.jpg

This older gentleman sang and played his guitar and harmonica for us while we enjoyed our cold beverage and some street tamales.
20160409-_1140125-XL.jpg

The fun riding started west of Ciudad Victoria on some wonderful twisty pavement. The old section of Hwy 101 west of Victoria is a bit of twisty goodness running up and over the mountains. It's scenic and fun but slow so the powers that be built a new section lower down the mountains a few years back. That's where all the traffic is. Leaving the old section to us. Which is fine by me.

Various scenes as we rode west.
20160409-_1140126-XL.jpg

20160409-_1140130-XL.jpg

20160409-_1140131-XL.jpg

20160409-_1140132-XL.jpg

20160409-_1140133_4_5_6_7-XL.jpg

20160409-_1140138_39_40_41_42-XL.jpg

You can see the new section of Hwy 101 in this picture.
20160409-_1140143_4_5_6_7-XL.jpg

20160409-_1140149-XL.jpg

20160409-_1140150-XL.jpg

My Terra is such a beautiful motorcycle...
20160409-_1140153_4_5_6_7-XL.jpg

After crossing the mountains, we blazed through the desert to the dusty little town of Juamave. The first dirt of the trip started just outside of Juamave.

Snack break in Juamave
20160409-_1140158-XL.jpg

Juamave - pretty typical small town scene in Mexico
20160409-_1140159_60_61_62_63-XL.jpg

Last edited:
Cool. It's always hard to stop for a picture while on the bike. Thanks for taking the time.

Apparently the seats on the greatest DS bikes aren't so great...? :-P

So you got the finest dual-sport adventure bike ever produced eh ?
You trying to pick a fight ? That's a good start.
Who owns Husky now....mmmm. Wonder what parts availability will look like
In a few years.
Don't get me wrong....cool bike but ever produced ?
Looking forward to more pics.

So you got the finest dual-sport adventure bike ever produced eh ?

No, in my opinion it's not finest dual sport adventure bike ever produced. However, I think the TR650 Terra is the finest adventure thumper ever produced. Again, that's my opinion.

Due to the wide variance of "dual sport adventure" bikes on the market I find it reasonable to sub-divide bikes into categories. I classify them like this: Adventure bikes weigh 400 lbs or more and are biased toward road worthiness. Dual sport bikes weigh between 300 and 400 lbs and try to be equally good on- and off-pavement. Dirt bikes with blinkers are sub-300 lbs and are biased to excel off-pavement and off-road.

Note that the above classification serves as a guide, not a rule of law.

In the Adventure class (bikes weighing 400 or more lbs) there are thumpers and multi-cylinder bikes. Of the thumpers (there aren't many - the main ones being the KLR650, F650/GS/Dakar/Sertao, DR650, and TR650), I think the TR650 is the best of the bunch.

You trying to pick a fight ? That's a good start.

Just sharing my opinion. YMMV.

Who owns Husky now....mmmm.

KTM. Though the TR was designed and built while under BMW ownership. As I understand it, KTM didn't buy/acquire the rights to the TR650 when it bought Husky.

Wonder what parts availability will look like
In a few years.

I'm not expecting it to be great. I read that KTM's CEO said parts for the older Husky's (including the TR650) would be available for 10 years following KTM's purchase of Husky. And there are a significant # of interchangeable parts with BMW bikes. But, still, parts availability remains a lingering question for me.

Of course, parts availability doesn't make the bike any less capable. It just makes it less desireable.

Don't get me wrong....cool bike but ever produced ?

I think it's the best ever in it's category. Which, candidly, isn't a particularly high bar considering the mostly antiquated competition in that category. YMMV.

Last edited:
Thumper adventure bike category is the most hotly contested category.
Every thing is cool till the 2 words "ever produced"
But heh just my opinion,you put yourself out on a limb with 2 words.
And that is a high and mighty stick.
Couldn't let you get away with that one.?

Thumper adventure bike category is the most hotly contested category.
Every thing is cool till the 2 words "ever produced"
But heh just my opinion,you put yourself out on a limb with 2 words.
And that is a high and mighty stick.
Couldn't let you get away with that one.?

Fair enough.

I would like to read in another thread how you quantify "the most hotly contested category" because the multi-cylinder adventure bikes seem the most active and hotly contested category to me. But that's just my opinion.

This is my last post in this thread on the topic but would be happy to read your thoughts and logic in the appropriate thread.

On with the ride report.

The topic is "Adventure class Thumpers" to set the record straight
And yes my last word on that here also.
Thanks for posting the pics.

worthy of subscribing (minus the debate, :mrgreen:)
Thanks for taking us along...

The best thumper? The one that's in Mexico, of course!
webme_beer.jpg

:party:
Now let's see some more photos already!

Great ride had by all . Lovely country.
Tighten your axle nuts at Mexico standards or you'll end up riding two-up like these guys.

Attachments

• Resized_20160412_193624(0)001.jpg
    Resized_20160412_193624(0)001.jpg
    30.6 KB · Views: 332
Last edited:
Back