• Welcome to the Two Wheeled Texans community! Feel free to hang out and lurk as long as you like. However, we would like to encourage you to register so that you can join the community and use the numerous features on the site. After registering, don't forget to post up an introduction!

Bajaj Freedom : Natural Gas and Gas Hybrid

Reaction score
Set to be unveiled on July 5, Bajaj will introduce the first natural gas powered motorcycle. It is a hybrid though. I have heard of converting your gas car to a natural gas powered one - some people do that in Europe. Not sure what tech in involved.

I recall converting to LPG was a thing back 40 years ago; wanna say it seemed synched with the oil bust but that doesn’t make much sense.

Driving around with a giant tank of flammable gas under high pressure never seemed like a great idea to me be it LPG, CNG, or H2. But that’s just me.

Here it is:

240 mpg claimed!

Only $1,150

bajaj-freedom-cng-bike-launch-price-2.jpg

bajaj-cng-freedom-125-fuel-tank4.jpg

Im pretty sure I will have no problem resisting the temptation , ive worked on a few things made in india in the past , id rather work on American stuff made 75 years ago , much better build quality .

It's cool to see this kind of innovation happening in the motorcycle space. Even if one specific idea doesn't work out, it's great that creative people are coming up with new ideas. I am probably not a candidate for this particular innovation either, but I applaude the effort.

Cool that someone has bothered to innovate. I wonder if the price of CNG in India is better than in the USA because it's about 2x the price of petrol for the same BTUs here.

I don't see this ever being an option on the USA. Unlike electric bikes which can be plugged into a wall charger, while many homes have natural gas, you'd need a special pump to fill a pressurized cylinder. I just don't see something like that ever being approved for use in residential dwellings. I design cryogenic pumps for all kinds of gasses including hydrogen and their companion power ends for all kinds of industries and nothing is suitable for anything but outside use away from everything, just in case.

I drove a CNG / Gasoline service truck. Two large tanks in the bed and couldn't even go one hundred miles. There were only two places to fill it in Austin. We just flipped to gasoline and stayed there. Then it didn't have much power and got terrible fuel milage on gasoline.
It also was gutless on CNG not to mention I only had a half of the service bed to carrying equipment.
I believe they were all Chevy service bed trucks
I do like LPG powered vehicles. You can fill from home and drive a long way and motors last longer it seems. Just build a gasoline motor that gets a hundred miles per gallon that will power a big vehicle.

Im pretty sure I will have no problem resisting the temptation , ive worked on a few things made in india in the past , id rather work on American stuff made 75 years ago , much better build quality .
C'mon man, what could go wrong? Hold my Steel Reserve...

And where do fill er up? Takes about 20 minutes for me to get my propane filled on a good day :-) 200 mile range? At least it will burn very clean and the cheap engine might last a while.

I had a 78 ford with LP (old work truck from kens counter top shop) , it was gutless but even on gas it wasn't a whole lot better. I eventually took it off. I seem to remember concerns about it running real dry and not being good for the motors (the cylinders) but that's been 30 years ago a lot has changed since then.

Lp has always been a dry fuel , no upper lube for valves , works just fine on flathead motors but overhead valves are destroyed by 100,000 miles and newer fuel injected lp fueled are a nightmare . Run as fast as you can away from one . Lp is 25% less power than gasoline and CNG is about the same less than LP . Some years back city of houston bought into the CNG hyp for busses , they made an interesting discovery . Unless the bus was at cruising speed it would not climb the flyovers on the freeways , surface streets only . Since the only time west loop is at cruising speed is from 1:00 am to 5:00 am , kinda off hours for a bus route .

Last edited:
Back