• Welcome to the Two Wheeled Texans community! Feel free to hang out and lurk as long as you like. However, we would like to encourage you to register so that you can join the community and use the numerous features on the site. After registering, don't forget to post up an introduction!

Battery Tender Jr vs Battery Tender Plus

Reaction score
I have been useing a Batt Tender Jr for about 4years now on my FJR. It does the job fine I guess (same battery). But lately it seems I'm always having to buy a battery for everything else, lawnmowers, atvs, dirt bike etc.:doh: So I'm thinking in the long run it would pay to put the tenders on all of them.

My question is given what I am going to use them for is the Jr the best route to take? Not sure what the difference is between the two other then out put. The Jr is .75amp and the plus is 1.25.

The Jr seems to run approx $26 & the Plus $46

http://www.batterymart.com/p-battery-tender-jr-12v-0_75a-battery-charger.html

I would just go with the JR. I think the difference is that the JR can only maintain the batt while the Plus can actually charge it as well. I like the JR because you just stick it on the wall and plug it into the bike, there's not a big box hanging around, plus when you go somewhere, you can take it with you a lot easier in a saddlebag if you feel the need.

The Plus has the capability to charge a dead battery. The Jr is really intended to maintain a good battery (although some folks have used it with success to revive a flat battery). The Plus has the charging schedule and horsepower needed to charge high internal resistance batteries (essentially everything other than a lead-acid).

Take inventory of what kinds of batteries you are tending. That can help you choose which charger to get.

The Jr will charge a battery, but is not designed to bring a dead battery back to life.

I use the $3.99 ones i got on sale at Harbor Freight for all the bikes and the lawn mower. I have used it on a dead battery (instructions say not too) and it brought it back just fine. Any body had problems with these?

Thanks for the info folks! Since I already have a traditional battery charger and I useually buy plain jane batteries I think I'll be looking into purchasing some Jr's.

just bought a jr yesterday.
usually ride several times a week but with this weather, the bikes sittin more than it likes to

If it ain't broke.....

stick w/ the jr. for 1/2 the cost.

As I was ordering the Jr's I ran accross this review. Pretty much somes up what ya'll said with a little more info that may help someone else.
In the analysis of buying a Tender Jr. vs. a Tender Plus, the main issues are time to full charge, battery size, & parasitic draw. The Tender Plus (1.25) will get the job done twice as fast as the Tender Jr. (0.75). Both now are similar architecturally, save it be the charging power & lack of temperature compensation on the Jr. They both are 4 stage, both have the same sophisticated computer chip technology running the charging process, etc... I spoke to The Deltran(The Manufacturer) customer service department on 3 different occasions, making sure I had the facts right. The first 2 times I was misinformed about the temperature compensation issue. I am editing this review to be accurate as of today's date of 12/01/10. Because The Plus will bring a battery to full charge twice as quickly as The Jr. will, The Plus has a much better chance at overcoming a parasitic draw on your batteries power.

I've got two Jr's at home. One is connected to the Bandit and the other to my '91 Vette. The Vette, with the factory security system and other parasitic current draws, will kill the battery if left unattended for about 4-6 weeks. The Battery Tender Jr. with its 3/4 amp output has no trouble keeping the battery topped off.

I use the $3.99 ones i got on sale at Harbor Freight for all the bikes and the lawn mower. I have used it on a dead battery (instructions say not too) and it brought it back just fine. Any body had problems with these?

Never had an issue with mine. Regular price is now $12.99 though but currently on sale for $9.99. I have a email coupon good until 2/27 for $4.99 each. If you need the coupon PM with your email address and I'll send it to you.

_

The cheapo battery tenders such as from Harbor Freight are good for conventional wet cell batteries - not good for gel cell and other alternative batteries. The Jr is designed to handle the newer batteries.

I've got one junior and it gets switched back and forth between my two bikes and two cars. Works just fine and runs nearly all day every day.

The cheapo battery tenders such as from Harbor Freight are good for conventional wet cell batteries - not good for gel cell and other alternative batteries. The Jr is designed to handle the newer batteries.

Could be why I killed one of mine...on a AGM battery...but have used them on lawnmowers and such with no issue to maintain...but I have chargers too...Really like my OPtimate 4....

I think I am going to try a couple of these.
Anybody ever use this brand?

AutoThumbnail.axd

I have a 4 gang battery tender on my 4 bikes and two Jr.s on two cars that are rarely driven. The Jr.s have a smaller charge rate but the same float rate as the regular battery tenders. The Jr.s keep the cars fully charged even though they have electronics that pull on the batteries. Its a matter of convenience, the bikes are close together and work well with the gang charger. I bought the 25 ft extensions for the gang charger from eBay for a fraction of the cost at Batteries +.

Back