• Welcome to the Two Wheeled Texans community! Feel free to hang out and lurk as long as you like. However, we would like to encourage you to register so that you can join the community and use the numerous features on the site. After registering, don't forget to post up an introduction!

be careful of cashiers check

Reaction score
from another site, that check looks pretty authentic

plasticweld said:
I have sold my R1

DSC03420_650.jpg

I did it through cycle trader and you always get the scam artists sending you a phony offer with a cashiers check for the bike. I decided to play along just for the fun of it. I figured what the **** I wanted something to hang on the wall of my office so here is my phony cashiers check made out to me that I can now hang on the wall..

the bike is sold to someone else but I will have this forever:D

DSC04380.jpg

That's funny..
I'd like to hear the story on how he got them to send the check.

If I was selling anything nowadays, it would be cash only, we would meet at my bank, and verify that all the bills were legit, then the bike would change hands.
But who am I to say, my wife says bikes with me are like the roach motel, they come in, but never leave..

igo-wfo said:
But who am I to say, my wife says bikes with me are like the roach motel, they come in, but never leave..

I'm trying to get Squidward to let me do the same thing...I have 4 bikes in mind...to start :trust:

You simply call the bank and have them verify they issued the check. Lookup the phone number on the Internet, don't take it off the check.

I did this a few years ago when selling a car via the 'net. Phoned the bank in California. They were happy to verify the check number, the date issued, the amount, the remitter, etc. It all lined up, so off I sent the car.

In contrast, my brother got the usual Nigerian scam when selling a car. A cashiers check arrived via FedEx, ostensibly drawn on a bank in Houston. (He lives in Michigan.) He phoned the bank; they stated the bank did not issue the check. He turned it over to the FBI... I think the bank stated they got calls on 5-6 fake checks per week.

- JimY

Larry_77084 said:
:scratch::scratch: OK, I guess I'm goofy but what makes or convinced him that it was fake?

$12,500.42 offered for a 2000 model R1 would be a pretty good clue. Not to mention the $.42. When was the last time you saw someone selling a used bike for anything other than a round number?

Squidward said:
$12,500.42 offered for a 2000 model R1 would be a pretty good clue. Not to mention the $.42. When was the last time you saw someone selling a used bike for anything other than a round number?
That doesn't make it a bad check maybe that was the asking price. As far as the 42 cents maybe that was the figure quoted with sales tax. Maybe the buyer was in the same state or a state that requires sales tax regardless of the state it was sold to. You think I said maybe enough?

Larry_77084 said:
That doesn't make it a bad check maybe that was the asking price. As far as the 42 cents maybe that was the figure quoted with sales tax. Maybe the buyer was in the same state or a state that requires sales tax regardless of the state it was sold to. You think I said maybe enough?
I don't know about New York, but in no state that I have lived in does one pay sales tax to a private party...they pay directly to the local government when registering the vehicle.

There was one guy who did something similar on another forum. There was even a website to track the shipment of the bike through the buyers shipping company and just like UPS you could enter a tracking number and it would show you a status. The check, shipping company, and website were all setup and fake. Be careful these scams are getting better every day.

Squidward said:
I don't know about New York, but in no state that I have lived in does one pay sales tax to a private party...they pay directly to the local government when registering the vehicle.
True, taxes are usually paid right to the state but we don't know the guy that got the check is a private party, he could be a dealer and is going to take care of the registration of the bike for the new owner. My point is just because it's an odd amount doesn't make it a bad check.

I'm not real sure what NY has to do with it but I haven't lived there in over 20 years.

Anyway, I don't anticipate getting a cashiers check anytime soon but if I do I will check with the bank to be sure it's a good check.

When I sold the Gamma. I opened an account gave him the transit number he deposited cash. I transferred it out and closed the account. Then we made shipping arrangements.

More trust on his part than mine.

The scam is that the buyers agent has a cashier's check for a whole lot more than the purchase price, and he wants you to accept it, send him the difference and the item purchased. The check has been forged, they don't really want the merchandise, just the money. But if they get both then they have stung the seller twice. Their check is worthless (look at that one, it's from two different banks supposedly) and the sale price was probably $2000 to $3000 less than the cashier's check.
Has nothing to do with shipping, taxes, NY or Florida. Straight up Nigerian fraud scheme.

Just like the ones that say your bank account is locked until you call the bank number sent to you in the email. Which is part of the scam. Then they have all of your info.
Or from eBay or PayPal, or wherever. The thieves are getting real bold. I have one that tried thru Yahoo to say that they had not received the merchandise I sold on eBay. I haven't sold anything since January.
Or the one that says thank you for buying a $500 phone from us, here is your receipt, and it is being shipped to someone in Maine..... same scam. They want you to call, and give them your bank account or account info to continue the scam. And there are folk who jump at the emails and respond, then wonder why the real account has a $2000 charge. I have a class mate from High School (and she is old enough to know better) that just did that. And now is trying to get her accounts back in order.

These scum are like the ones writing programs to get into your computer and use it to try to access other computers, or mainframes.
Man, with black boxes under the hood, gps tracking cell phones and someone trying to get all your accounts, it's time to cut the wires, and use direct communication (no phone calls either). All comes back to George Orwell's Animal Farm or also known as 1984. What was the villian in one of the Twilight Zone movies -- TPC? "The Phone Company". And Big Brother is watching. Have you gotten your implanted bar code yet?

Ride on, ya'll.

Larry_77084 said:
True, taxes are usually paid right to the state but we don't know the guy that got the check is a private party, he could be a dealer and is going to take care of the registration of the bike for the new owner. My point is just because it's an odd amount doesn't make it a bad check.

I'm not real sure what NY has to do with it but I haven't lived there in over 20 years.

Anyway, I don't anticipate getting a cashiers check anytime soon but if I do I will check with the bank to be sure it's a good check.
The seller is Bob Brown a.k.a. Plasticweld. He owns EmpireGP which is his business that specializes in plastic welding, bodywork, and paint for motorcycles. He is in New York and most likely sold the bike as a private party.

As for the odd amount, it's typical of scammers to use such high amounts....then they do the old "I drafted a check for such and such amount over our agreed upon price. Simply cash the check then return the overage to me." etc. I only take cash for such purchases.

Squidward said:
The seller is Bob Brown a.k.a. Plasticweld. He owns EmpireGP which is his business that specializes in plastic welding, bodywork, and paint for motorcycles. He is in New York and most likely sold the bike as a private party.

As for the odd amount, it's typical of scammers to use such high amounts....then they do the old "I drafted a check for such and such amount over our agreed upon price. Simply cash the check then return the overage to me." etc. I only take cash for such purchases.

Like I said above told you I was goofy. ;-)

SirWilhelm said:
(look at that one, it's from two different banks supposedly)
My local bank is the Aggieland Credit Union, but it is a branch of and payable through the larger organization called The Greater Texas Federal Credit Union. I would assume the pictured check is copied from a similar setup.

When my Canadian bank draws cheques in US funds it lists Wells Fargo as a US affiliate on the cheque as well.

Not that I noticed on this one.

How about having them wire transfer the money to your bank. Have a contact at your bank handle the thing with their bank that way you are not giving out any info.

Here is a story to make you hate banks. My son sold a camera on e-bay and the buyer sent a check. My son held the camera until the bank said the check cleared. So he mailed the camera. Then the bank called back and said, oops, the check was kicked back by the issuing bank because it was a fake. Funds had been withdrawn from my son's account.
The only good news is that my son didn't follow the buyers directive as to shipping. The buyer gave an address and said sent it UPS. My son sent it USPS with signature required. The thief wouldn't accept it so the camera came back. I guess it would have been a federal crime had he signed for it.:doh:

Back