• Welcome to the Two Wheeled Texans community! Feel free to hang out and lurk as long as you like. However, we would like to encourage you to register so that you can join the community and use the numerous features on the site. After registering, don't forget to post up an introduction!

BMW Shift Cam 1250's mpg discussion.

Reaction score
I didn't want to muck someone's for sale thread when seeing topic of 1200 and 1250s with the complexity . The 1250's extra step to adjust valves and timing is 2 min deal to remove the shift cam solenoid. That's it easy task . Here are the crazy benefit's Power and economy .

Last week riding the Ozarks with some former CMRA race buddie's we never were hauling butt in the straights ( 5 mph over posted ) but we were 20 to 30 plus mph faster than the listed recommended turn speeds . The RS1250 still managed 48 miles per gallon , and was on the cam very often.

Last day of riding with the wife on her tiger 900 GT was very relaxed riding the speed limit , and maybe 10 mph over the listed turn speeds rolling in 6th and sometimes 5th gear .
A whopping 63 mpg . Both of these figures are off paper math not the bikes computer , but its not far off as it listed 62.x mpg and 47.x mpg in the two riding situations .

Riding up to Arkansas at a avg speed of 77 mph for 645 miles managed 50.x mpg .

I'm not a fan of the 1300 currently out , but those that have a 1200 and think the 1254 cc lump is difficult to service it is not . Worth mentioning the R1250RS has a different bevel box ratio over the GS series. My good friend David with a 2023 GS1250 Trophy only gets high 40's and once in the 50 range mpg . I imagine the larger foot print , larger wheels and gearing difference account for the slightly lower fuel millage .

Had the pleasure to ride and service both 1200's and 1250's in RT / RS / GS variants

2019-BMW-R-1250-RT-GS-515582-1024x683.jpg

2019-BMW-R-1250-RT-GS-515575-1024x723.jpg

That's great input, but the amount of time you recently posted doing a valve adjustment seemed pretty long at least to me, compared to what I took to do my 1200 recently, which included pulling cams on one side and it was my first time. If its that easy, maybe I need the 1250. My point was only that its a bit more complex (and that's what I said it the fellows thread). Fuel economy is important to me, and I always forget how much better the taller gearing like your RS an RT or even an R does, over an GS or GSA which is likely way more of a factor that any shift cam technology which is largely inactive in touring
conditions.
Over the last 10K miles I got 41-43 limping around on my 2016 1200 GSA. And I'm usually not going fast or accelerating too hard except when passing. I'm disappointed as I'd like to see another 5mpg! But after 140K miles on various GSA's I know better and am happy to pay to play.
My time on a 1250 has been limited to a lowly 6 mile test ride after servicing MrPanAms 2020 R1250GSA when he first bought it, so in that situation it felt similar to my 1200GSA. I certainly did not fully experience the excitement of a shift cam and the power bumps it may provide. Although I have owner Honda VTECs before. BMW apparently is still flaunting it on the 1300 so I should ride a shift cam for a few hundred miles to see it its really useful in the real world riding where I reside. My guess is yes, I'd be spoiled. Thanks for your input. Always appreciated.

That's great input, but the amount of time you recently posted doing a valve adjustment seemed pretty long at least to me, compared to what I took to do my 1200 recently, which included pulling cams on one side and it was my first time. If its that easy, maybe I need the 1250. My point was only that its a bit more complex (and that's what I said it the fellows thread). Fuel economy is important to me, and I always forget how much better the taller gearing like your RS an RT or even an R does, over an GS or GSA which is likely way more of a factor that any shift cam technology which is largely inactive in touring
conditions.
Over the last 10K miles I got 41-43 limping around on my 2016 1200 GSA. And I'm usually not going fast or accelerating too hard except when passing. I'm disappointed as I'd like to see another 5mpg! But after 140K miles on various GSA's I know better and am happy to pay to play.
My time on a 1250 has been limited to a lowly 6 mile test ride after servicing MrPanAms 2020 R1250GSA when he first bought it, so in that situation it felt similar to my 1200GSA. I certainly did not fully experience the excitement of a shift cam and the power bumps it may provide. Although I have owner Honda VTECs before. BMW apparently is still flaunting it on the 1300 so I should ride a shift cam for a few hundred miles to see it its really useful in the real world riding where I reside. My guess is yes, I'd be spoiled. Thanks for your input. Always appreciated.
The extra time is just the shift solenoid and its not much for the gains . I failed to mention I was running 91 octane ethanol free fuel up in AR so this does add to efficiency. I need to do a test run on a set road at set speed in same conditions . 10 to 15% ethanol vs non- ethanol fuel and see what the true difference is .

Ed the difference between a 1200 RS and a 1250 is night and day . While the 1200 is no slouch it does not hit like a 1250 . I decided a new BMW 1250 was worth the extra 10K over a used R1200RS in nice condition . The RS1250 is the closest thing to my old hyper tour rig of 207 RWHP and 113 tq without building one all over again . Best part is a single side swing arm , center stand and shaft drive .

Photo attached is RJ aka Ram Jam in the Hayabusa world . Google Busawing ;)

20170722_193446.jpg

Hayabusa on FM362 jan 5th 2019.JPG

20160424_162623.jpg

Just another data point for the 1200 RT. Just got back from Arkansas and averaged 57.74 mpg over 740 miles. Riding with my buddy who rides a Road Glide and is pretty laid back. Pretty much posted speed then around +15 or 20 over posted corner speeds. Trip up and back came in at 44.72 mpg. 5 over posted, corners faster. Of course I ran out of corners once I left Arkansas. :doh:

Around here on 80 to 100 mile rides I hardly ever see over 42, but use the loud switch more.

Last edited:
This came in yesterday after ordering on 10/6/23

Last tool from BMW to complete my kit.
List is 169 plus another 20 for sleave.
Special pricing due to wait time / my discount/ and a previous counter sale over charge when manager was on vacation.

20240604_180500.jpg

Best I have seen out of my 1250 GSA is 50 mpg but I am more than content with those numbers given the shear size, weight and aero of the bike. I had experienced the shift cam tech prior to buying this bike and that was what pushed me into a 1250 versus saving thousands with a lightly used 1200.

Best I have seen out of my 1250 GSA is 50 mpg but I am more than content with those numbers given the shear size, weight and aero of the bike. I had experienced the shift cam tech prior to buying this bike and that was what pushed me into a 1250 versus saving thousands with a lightly used 1200.
I need to run a 1250 a bit to experience the shift cam. I just don't ride that hard anymore. Except for maybe today trying to get home from Hutto when it was 95 degrees at 12:30.

I did the valve clearance check on my '23 1250GS a week ago. Corrected the can timing. Haven't ridden except for a couple of breakfast runs since. Will do a Colorado ride next week and will keep an eye on mileage. Previous trips have had MPG down in low 40s. It would be nice to get high 40s but I'd be very surprised if I see that. 200 miles on a tank is pretty nervous. Maybe I need to slow down? ;-)

LD riders like distance and not stopping every 100 miles for fuel . This could get 17 mpg or 51 mpg depending on cruise speed or cruise missal speed .

20200726_104239.jpg

I do love that bike.

Anyway, I hate stopping for gas and fret over my mpg a lot but I’m really more concerned with range. It looks like my new windscreen may have bumped my mpg’s up a little. I’ve been averaging 37 mpg a tank at highway velocities for over 4,000 recorded miles but my last tank (with the new screen) of similar speed was just over 40 mpg. I’ll be very happy if that holds true. Will know more next week.

I did the valve clearance check on my '23 1250GS a week ago. Corrected the can timing. Haven't ridden except for a couple of breakfast runs since. Will do a Colorado ride next week and will keep an eye on mileage. Previous trips have had MPG down in low 40s. It would be nice to get high 40s but I'd be very surprised if I see that. 200 miles on a tank is pretty nervous. Maybe I need to slow down? ;-)

At what mileage did you do the valve check?

A bit over 10,000 miles. All the valves were in spec and towards the loose end of the window. Made the job pretty easy. Cam timing was off about 4 or 5 degrees.

I'm heading to Colorado next week. I'll see if I notice any change.

Back