• Welcome to the Two Wheeled Texans community! Feel free to hang out and lurk as long as you like. However, we would like to encourage you to register so that you can join the community and use the numerous features on the site. After registering, don't forget to post up an introduction!

brakes seized..any quick tricks to un-seize? CBR1100XX

Reaction score
Clearing out the garage today and I finally made it back to my 1999 CBR1100XX. She has been sitting there for about two years. It's sad really. I went to move her so that I can put up shelving and no go. Both front and rear brakes are locked up. The Blackbird is blessed(?) with a linked braking system so there is that.

I'm in a time crunch to get the bike moved so I can do the shelving unit. So I'm looking for some simple and quick ideas. I already took the cover off the master cylinder thinking that would relieve pressure on the system. Wheels still locked up.

What next?

1721404396494.png

Opening the bleeder valves should help if it is a hydraulic problem causing the brakes to be applied.
If it is just the pad material seized to the rotors, good old fashioned persuasion is what it will take to free them.

More than likely the pads are stuck to the rotor from extended storage , take the calipers off or pry the pads away from the disk , both ways can damage a rotor or the pads but one or both are toast anyway . Very unlikly that hydraulic pressure will build up from storage and cause the brakes to lockup

Penetrating oil might unfreeze them too but pad replacment would be required before the brakes would work again .

Opened the bleeder valve on the rear caliper, it spit out a couple drops of fluid. Freed up both wheels. Thanks for the assist.

Opened the bleeder valve on the rear caliper, it spit out a couple drops of fluid. Freed up both wheels.
That was easy. Sometimes, they require a tap on the calipers with the bleeder open to break them loose. I am always careful not to squeeze hydraulic brake and clutch levers on bikes that have been sitting.

I'll take it off your hands and save you the trouble! Lol
HiSPL--- Funny you mention that... I think today pushed me to a decision point. I haven't ridden the XX in longer than I like to think about and wasn't riding super regular after the kids came along. I think it is time to sell. So I'm faced with the quandary of how much work to put in the bike to get best return versus take some low ball price just to get space in the garage (for dirt bikes for the boys....and me).

HiSPL--- Funny you mention that... I think today pushed me to a decision point. I haven't ridden the XX in longer than I like to think about and wasn't riding super regular after the kids came along. I think it is time to sell. So I'm faced with the quandary of how much work to put in the bike to get best return versus take some low ball price just to get space in the garage (for dirt bikes for the boys....and me).
If you keep it I suggest a FULL flush of both brakes before you ride it. Good luck.

Its easy to flush the brakes. Just do it. I had a 97 BB first year bike. The hardest thing was to get to the spark plugs.

Back