• Welcome to the Two Wheeled Texans community! Feel free to hang out and lurk as long as you like. However, we would like to encourage you to register so that you can join the community and use the numerous features on the site. After registering, don't forget to post up an introduction!

Caltrops?

Undoubtedly "protesters" causing more civil unrest on a busy fast road.

Nothing says responsible social change like blowing tires and possibly killing innocent motorists and their families, none of who will have any inkling of who you are and what your "cause" is, and probably none of whose deaths will ever be associated with whatever the heck you're protesting.

These were on I-20? That's insane. This isn't "protest" this is attempted manslaughter.

Reactions: JMZ
Not likely a bona fide peaceful protester. Those rioting and causing destruction have not the ambition, smarts, or welder to make these out of rebar. So it ain’t them either.

Last edited:
Pretty much in the same class as the diesel fuel poured in corners i countered on the dragon during bear season. Big difference was i could smell that trap before i sprung it. Some people have little regards to the life they ruin for those they injure or the lives surrounding that person just for what ever evil thrill they posses in their demented, half developed mind.

Are there military or national guard bases that regularly use that portion of road?

Pretty much in the same class as the diesel fuel poured in corners i countered on the dragon during bear season. Big difference was i could smell that trap before i sprung it. Some people have little regards to the life they ruin for those they injure or the lives surrounding that person just for what ever evil thrill they posses in their demented, half developed mind.
At the pace I went threw there I would have definitely went down. That’s scary.

The article said caltrops are illegal to own, sell, manufacture etc. wonder when that happened? I know they used to be sold in bulk at gun shows in Dallas but it’s been several years since Iv been to one.

Are there military or national guard bases that regularly use that portion of road?
You might be thinking of Red River Arsenal closer to I-30. This was on I-20 near Lindale stretching to Van.

Fascinating history around those things but no place for them now.

While I realize the seriousness of the situation having a son, DIL and grandson that travel that area on a daily basis, I am amused at the SCSO comment about the war elephants.

"Even in the absence of war elephants in The Lone Star State, caltrops are "a dangerous road hazard," according to the Smith County Sheriff's Office."

hmmm!!!! caltrop is the symbol of the US Army III corps, Fort Hood.

1024px-3_Corps_Shoulder_Sleeve_Insignia.svg.png

The article said caltrops are illegal to own, sell, manufacture etc. wonder when that happened? I know they used to be sold in bulk at gun shows in Dallas but it’s been several years since Iv been to one.
I have not been able to find when yet, in the 2010's there was multiple incidents of Mexican cartel drug runners deploying them to stop pursuing police.
interestingly it also list spike strips as being illegal.
a quick google search turns up it is quite easy to get fancy ones online.

In a thread on Thumpertalk back in the mid 2000s, they were talking about eco-nazis spreading them on public motorized trails in California, trying to keep people off.

I'm a mile from the I20 west ramp where these caltrops are being dropped, keeping out a sharp eye. These things would be a disaster to motorcycle tires at speed.

Last edited:
Back