• Welcome to the Two Wheeled Texans community! Feel free to hang out and lurk as long as you like. However, we would like to encourage you to register so that you can join the community and use the numerous features on the site. After registering, don't forget to post up an introduction!

CO BDR up and back

Reaction score
Myself along with Robert aka @rshadoan and a good buddy of mine Bartow from St. Louis, MO took out on the CO BDR last Monday. Robert and myself chose to take our KTM 500's which we have outfitted as ULW ADV bikes of sorts. Bartow was on his BMW 850 GSA. We condensed Days 1 and 2 into our Day 1 and rode the most important part of Day 6 at the end of our Day 4 in order to cover all but 100-ish miles of the actual BDR as laid out by Backcountry Discovery Routes. Those sections I chose to eliminate aren't notable and added unnecessary time on asphalt and miles doubling back. Keeping asphalt time to a minimum is always ideal when on small displacement enduros but even more so this trip as I was running mousses in my bike.

We cut off the four corners to Dolores section of Day 1, that saved 60-ish miles of slabbing dirt bikes on a rather boring section of mostly asphalt. After covering those miles when I ran this BDR a few years back I realized it wasn't worth wasting our time on. We rode from Dolores to Telluride via the San Juan NF to cover the remainder of Day 1, we were there before lunch and then we ran up Ophir Pass with a lunch stop in Silverton followed by Corkscrew, Hurricane, California and Cinnamon Passes into Lake City to close out day 1 totaling 160-ish miles. By the route of the BDR this covered both Days 1 and 2 in our first day. Day 2 (150 miles) was Lake City up to Buena Vista through Gunnison NF with stops in Pitkin, CO for lunch and Tin Cup, CO that afternoon for a much needed break. We tooled around in Taylor Park at the OHV area before crossing Cottonwood Pass down into BV. The highlight of this day was the single track in the hills near Sawtooth Mountain.

xpjotOw.jpg

S2V13nD.jpg

nSmiD5d.jpg

FjCTXBv.jpg

vDLAI9C.jpg

brPCEQU.jpg

LI32jFp.jpg

Day 3 took us from BV to Gypsum/Eagle with lunch in Leadville and Haggerman Pass as the highlight of the day. This day covered 140 miles and was rather brutal on my buddy riding his GSA, he incurred some damage to both his bike and his ego haha. We ended up staying to the west in the tiny community of Dotsero and took out via the River Road the next morning. Day 4 was the shortest of the trip covering only 120 miles up to Steamboat Springs of which we completed by noon after our 0730 departure. There wasn't much of anything notable or challenging on the route to SBP, mostly just scenic riding alongside of the Colorado River and around Gore Pass. After lunch in Steamboat we rode up to Hahn's Peak and back (another 80-ish miles) that afternoon to mostly complete and appease Day 6 of the CO BDR which takes you to the Wyoming border. I have done this section in my previous CO BDR travels and it's not worth your time IMHO hence why we rode up and back to the peak to suffice. If you plan to continue on into the WY BDR then you will run this section in full to finish at the border in order to start Day 1 of the WY BDR.

eNesUwY.jpg

kgSW7WF.jpg

24Wo6bY.jpg

NVuthae.jpg

WdzZ7wc.jpg

lTGBUxq.jpg

On the return trip to Dolores we broke it down into two days, the first of which (Day 5) covered 230 miles down to Grand Junction via the White River NF with lunch in Silt, Co along the I70 corridor. The afternoon took us to Grand Mesa past Powderhorn where we dropped into GJ via the Lands End Overlook. They looked to be setting up for an off-road race up the switchbacks of the Lands End overlook when we were on our way down, it was cool to see all of the wild off-road racers prepping at the base of the bluff. Day 6 covered 183 miles from GJ back to Dolores. We took out at 0630 to beat the heat of the high desert and popped up into the Uncompaghre Forest via the Dominguez-Escalante National Conservation Area. This was a rather fast and flowy day with lots of beautiful scenery which was a nice way to end the ride. We were back in Dolores by 1130 where we loaded up the bikes, grabbed lunch and started heading home via Santa Fe, NM.

ax0pcfC.jpg

sOozsPl.jpg

FPmcF5Y.jpg

m2ksxcq.jpg

1EbzbXC.jpg

RCP78so.jpg

This marked my third time to run the CO BDR and that's why I chose to condense Days 1 and 6. Thanks to my prior trips on this particular BDR I knew where we could trim the fat and save some time on sections where the juice just isn't worth the squeeze. Gypsum to Steamboat (BDR Day 5) isn't a very exciting section either and IMHO is another day that could be eliminated by those looking to cut time. I'd be inclined to run over to Grand Junction from Gypsum and cut out all of Days 5 and 6 on the BDR if short on time.

Last edited:
Looks like fun. Thanks for taking us along.

It's been way too long since I've been up there. Thanks for sharing.

Props to your bud on the 850 GS! I would not have wanted to be on that bike on many of those passes! Now those 500s... :trust:

Props to your bud on the 850 GS! I would not have wanted to be on that bike on many of those passes! Now those 500s... :trust:

He definitely bruised his ego a time or two out there on that bike but he kept it together and pushed on. After seeing how the big enduros handled it he is now shopping for a CRF450L/RL haha. He's a relatively new rider so the fact that he came and rode with us at all was amazing in my book, very proud of that guy.

Cool trip and pix.

Assuming y'all hotel'd each night?

Thanks for posting up.

Yes, hotels and BnB’s. I prefer a real bed and a shower these days to stay fresh for the next day haha. I do very little moto camping these days unless it’s absolutely necessary.

Yes, hotels and BnB’s. I prefer a real bed and a shower these days to stay fresh for the next day haha. I do very little moto camping these days unless it’s absolutely necessary.
Keeps the bike light too.

Keeps the bike light too.

Exactly! Even with keeping my kit to the one pair of riding pants I had on every day, three jerseys total (one always worn), some sleeping clothing, street clothes for dinner out in the evenings, underwear, socks, toiletries, a rain jacket, battery jumper box and street shoes, my load out was still over 25lbs. If I had to add in a tent, sleeping bag, cooking utensils/stove, food, etc. I could have easily added another 10-15lbs on to the back of the bike. No thanks!

How was Corkscrew and how rocky was Hagerman? I went up there a couple years ago to do the CDR and turned around on Ophir after dumping it about a quarter way up knowing I wasnt close to the harder part. I did Corkscrew but that was probably the steepest climb I've ever done. It was pretty smooth but it sure was steep. Hagerman was very rocky.

Those passes are just a little to much for me on a loaded Tenere. I'm planning on going up there again next week but fighting that heavy pig up those steep climbs solo is a little intimidating when your used to the hills around Austin. I see a CRF in my future too when I retire and have a little more time to ride.

How was Corkscrew and how rocky was Hagerman? I went up there a couple years ago to do the CDR and turned around on Ophir after dumping it about a quarter way up knowing I wasnt close to the harder part. I did Corkscrew but that was probably the steepest climb I've ever done. It was pretty smooth but it sure was steep. Hagerman was very rocky.

Those passes are just a little to much for me on a loaded Tenere. I'm planning on going up there again next week but fighting that heavy pig up those steep climbs solo is a little intimidating when your used to the hills around Austin. I see a CRF in my future too when I retire and have a little more time to ride.

Going up Ophir can be a struggle for anything bigger than a large bore single. Our buddy on the GSA didn't make it up, he had to turn around. Haggerman was rough for all of us, baby heads on top of baby heads but it is what it is. I ran the BDR a few years back on my 890 and I think that's about the most bike I'd want to ride on some of those passes. I know they create these routes with 1200/1250's in mind but they also offer bypasses and expert sections as well for a reason. Sidewinder has always been one of my favorites in the San Juans and I prefer to run it going up but I like to climb so there's that. In general the passes were very similar to the conditions in years past just less any snow. This was the first year in a very long time that I can remember there not being any snow up top whatsoever.

Great ride report. I will be on the COBDR in a few weeks and have searched far and wide for specifics like you provided. I wanted to know where and what sections to eliminate and where to compress sections. Thanks for the info. Your trip looks like you guys had fun. I would never attempt those passes on a GS but many have done it.
Thanks for sharing
GB

Great ride report. I will be on the COBDR in a few weeks and have searched far and wide for specifics like you provided. I wanted to know where and what sections to eliminate and where to compress sections. Thanks for the info. Your trip looks like you guys had fun. I would never attempt those passes on a GS but many have done it.
Thanks for sharing
GB

Enjoy!

Great report. I agree with your trimmings. Some of the official bdr is just burning gas.
If you recorded your track it'd be a good addition to our trove of gps files.

Great report. I agree with your trimmings. Some of the official bdr is just burning gas.
If you recorded your track it'd be a good addition to our trove of gps files.

Most BDR’s have filler sections and sometimes even entire days. There’s always some fat to be trimmed.

I’ll attach the return trip GPX files this weekend.

Back