• Welcome to the Two Wheeled Texans community! Feel free to hang out and lurk as long as you like. However, we would like to encourage you to register so that you can join the community and use the numerous features on the site. After registering, don't forget to post up an introduction!

Copper Breaks SP

Reaction score
First Name
Scott
Went for an overnight jaunt to Copper Breaks SP near Quanah.

I had two options:
Option 1: The 4:30 hour option that went through Cleburne, Weatherford and Graham.
opt1.png

Or option 2, which went through downtown Fort Worth, Decatur and Wichita Falls and took 3:30 hours.
opt2.png

I went with option 1. The ride was not that interesting, so for the return trip I went 114/281 through Jacksboro and skirted around Fort Worth on 820. Took just under 4 hours.

The park itself is great. There are 3 campgrounds: Big Pond, Comanche and Kiowa. Kiowa is just inside the park and was fairly crowded. Comanche was mostly RVs and there were a few present. Big Pond is at the back of the park and has a horse corral and a star gazing area (field with benches). I stayed at Big Pond and there was only one other gentleman staying there. All of the campsites in Big Pond are on top of bluffs and had great views of the stars. The water in the lake is pretty low and the fishing pier is 30 feet from the water, so I wouldn't plan on fishing.

I didn't take photos of the bike, so you will just have to imagine a black Tiger 800 with Shad side cases and a yellow 60l top bag. I went to check out the "Scenic Overlook" on my way to the campsite. An older lady from Louisiana asked me "Are you on your way to Sturgis or coming back from Sturgis?". She wasn't being funny, this was a legit question from her. It annoyed me, so I responded with "What's a Spurgis?" Then I yanked her dog's leash out of her hand and roosted her. Just kidding. I felt bad about the "Spurgis" thing so I let her explain Sturgis at me for a few minutes and went on my way.

Here is the view from my campsite.

20221013_185531.jpg

20221013_185534.jpg

After I got camp set up, I went to Crowell to try a cool pizza place for dinner. Meh. It was fine, but I was expecting more based on the vibe of the exterior.

Then back to camp for a nice sunset and some starwatching. I spotted 3 shooting stars, which was pretty cool. No photos of the stars, they didn't work out.

20221013_193008.jpg

Then I went for a little stroll. The last time I went camping, all of the snakes would come out after dark and lay on the hot asphalt. So as I walked along the road, I was on the look out for snakes.

Here are 4 snakes that tried to jump out of a bush at me.
20221013_193819.jpg

20221013_193855.jpg

I also had a snake with long ears and a fluffy tail try to attack me, but I scared it off with my war shriek. I didn't get a photo because I didn't want to get pee on my phone.

At about 10:30, the moon came out and got serenaded by a few dozen coyotes. Unfortunately, the moon was too bright for more star gazing, so I went to bed.

At around 3am, I heard the world's largest mountain lion clawing around my tent. Every time I looked for it, it would blend into the shadows. On the 3rd try to capture the mountain lion, I saw the furry snake with the long ears. I realized the hopping snake was trying to catch the mountain lion as well, so I left him to it and went back to bed.

I woke up around 6 and loafed around, bored, waiting for it to warm up enough to pack the bike. I did get a nice sunrise and another coyote serenade.

20221014_075025.jpg

Then I packed up and headed home.

I learned five things on this trip.

Even mesquite trees suffer from mistletoe.
It always takes twice as long to take down camp as it did to set up camp.
If you are worried about snakes, all you will see is snakes.
If you want to know where the best place to eat lunch is in a small town, ask a cop.
Chairs don't take up that much space, but you will wish you had one if you don't bring one.

Bonus observation: If you are going somewhere that has thousands of windmills around, you will spend some time riding with a cross wind.

Attachments

• 20221014_070850.jpg
    20221014_070850.jpg
    96.1 KB · Views: 87
I'll have to put that park on my list to see sometime. Beautiful canyon scenery and bonus colors setting in.

Great pix. Thanks for posting. I've never been to that park but have head of it since forever.

Some one mentioned it in a post about campgrounds in the panhandle area and I thought "Why not?". I used it as a test trip for a Big Bend trip that is definitely going to happen this decade.

I think my next overnight will be Beavers Bend up in Broken Bow OK. Do a little fly fishing before it gets too cold to ride.

Back