• Welcome to the Two Wheeled Texans community! Feel free to hang out and lurk as long as you like. However, we would like to encourage you to register so that you can join the community and use the numerous features on the site. After registering, don't forget to post up an introduction!

Cost Rica 2009

maximo

Reaction score
I had some vacation and miles to burn so I booked a flight and rented a motorcycle in Costa Rica. I rented the bike from wild-riders in San Jose.
They hooked me up with a Yamaha xt600. I arrived in San Jose on 1/27, spent the night, picked up the bike the following day and was on my way for a full week with no real plan. I decided to make my way first to Puntarenas, then take the ferry across the Gulf of Nicoya. I then planned to follow the coastline and make my way northward. I used a national geographic road map, which was helpful, but did fall short
costa-rica-map1.jpg
of being completely accurate.

This was one of my first stops along the way to Putarenas. It was a restaurant that is called a Soda. They serve typical food which is usually cheap.
P1010120.jpg

After lunch,,on to the ferry,,,no waiting thanks to a guy that fast tracked me ahead of the line.
P1010127.jpg

After crossing over the gulf to Playa Naranjo,,I was on my way again. I made it down to Tambor where I stayed for the night.

P1010132.jpg

This was the beach near the hotel. It was very calm and a great place to anchor a sailboat. The town of Tambor had some tourists, but hardly nobody at the beach.

P1010134.jpg

Then I made my way north to Malpais. This is a shot of the beach area there. This is a small town popular with the surfers. It had some tourists, mostly a younger crowd it seemed. There were places to stay nearby and in town. I did not see any major resort type places, which I liked.

P1010137.jpg

I then made my way a little further north. I had to stop at this place which was a grove of palm trees near the beach. There were a few houses nearby, but not much else. The road I had followed was barely a trail. I required either a motorcyle or suv. My destination for the day will be the town/beach of Samara.

P1010141.jpg

I was told by Morten and Thorsten that I would encounter river crossings. I was told that if I was unsure of the depth, wait until a local crossed and then follow suit. Here I waited and waited until a Toyota Hilux approached from the other side. It stopped and promptly took a left turn and never crossed. I promptly turned around and headed back to find another route to Samara. I lost about an hour, and had to encounter two vicious dogs again.

P1010142.jpg

This crossing looked a little better. I still couldn't judge how deep, but went for it anyway.

P1010143.jpg

Oops,,,I accidentally loaded part two,,when I made it to the other side,,oh well,,you get the idea.

Good stuff! I hope to read more later. Packing now for San Antonio, Three Sisters, and hopefully Saltillo and Parras afterward.

Cheers,

Mike

I continued to head northward. I made it to San Francisco de Coyote and decided to stop for water and directions. This was a friendly little town, and I almost stayed here for the night. I glad I pressed on to Samara.

P1010147.jpg

This was the little store/soda where I stopped to ask for directions. The people were super friendly.

P1010148.jpg

Here was another store where I stopped and asked for directions. It was literally in the middle of nowhere. Again, the people were very helpful and nice. The guys were hamming it up for the picture for me. I can't remember exactly where this place was. It was before San Francisco de Coyote.

P1010131.jpg

I passed by a place called Playa Caletas that appeared on my map. This is what was there-----nothing. Maybe I was lost.

P1010146.jpg

So I finally made it to Samara kinda late. It was such a nice place I decided to to stay an extra night to be able to enjoy the beach and other amenities. Here is the place I stayed. I cost me about 32usd per night. It was clean, had AC, cable tv, an kitchen area,,but no hot water (not a big deal for me).
I ran into lots of canadians in the area. They come there to get away from winter.
P1010161.jpg

Back