• Welcome to the Two Wheeled Texans community! Feel free to hang out and lurk as long as you like. However, we would like to encourage you to register so that you can join the community and use the numerous features on the site. After registering, don't forget to post up an introduction!

Dual Sport Kits for 2020 WR450F

Reaction score
Hello, I am new to this site. I just purchased a 2020 Yamaha WR450F. I want to do the dual sport kit from Tusk but it says its for the YZF450 and their chat employee couldnt confirm if it would work on the WR. Tusk Motorcycle Enduro Lighting Kit with Handguard Turn Signals - 2020 YAMAHA YZ450FX is how it is listed from Rocky Mountain ATV. https://www.rockymountainatvmc.com/...ro-lighting-kit-with-handguard-turn-signals-p I am thinking it will certainly work but may need a few mods. Has anyone installed a Tusk dual sport kit to a late model WR450F? Any other recommendations?

My thought is that it will be more than you need as a WR450 already has a headlight and tail light.

Sicass also makes a good kit. You might check on them and compare pricing.

Nice bike! It depends on your intended purpose for the bike. My inclination for a bike that that would be bare bones street legal. Brake switch, horn, mirror, high/low switch for the lights. No turn signals are necessary for inspection. Not sure if the light and brake light on the WR are dual filament or not.

As far as the Tusk kit working--yes it probably will but as 2WN says, you already have lights.

I have no experience with the WR but everything I have purchased from Sicass has been top notch.

I too have used Sicass products on my 450 xcw. Good instructions easy to install and Super customer service.

Great suggestions. Sadly Sicass is out of stock of everything. Baja Designs no longer makes dual sport kits and Rocky Mountain ATV has nothing for the 2020 WR450. I have found mirrors, license plate holder and light for that but thats about it. Pieced together form Ebay and Amazon and all should arrive this week. Still nothing on brake light, horn, blinkers. Not even sure if the stock battery will be sufficient. I am pretty much mechanically illiterate :( I have seen some really nice ones on Youtube and everyone I ask bought them "already plated".

Response from SicAss -
sicassracing.com12:46 PM (5 hours ago)
Trent, As I mentioned in the first reply, we are currently out of stock on the kits for the 2020 WR's. They cannot currently be ordered.

You could buy just what you need from RMATV, instead of the kit.

I started converting a WR but never finished, sold the bike. I have completed a couple of XR400s, a KTM 250EXC that was missing the lights when I bought it, and a Yamaha TRR125L. Fun projects, I bought just what I needed, no kits.

There is a good thread on TWT about doing the paperwork. One thing I did learn, be prepared when you start that process, following and have copies of the section in the DMV manual that covers the conversion, be prepared to help them understand that section of the manual. And don't offer any extra information, what you say can be held against you. All to pay taxes and yearly registration on bikes that rarely get ridden on the street.

Is it worth it? It is to me. Nothing makes me feel more like a kid again than riding a plated dirt bike on the street with DOT knobbys to connect trails!

He started with a YZX.

Older model WR

Verify this on the DPS website for MC inspection criteria but IIRC, all you need is a headlight, tail light, horn, rear reflector, license plate light and a brake light that is acuated by both front and rear brake levers.

The bike already has headlight, tail light and rear brake light switched off the rear brake pedal.

You need a hydraulic switch for the front brake lever that ties into the rear switch circuit. You need a horn and a switch to use it. You need a license plate holder and light and a rear reflector (reflector license plate bolts work grear for this).

You should be able to find all of this on Amazon.

Hard part will be wiring it up. It's not super hard if you know how electrical works, if you don't, enlist the help of someone who does.

I'm in the DFW and can help if you are close.

Headlight must have a switchable hi/low beam. Pretty sure brake light is not specified for both front and rear levers. And you need at least one mirror.

Sent from my SM-A505U using Tapatalk

Headlight must have a switchable hi/low beam. Pretty sure brake light is not specified for both front and rear levers. And you need at least one mirror.

Hi / Low beam not required. Criteria just says one headlight and I have done 2 so far without a high beam. It also just says one brake light but the Inspector definitely checked both front and rear brake light application during my inspection. I probably could have argued but I prefer both switched anyway as it's pretty important for people to know when you are braking.

You are correct on the mirror, forgot that one.

Here is the link to the DPS site with the requirements....

I learned something today. According to the code it may be single beam.
82506DF3-5402-4D89-A409-26C947BD47FE.jpg

Hi / Low beam not required. Criteria just says one headlight and I have done 2 so far without a high beam...

Here is the link to the DPS site with the requirements....

Hi/low beam is required. Go to your link and view inspection criteria (not inspection items) for headlight. It specifies hi/low for motorcycles but not required for mopeds.

It say the headlight on a motor driven cycle or moped may be single beam.

So I guess a motor driven cycle is not a motorcycle. They do list it as a separate category.

I have always done hi/low but have only done rear brake for brake light.

Appears you are right, but I don't think it matters in practice. I just printed the list and had it in my pocket for reference. I got my inspection, so it seemed to work fine without a high beam.

Tires are supposed to be DOT as well and they also never seem to check those either in my experience.

For me, I'm not riding at night anyway and I'm 90% dirt on my plated dirt bike. I'm just trying to get a plate so I can go into town for gas and food or connect trails. I'm probably not actually meeting requirements, but as long as it passes and I get a plate, I don't really care.

It say the headlight on a motor driven cycle or moped may be single beam.

So I guess a motor driven cycle is not a motorcycle. They do list it as a separate category.

I have always done hi/low but have only done rear brake for brake light.
It's clarified in the general provisions.
1646ece289b3b55aa950f54425a07641.jpg

Verify this on the DPS website for MC inspection criteria but IIRC, all you need is a headlight, tail light, horn, rear reflector, license plate light and a brake light that is acuated by both front and rear brake levers.

The bike already has headlight, tail light and rear brake light switched off the rear brake pedal.

You need a hydraulic switch for the front brake lever that ties into the rear switch circuit. You need a horn and a switch to use it. You need a license plate holder and light and a rear reflector (reflector license plate bolts work grear for this).

You should be able to find all of this on Amazon.

Hard part will be wiring it up. It's not super hard if you know how electrical works, if you don't, enlist the help of someone who does.

I'm in the DFW and can help if you are close.
I have ordered mirrors, license plate holder and light for license plate. I am still trying to search out switches and anything else needed electrical. If I can nail down the correct parts I would happily trailer to DFW and hire you to do the install.

I have ordered mirrors, license plate holder and light for license plate. I am still trying to search out switches and anything else needed electrical. If I can nail down the correct parts I would happily trailer to DFW and hire you to do the install.
I used this for a switch...

Also need a 12v relay as you can't hook the horn directly through the switch as it draws too many amps.

Happy to help you out on the install. Not really looking to get paid for it so I'm cheap, but we also might need to work out a time after my real job in the evening or a weekend I'm not riding.

Pm me and we can figure it out.

Back