• Welcome to the Two Wheeled Texans community! Feel free to hang out and lurk as long as you like. However, we would like to encourage you to register so that you can join the community and use the numerous features on the site. After registering, don't forget to post up an introduction!

Ducati Hypermotard 698 Mono

Reaction score
Looks like Ducati will be chasing KTM supermotards with their new single cylinder bike:

-Hypermotard-Supermoto-169Gallery-89d86d01-2035346.jpg

Last edited:
The Hypermotard could be interesting. Hope to see something more like this, though...
1699039103521.png
Would you actually spend your own hard earned Ducati dollars ($$$$) on a supermono?

Way too many people out there that like to look at things but never buy them.

I'm not sure what Ducati plan to do with this engine long term to make their money back. Maybe Euro and Asian markets will buy it. A handful here. Does anyone buy 'tards any more?

Would you actually spend your own hard earned Ducati dollars ($$$$) on a supermono?

I'm not sure what Ducati plan to do with this engine long term to make their money back. Maybe Euro and Asian markets will buy it. A handful here. Does anyone buy 'tards any more?
I'm not in the market for an original Supermono, but if they did a modern street legal version, who knows? It doesn't exist, so it's hard to say.

Since you are also reading this thread, do you fall into the look, but don't buy category?

I haven't seen any recent 'tard sales data but can't fault their fun factor. I've never been a fan of dirt bike styling though, so a sexy modern Supermono would be more interesting to me than the Hypermotard Mono.

-Jeff

Last edited:
I'm not in the market for an original Supermono, but if they did a modern street legal version, who knows? It doesn't exist, so it's hard to say.

Since you are also reading this thread, do you fall into the look, but don't buy category?

I haven't seen any recent 'tard sales data but can't fault their fun factor. I've never been a fan of dirt bike styling though, so a modern Supermono would be more interesting to me than the Hypermotard Mono.

-Jeff
I fall into the category of "I'll look at the free adverts and reviews but have no interest in stepping into a dealership nor asking them to build something I know I'll never spend my money on."

I took a quick ride on someone's hypermotard when they first came out. He offered it up, I didn't ask. Hated every bit of it. It didn't feel like a street bike or a dirt bike. It was just odd. Plus there was something wrong with the foot controls and the exhaust that wasn't well thought out.

I do like the DRZ-400SM. So I also get the fun factor if it's designed right. But I just wonder how a single for street bike would work in the USA. I've ridden the small displacement single street bikes and they were just gutless. This one is not that. But I have to ask why this would be desirable over a parallel twin? A twin certainly wouldn't be so high strung.

Agree. The Hypermotard Mono spec that stood out to me, in addition to the HP and torque numbers, was the low curb weight.

-Jeff
I think there can be such a thing as "too light." When I was younger, I'd get blown off the road by a semi or large pickup sometimes on my Honda VT250F. Cross winds? Bike acted like a kite. But it's how I got around in high school and to work since I co-opped 1/2 of my school days. It was misery riding from Houston to Lubbock when I moved for work. Blown everywhere and felt every vibration.

On a track or in the mountains protected from the wind, I can see going for real light. Even around town at lower speeds, I'd want some mass to keep from being pushed around. I think there is an ideal weight for any bike. A good balance for bike sag and rider sag numbers. Too light and the bike's suspension also pushes the rest of th bike around instead of absorbing the bumps.

If I did not have one (an s/m), lived in Europe or in the city i’d probably buy one.
Here in States where you don’t have to be so mindful of the ever increasing, ridiculously low speed limits now being imposed all over Europe a “small” Ducati like that might not have a big market but, elsewhere its still a very viable option.

Last edited:
Will Ducati replace the air cooled 803 twin cylinder engine in the Scrambler with the new 698 single cylinder? They could tune that 698 for midrange instead of peak power. Didn't the original Scrambler (250/ 350/ 450) have a single cylinder in it?

It is interesting the amount of electronics on the 698. I watched a review by Chris at Bike World reviews. He rides it when it launched and then compares with the KTM. Interesting.

I think they should keep the twin and possibly offer a new bike with the single. Ducati and V's are just right. They need to build a new Super Mono with it as well.

Back