• Welcome to the Two Wheeled Texans community! Feel free to hang out and lurk as long as you like. However, we would like to encourage you to register so that you can join the community and use the numerous features on the site. After registering, don't forget to post up an introduction!

Dusty DS ride to Bedias Report

dbdolan

Inactive Member
Reaction score
First Name
Bryan
Last Name
Dolan
Hey guy's I had a good time even with the dust and the slooooow food service. I will post my pic's later.

mega ditto's. I've been caughing the dust out of my throat since I got home. Great to meet the gang, helps to put a face with a name. Until next time.

It was a great first ride on my new bike. It was nice meeting everyone and I will be waiting for the next one.

Now lets see some Pics!:clap:

Hi, All,

It was a big fun! Thank you for the coordination!

My air filter looked clean when I took it out, then soon I realized that it was just all white evenly!

It was nice to seeing you all. Hope I can contribute to you all sometime in the near future.

Ken

Here are my pic's, I am still recovering from the worst heartburn of my life. That BBQ sandwich tore me up:lol2:
As soon as I met up with everyone my clutch cable broke as we were starting the route. Thanks to Tourmeister who had a spare, we swapped it out and were able to catch up with the group. Here is a pic of us wrapping up the cable replacement by Montgomery High School then hauled butt and found some shortcuts that put us in front of the group.

DSridetoBedias10-7-06001.jpg

I just rolled over to 17,000 miles and I had a cable on order, bad timing.:doh:

DSridetoBedias10-7-06007.jpg

It was a dusty ride...

DSridetoBedias10-7-06006.jpg

But we had some nice scenery...

DSridetoBedias10-7-06011.jpg

Basebill running through the lignite fields

DSridetoBedias10-7-06005.jpg

Bedias10-7-06004.jpg

The Greasemonkey clan...

DSridetoBedias10-7-06009.jpg

DSridetoBedias10-7-06016.jpg

(From left to right) TA2240, Hoop, Travis, and Tourmeister.

DSridetoBedias10-7-06015.jpg

Greasemonkey(Scott) and his new BRP:rider:

DSridetoBedias10-7-06019.jpg

Over the shoulder snapshot of Hoop(Ray)

DSridetoBedias10-7-06017.jpg

Did I mention it was dusty in the back....Here is a shot of Texas DR. I thought he was a doctor but I found out he is a doctor of the Suzuki DR:lol2:

DSridetoBedias20.jpg

Hoop(Ray) came all the way from Beaumont to ride in the dust bowl...Notice the Mustang cemetery behind him, I have been there before and there are some really cool old graves over there.

DSridetoBedias10-7-06021.jpg

Here we all are after cutting through the jeep trail and running through some mud holes, I lost it in one but there are no pic's:lol2:

DSridetoBedias10-7-06022.jpg

Thanks for having me I had a blast :zen:

:tab The crusty dusty boogs will be coming out for days... :brainsnap That was pretty brutal. Was a fun ride though, especially when Dbdolan and I had to catch the group after his clutch cable snapped :twisted: I think we need to rework the route though so that we are in Shiro for lunch. That place in Bedias is beyond SLOW!!

:tab Had a blast and it was great meeting the new folks!

dbdolan said:
Here we all are after cutting through the jeep trail and running through some mud holes, I lost it in one but there are no pic's:lol2:

I knew there was a reason why I don't do mud. So, now I don't feel so bad about losing it in that road head that was three feet deep of gravel (Ok, two feet deep) When I got home Mark says "You need to learn how to put your foot down and power out when your back wheel starts sliding like that" Sigh, wishing for two more inches on leg length.

Oh well, since there is no picture, it never happened - here is a pic of when all the bikes were still clean in the Brookshire Bros parking lot:

Oct07group.jpg

Bryan's pictures don't even begin to tell how dusty it was, there was what seemed to be a constant flow of pickups coming toward us and after every one, you couldn't see but five feet in front of you until the wind cleared it. They were blowing up tons more dust than the bikes alone.

This looks like ScottG, but I can't be sure, coming back to tell us Bryans bike is broke:

Oct07hoop.jpg

I wound up deviating (definition: turned the wrong way) from the gps and rode down 2620 which turned out to be a really nice road and there was no traffic at all, to Hoke Road to Poole Road which I think took me straight to 149. (funny, I can't find Poole on the maps on local live, maybe it doesn't really exist)

Looks like you had a great ride.

I noticed on a ride report from another site, that someone referred to recently, that the riders were wearing some of those light dust masks to deal with the dust. I am going to get some at the plant to try out. The kind with the exhaust valve will not tend to for up your goggles or glasses like the plain kind.

In southeast Texas, or anywhere near heavy industrial facilities, we may need to consider what we are ingesting when we breath the dust. Many of the old roads were oiled or sprinkled with discarded liquids, most containing suspended solids with questionable health effects, from industrial sources before EPA started keeping close track of disposals. It's a bit scary to think of what may be out there!

I discussed those dusk masks last night with my wife.
I had so much sinus pressure from the dust I was sucking warm water up my nose, MAN THAT STINGS!:giveup:

I can only imagine how much dust the guys got with the M/X helmets. My full face cut down on some and I still hurt.

Somebody come up with something that works.

Back in town and sounds like everyone made it home.Had fun and enjoyed meeting some new folks.Even got to ride with some guys I haven't in a while.Tim,want to say thanks for keeping this together.What,no pictures of the drag race?

Scott,

As per your request.
One of the tame D/S riding scene...
drug.jpg

Other photos

Gathering in the morning at supermarket parking lot
start.jpg

Typical scenery of where we rode...
road.jpg

stop.jpg

map.jpg

I really liked the jeep road...
jeep.jpg

Cool deal,that was fun.Nice to know we have some pretty good photographers in our midst.

Good photo's Ken, can't you photo shop some hair on my head. My hair is getting long ...time for a hair cut.:lol2: It was nice to meet all of you guy's and Gal's. I am glad you made it back home Georgia, seeing how we were in the middle of nowhere.

We did Hoke and Poole Rds as well ;-) I bet we just missed you! The Mud road is right off of Pool/Hoke but does not show up on many maps. My maps show it as a county road but I am pretty sure the county no longer maintains it :dude:

Tourmeister said:
We did Hoke and Poole Rds as well ;-) I bet we just missed you! The Mud road is right off of Pool/Hoke but does not show up on many maps. My maps show it as a county road but I am pretty sure the county no longer maintains it :dude:

Is the mud road is to the left where Hoke and Pool meet? I took a right which led me West to 149.

Hey Bryan, you don't have to worry about me finding my way home, I keep the garmin off until I need it, then just can NAV home without worrying about battery running out. I'm starting to know the major roads out that way, but am still somewhat directionally challenged. If anything ever happened, I always have my cell and two major towing service memberships.

I'm serously considering this will be the last season for the DR-Z. I really like riding the bike, but it is still a bit tall for me which wanes my confidence. Mark has joined us up at Outlaw Trax and I would be happier with a smaller dirt bike to use up there, like a 150 CRF. It would make loading and unloading a lot easier too.

Georgia, we could always break your legs, attach those external fixators that get lengthened a few mm each day, and have you good to go by next Spring :-P

Georgiapeach said:
Mark has joined us up at Outlaw Trax and I would be happier with a smaller dirt bike to use up there, like a 150 CRF. It would make loading and unloading a lot easier too.

Let us know the next time you head out that way. We try to ride out there as much as possible and hope to be doing it a little more often over the next month or so.

I know where there is a nice big wheel TTR 125 for sale. Let me correct that, I think it's a big wheel.

Back