• Welcome to the Two Wheeled Texans community! Feel free to hang out and lurk as long as you like. However, we would like to encourage you to register so that you can join the community and use the numerous features on the site. After registering, don't forget to post up an introduction!

ETM&G Athens Postgame Show

Reaction score
A great turn-out tonight in spite of several "regulars" having other commitments. Dutchinterceptor & I met up in Flint and ran down several nice FM roads covering 60 miles before stopping in Frankston to meet Hairsmith. Due to some impeccable timing we all pulled up within 60 seconds of each other and took the opportunity to slam some liquids - it was "ssssssssmoking" as someone else pointed out.

Leaving Frankston we headed south and west for a ways and showed off some of the nicer curves along 837.... one u-turn later found us on a county road cut-thru with enough bumps, humps, jumps, and gravel to give Hairsmith his dirt fix. While Dutch and I (lead and sweep) are pointing out and avoiding gravelly spots in the road.... Hairsmith is AIMING for them :eek2: .... sick sick folk these are (worse than those who clean their bikes, trust me :trust: )

Back on "solid" pavement we roared into Athens a little early and Dutch graciously gave us the nickel tour including Lake Athens, Texas Freshwater Hatchery, downtown Athens, and finally onto the Bean & Burger.

Mitch (Texasred) was waiting on us and it looked like maybe we'd have six show up. Then bikes began to show by ones & twos - soon we had a sizable group (14?) and headed in out of the heat. It should be noted that our distinguished Terrebandit drove all the way from San Angelo just to join us.... a true road warrior even if it was in the cage. :thpt:

The food was..... shall we say - plentiful. :eat: Huge portions complete with all the trimmings and ice cream for desert (for those who didn't quite get enough) Several photographers were in attendance so expect some pics soon.

Wrapping things up with a little after dinner bike-gawking capped off a nice get together and folks literally headed off in every direction... north, south, east & west. Thanks to all who braved the heat and hope everyone made it back safely. :rider:

Very well said Jay!! Good to see all the new faces also!!

th_ETMG008.jpg
Hooligans!!!
th_ETMG007.jpg
The rest of the crew!! Enjoyed meeting y'all!!
th_ETMG005-1.jpg
Wonder what Hairsmith just said??
th_ETMG002.jpg
Watching you eat gives me a headache!!:lol2:
th_ETMG001-1.jpg
Would you stop eating and listen to me!!!:rofl:

One back safe - a smidge over 200 miles for the trip. Last saw Kevin heading north on SH360.

Woo hoo! :thumb: the US287 bypass around Midlothian is OPEN! :thumb:
Excellent, no slogging through beautiful downtown! Hurray!

I have 14 on my list, will post later after I cool down a bit. Ride home was much cooler than the ride out...

Interesting that most folks had to travel a bit to get here & many of the distances were in the same ballpark - about 70-90 miles.

David (ddavis), Greenville, a familiar looking BMW R1150GS
Lee (wildebube), Wills Point, BMW F650 gas mizer
Alan (Eulogite) and Debbie, Cumby, Zuk DL1000 (his) and Kawi EX250 (hers)
Mitch (texasred), Tyler, puuurdy new red Yamaha FZ1
Tom (Hairsmith), Nacogdoches, scary BMW R1150GS
Jay (txbanditrydr), Tyler, uh...um...er... Suzuki Bandit 1200S (immaculate)
Dutch (dutchinterceptor, sometimes known as "Mike"), Tyler, Honda VFR
Kevin (gowest1), Grand Prairie, Yamaha Road Star
Bill (pub610) 2-up with Jessica (ninjette), Kilgore, Kawasaki Concours
Howard (hetkind), Canton, BMW (not sure of model)
Catfish Dave (terrebandit), Whitehouse, mad dash from San Angelo
Chuck (Gilk51), Arlington, Suzuki DL650

count: people = 14, bikes = 12, cages = 1

MIA: Skip Honeycutt, MCRyder, JuniorBiker500, RapidRobert, and others

pichers pending...

Oh, yeah, several flavors of TWT T-shirts were modeled by various riders... :thumb:

Last edited:
I was really great to meet everyone last nite. There is no better fix than a midweek gathering of deranged TWT riders.

See ya soon!

We enjoyed it and look forward to the next opportunity.

We only saw one deer on the wrong side of the fences on the way home.

I had a good ride up and back.
Great to see every one again, and meet the new ones. I hope that y'all can join us again.
What a great collection of bikes. From cruisers to sport bikes, and a nice representation of beemers in between. I enjoyed seeing a airhead out getting exercise.
I am looking forward to next month already! Even if it is over a two and a half hour ride each way for me. We may have to change the name of this, Canton is not in EAST TEXAS! There are not even any pine trees there!:rofl: :rofl:

The new faces terrific, we hope to see all you guys again in Canton. It's nice, too, that we can almost count Chuck as a regular.

"I enjoyed seeing a airhead out getting exercise." Airhead? Geez, Tom, which one of us are you insulting?

pub610 said:
"I enjoyed seeing a airhead out getting exercise." Airhead? Geez, Tom, which one of us are you insulting?

Sorry Bill, no offense....:giveup: BMW lingo, you would not understand:trust: :lol2:

I believe it was a 1987 R80RS hybrid. He had so many stories and descriptions of all those, it was hard to keep strait.:huh:

I enjoyed meeting everyone and I will try to make Canton. Pine trees or no.

ddavis said:
I believe it was a 1987 R80RS hybrid. He had so many stories and descriptions of all those, it was hard to keep strait.:huh:

David great meeting you. I will be sure and let Scott know tomorrow at the gathering that the GS is in great hands, looking good and was rubber side down in your hands. :clap: :rofl: :rofl:

One semi-amusing aspect of the evening was Ninjette's Ninja story - everyone wanted to know what the bike status was but not everyone was there at once.... so she patiently told and re-told and told again the continuing saga. Should have printed a bunch of fliers.

No - I won't spoil it here - you'll just have to ask her yourself. :rofl: :rofl:

ddavis said:

That would be my wonderful Howard's Beemer, I do believe! And he's sure got LOTS of stories to tell :scott: . Sorry I couldn't get there...work got in the way. But you can bank on seeing me around more soon.

(Oh, and by the way, he was riding what was originally an R80RT. It became the prototype bike for what is now a patented process: the Howard Etkind Rapid Fairing Removal Technique. Step one of said process involves a Ford Bronco... :lol2: )

now what is an airhead?

well an aircooled BMW flat twin made between 1970 with the R60/5 and the R75/5 for the US market, until the last R80GS basic in 1996 used up all the remaining parts

or the person that rides such a bike

or a member of the Airhead Beemers Club, my ABC number is 6424 and we have issued about 9,000 numbers so far.

Like the National Guard, we are a national organization, with each state operating by itself with an appointed Air Marshall, with the Texas Air Marshall of Mike Moon (one of the BEST road captians I have EVER ridden with), John Wood in Oklahoma and Kent Christensen in New Mexico.

When next February 7th comes along, I will have 20 years experience with BMW airheads and own two. The 87 R80 I was riding last night and a rare, very clean 83 R80ST I bought from the original owner in 2001. My airheads have been from Maine to Florida, Montana to New Mexico and I am still waiting for my first breakdown requiring a ride home.

Now before I started with BMW, I ran Yamaha and one HD, a 68 XLCH Sporster...I still think BMW can give the bikes away and make up for it in service costs...

Attachments

• windshieldsm2.jpg
    windshieldsm2.jpg
    41.2 KB · Views: 169
txbanditrydr said:
Pssst.... Chuck..... W.A.T.P.A :huh:
:thpt:

Been working on a $%#@&*% Beemer all day - just got home.
Will get on that post haste! :mrgreen:

Gilk51 said:
Been working on a $%#@&*% Beemer all day - just got home.
Will get on that post haste! :mrgreen:

See Chuck, you post pics so quickly after events and keep such detailed notes that people start to expect it.

I stay lazy; show up late, miscalculate timing and mileage... And every time a ride goes smoothly they all think they got special treatment! :trust:

txbanditrydr said:
Just funnin' with 'cha.... when you get a chance I know you will. :thumb:
Yep, I kno dat.

This is the place - off east SH31 in Athens:
sign_0804q.jpg

Collection of bikes before everyone arrived
bikes_0792h.jpg

Inside, at the dinner table.

Catfish Dave (terrebandit) with weapon of choice
dave_0793q.jpg

Jay (txbanditrydr), Mike (dutchinterceptor), and Mitch (texasred) chow down
table_0794q.jpg

Bill (pub610) 'splains a topic while Jessica (ninjette) and Tom (Hairsmith) listen
table_0795q.jpg

Some of the "north side" group: Lee (wildebube) , Alan (Eulogite), and Debbie (witness protection program)
table_0796q.jpg

Lee (wildebube) makes a point while Kevin (gowest1) listens intently
Looks like Howard (hetkind) has David's (ddavis) attention, too
table_0797q.jpg

Howard and David
table_0800q.jpg

Mitch and Lee have both ends of the table covered
table_0801q.jpg

- outside afterwards with the bikes (Kevin's favorite time) -

Debbie's Ninja all alone (but still loved)
ninja_0802q.jpg

Sun has set on the parking lot
afterdinner_0803q.jpg

Jessica (right) was happy to have Debbie join her at an ET M&G
gals_0805q.jpg

Mitch's snazzy FZ1
fz1_0806q.jpg

Howard's Beemer
beemer_0807q.jpg

Dutch and his VFR
dutch_0808q.jpg

David's GS
gs_0809q.jpg

Howard and Dutch look at Lee's F650
f650_0810q.jpg

Mitch ponders the back view of his FZ1
mitch_0811q.jpg

Kevin discusses the finer points with Howard
discuss_0812q.jpg

Even if you have to ride 100 miles or more on a Thursday night once a month, this is a great group to meet up with. My only regret was not getting the smaller burger... :roll:

Oh, by the way, the next M&G in August is in Lindale, not Canton (that one is in October). Nac is in November! :thumb:

official list here...

Last edited:
Back