• Welcome to the Two Wheeled Texans community! Feel free to hang out and lurk as long as you like. However, we would like to encourage you to register so that you can join the community and use the numerous features on the site. After registering, don't forget to post up an introduction!

FOUND: 100-250cc Dirt Bike, CHEAP

Reaction score
First Name
Paul
Last Name
Zuniga
Like the thread title says, I'm looking to buy a CHEAP dirt bike.

NOT a mini-bike! It's got to have full-size wheels 16" minimum, 18" preferred.

It can be an on/off road type bike.

Minimum 100cc, maximum 250cc (but would consider slightly bigger)

Prefer 4-stroke, but will consider a good 2-smoker

Must be RUNNING! The second-to-the-LAST thing I need is MORE WORK.

Title not important, but preferred.

My 13-year-old is 6'2", 240# and W-A-Y too big for the KX60 and MB5 that he's riding, but they have brought him up to the point that he can kickstart properly, launch properly, shift up and down thru the range properly, and stop without stalling the bike. He's ready to move up to a full-size bike, but I DON'T want him on any of mine, because he is too much like me at that age, and I'd have KILLED myself on something bigger than a 250.

I have less than a grand to spend. Willing to partially trade mechanical work, I do A/C, electrical & plumbing but have no license for any of those. I can work on most any bike or car, but don't do modern electronics or EFI.

Help a brother out...

Hmm... I was just thinking about whether I should find a good home for my GS500 which I never use. But it's the right fit for your boy in 3 years when he's ready to get his driver's license and put something on the road. And it's not a dirt bike of course.

Here is an idea off Facebook,

Yeah that looks kinda perfect.

Problem is that @grandpaul 's son might be only 13 but he's a proper full adult sized male. That <20rwhp engine is going to be pretty anemic with a man-boy on it, and the braking is going to be terrifying at anything above jogging pace. I guess if he's just riding it around the ranch and not on the road and you put a tiny front sprocket on it, it could be ok. Price is right, that's for sure.

Problem is that @grandpaul 's son might be only 13 but he's a proper full adult sized male. That <20rwhp engine is going to be pretty anemic with a man-boy on it, and the braking is going to be terrifying at anything above jogging pace. I guess if he's just riding it around the ranch and not on the road and you put a tiny front sprocket on it, it could be ok. Price is right, that's for sure.
20HP is about 15HP more than enough to get him in trouble!

It will be only on the ranch.

Problem is that @grandpaul 's son might be only 13 but he's a proper full adult sized male. That <20rwhp engine is going to be pretty anemic

This little thing is more than he needs as far as top end... It's just so tiny, and he's so...

nik11.jpg

With a little TLC, that lil' Kawasaki mentioned above would be perfect. Great intermediate bike for a newer rider. Just make sure he assists with the wrenching; no better way to learn about your bike, eh?

OK, my friend Seth in Kerrville had this '04 XR250R (street legal) that I couldn't pass up, under $2K!

IMG_1144.jpg

It does have some issues, but inexpensive fixit bits are winging their way over at this very minute!

It even included a new set of tires, extra fenders, the stock pipe, and a nice D-slide carb (that needs a proper single cable).

I picked one up for my son not too long ago. He is 6'2 and it is a MUCH better fit than the CRF150F he was riding, LOL. Congratulations on finding a great bike.

Back