• Welcome to the Two Wheeled Texans community! Feel free to hang out and lurk as long as you like. However, we would like to encourage you to register so that you can join the community and use the numerous features on the site. After registering, don't forget to post up an introduction!

Garmin 276C

dirtryder

Forum Supporter
Reaction score
I have four of these. Best price you will ever find on a 276C. $200 plus shipping

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Last edited:
994a2f2bec1641732de1cb2d13f86e6b.jpg

Do they all work?

These are highly sought after. I had one and loved it. I like the buttons versus the touch screen of the newer models. I was just talking with someone about them not long ago and he mentioned wanting extras, but for the life of me I can't remember who it was now :doh: If it comes to me at 4:00am in my dreams, I'll try to remember and let you know ;-)

:tab In my fantasies, Garmin would take the best features of this unit and combine them with the best features of the Montana 600.

:tab The track feature on these units work REALLY well. I could leave my track record mode on for an entire week of riding and it would capture every last bit of it if I forgot to save and clear it at the end of each day. The 600 randomly saves the track throughout the day. This creates multiple files named by date/time that I then have to cut/paste together to get the tracks for each day. It is also bad about missing portions of the tracks and then just connecting the ends between the missing portion with a long straight line.

:tab Touchscreen is great for SOME things. It is absolutely horrible for when you are trying to move the map around or select a road/feature on the map, especially if you are wearing your gloves. I LOVED having that rocker button for moving the cursor around on the map and selecting/highlighting stuff. It works MUCH MUCH better. I only wish they had put the buttons on the left side of the unit instead of the right side. That way, when on the bike, it would be easier to use left handed while you keep your right hand on the bars, whether moving or stopped. There were often times when I did not want to release the front brake while stopped so that I could work the buttons right handed.

:tab Satellite reception is much better on the 600. Also, you don't have that antenna to mess with. They could break, or get loose and flop around. However, the benefit of the antenna on the 276 is that it can be removed and you can add a better external antenna.

:tab The battery on the 276 lasted a long time if you were not powering it from the bike. One thing I really liked about the 276 was that the power came from a chord on the bike rather than from the mount itself. This was nice because I could remove the 276 mount and replace it with the 60CX mount if needed. With my Montana 600, the mount itself is wired to the bike, so I can't just remove it and put a different mount on the RAM ball. I have to move it out of the way and strap it to something to keep it from flopping around. I usually carry the 60CX as a backup in case the 600 fails or is damaged. I started doing this after I killed a 60CS by flipping the bike on top of it :doh: I did have issues with the 276 battery losing contact when it vibrated. But that was only an issue if it was not being powered from the bike. I'm not aware of a "fix" for that. The 600 has the same problem, but I placed ear plugs between the inside of the battery cover and the battery and that solved the problem. You can't do that with the 276.

:tab Mark of Big Dog Adventures collected 276's. We talked about them the last time I ran into him out in the middle of the Smoky Mountains a few years back. He had a stockpile of spares he bought off of E-Bay. Looking at his recent photos though, it looks like he may have finally moved to the newer units.

Although they are a marine rated gps, would recommend not getting them wet. I lost mine when it was left in the rain. Lesson learned.

:tab In my fantasies, Garmin would take the best features of this unit and combine them with the best features of the Montana 600.

And price it less than a full featured laptop computer ~$200-$300
GPS prices are unreasonably crazy high. Garmin has spawned the OSM/freeware movement and eventually their market will be dead.

Having said that I do like the manual buttons on this model. My cell phone touchscreen works good under most extreme conditions i.e. dirt, dust, vibration, even rain, etc. But torrential downpours will create havoc if trying to make touch adjustments. Displaying during downpour no issue if screen not touched though. The best cell phones are more rugged nowadays than the best gps's.

_

Someone told me that the 276C was such a good GPS that they were going to start making it again. Don't know if this is true though.

Still have one available? Very interested. Do the batteries hold a charge? Any idea what year the maps were updated/can you update the maps on them still? Come with any accessories?

:tab I checked with Mark at Big Dog Adventures and this is the model he now uses. He still has 4 or 5 of the older 276 CS models like the ones for sale in this thread, but he uses the new CX model now and loves it. They aren't cheap though!! You could buy all four of the CS models in this thread for the price of a new CX!

:tab I used my 276 CS in all manner of weather, good and bad, including a few dunkings in creeks. I never had any problems related to water.

It comes with the older maps on a CD. I'm just selling one the other three or not for sale.

I have two of the 665, one 550 and four of these I'm GPS poor.

Back