• Welcome to the Two Wheeled Texans community! Feel free to hang out and lurk as long as you like. However, we would like to encourage you to register so that you can join the community and use the numerous features on the site. After registering, don't forget to post up an introduction!

Hello from someone that doesn't even have a license YET

Reaction score
Hi everyone,
Writing from Dripping Springs, near Austin and YEP I don't have a motorcycle license, YET, but I'm planning to have it by the end of the year, probably as soon summer is over.
Then I will buy a VStrom 650 or a CB500X, get experience on it and start to plan a trip from TX all the way up to Alaska.
That is a dream that I have been holding for more than 10 years, probably even 15 years. Not it is time, I need to move on otherwise I will be too old. :rider:

That's a big trip for a new rider. But it can be done. My current big goal is to ride to the top of Pikes Peak. I hope to start making real plans for that soon. Of course going that far you want to ad in a lot of stuff so it's going to be a big ride.

That's a big trip for a new rider. But it can be done. My current big goal is to ride to the top of Pikes Peak. I hope to start making real plans for that soon. Of course going that far you want to ad in a lot of stuff so it's going to be a big ride.
For sure, my guess is that it will take me at least 2 years to prepare myself; riding skills, gears as to planning the trip route etc...

Welcome!

Having a big adventure to plan for and anticipate adds spice to life - and keeps ya young in spirit if not in body.

Welcome to the forum, a good place to ask questions and learn. And, one day, you'll be posting up pix and stories from your own adventures.

I rode may years ago, then got back into it. A ride to town seemed so far, then my first all day ride for 150 miles seemed so far. Then a weekend trip seemed so far. 2 years ago I got a sudden notice to take off some time or loose it so I said see ya and a week later had 1700 miles done covering parts of Rt 66. All by myself. There was the all by your self far away nerves but I made it and it was so worth it. Just take it one day, one tank full, one town at a time. Then before you know it your done. I've done one overnight camp trip off the bike. It was great. That was the beginning to prepare for a trip where I have several overnight camp trips off the bike, to cut down on trip cost, and to just be out somewhere away, with nothing and nobody around. Maybe along side a lake or river.

When we were in Alaska last year, I really got the itch to do a ride down the Kenai Peninsula.

I have no interest in 8+ hours in the saddle every day, or carrying camping and support equipment apart from clothes. I have several fun sounding trips in mind with 4-5 hours of riding each day and cool destinations. But Alaska ... dude there's several days of riding just across Canada until you get to Alaska once you leave the US. My wife and I considered a driving trip to Alaska and there's a whole country in the way that kind of ruled it out for us.

I need to move on otherwise I will be too old. :rider:
Welcome to the forum

You are only too old if you say you are.

People do a double take when I get off my Hayabusa and take my helmet off. The look on their faces is that an old guy like me shouldn't have a bike like that. I tell them you grow old when you stop riding.

It's been done many times and with planning and determination, can be done again. I would take a different way back then what I went to cover more states and places.
DS to AL.png

LOL a lot of miles and that is probably the shortest route.

Yeah, it isn't obvious on the map, but over half of the mileage from Austin to Fairbanks is through Canada. I'm sure it's a beautiful ride, but once you get north of Colorado, it will be outrageously remote. Even to a Texan who has driven to California, Florida and Montana from TX.

Welcome to the forums. The journey building up the skills to take on such a trip is a pleasurable one. Enjoy it.

Welcome! As someone that has been up there (Alaska) on the bike, I say go for it! It isn't a difficult trip, just a LONG trip. However long you plan to take to do it, it isn't long enough!

Good luck with the license and you picked two pretty darn good options for your first bike. :thumb:

Hi everyone,
Writing from Dripping Springs, near Austin and YEP I don't have a motorcycle license, YET, but I'm planning to have it by the end of the year, probably as soon summer is over.
Then I will buy a VStrom 650 or a CB500X, get experience on it and start to plan a trip from TX all the way up to Alaska.
That is a dream that I have been holding for more than 10 years, probably even 15 years. Not it is time, I need to move on otherwise I will be too old. :rider:
The Vstrom 650 is a great bike to ride to Alaska and back.

When we were in Alaska last year, I really got the itch to do a ride down the Kenai Peninsula.

I have no interest in 8+ hours in the saddle every day, or carrying camping and support equipment apart from clothes. I have several fun sounding trips in mind with 4-5 hours of riding each day and cool destinations. But Alaska ... dude there's several days of riding just across Canada until you get to Alaska once you leave the US. My wife and I considered a driving trip to Alaska and there's a whole country in the way that kind of ruled it out for us.

The Kenai peninsula is beautiful. I flew in to visit a friend one winter and we rode his snow machines around there.

Hi everyone,
V-Strom is a great choice for highway and gravel. I had a 2012, which was the first year of their Gen 2 design. Almost any year of V-Strom should be great. I heard one CB500X owner say it was a little anemic on the highways, so I think I would not go anything below a 650 for the highway miles that I suspect you will be doing.

Another consideration would be cruise control, windscreen, a great seat, and a quiet helmet. Your wrist will get tired and throttle locks are only good for a few minutes. The wind will wear you out. The helmet noise will get old.

Have a great trip. This is quite a goal. Plan some smaller trips to make sure you have what you need and (most importantly) what you don't need.

Back