• Welcome to the Two Wheeled Texans community! Feel free to hang out and lurk as long as you like. However, we would like to encourage you to register so that you can join the community and use the numerous features on the site. After registering, don't forget to post up an introduction!

Home again, a ride report. (picture intense)

cwadej

Reaction score
After much planning and a setback, we finally got to take our trip.

Amanda and I had been planning it since May of last year. Our first issue was how to take a family motorcycle trip with two bike. A sidecar of course! So we spent the better part of our time in the desert looking for just the right one. She had been wanting a sport bike, and now a sidecar. We compromised:
BlvjHDQmkKGrHqMH-DsEtsiPfjBLc2juejF.jpg

Our trusted steeds.
IMG_0521.jpg

June 27th after church we were all loaded up and headed out.
IMG95524902.jpg

We had no place to be,not even sure which way to go. It was great!

First stop was Queen Wilhemina State Park. Which meant we got to ride hwy 1! I love this road.
IMG_0060.jpg

IMG_0037.jpg

The photographer didnt get any while at the park.
From there we went north to Eureka Springs. It just so happens that sidecars on unmodified bikes handle wierd. And turning is a chore.
Ditch1.jpg

luckily it was a super low speed adventure with a nicely placed ditch there to catch her. I rode it out with ease.

We got to the great little town I just had to introduce my family to.
IMG_0073.jpg

IMG_0066.jpg

They liked the many springs best.
IMG_0112.jpg

From there we headed north then east, ending up in Poplar Bluff, MO.
IMG_0117.jpg

We thought Memphis would be nice, but decided to get a few more states under our belts, so we did:
IMG_0143.jpg

IMG_0152.jpg

IMG_0156.jpg

Memphis was nice. We spent a down day there. Played on Mud Island
IMG_0251.jpg

ate some BBQ, saw some sites
IMG_0188.jpg

IMG_0215.jpg

and of course walked down Beale Street.

Little Rock was next for us. We of course took the long way there.
IMG_0340.jpg

Spent the 4th there..
IMG_0428.jpg

IMG_0439.jpg

Monday we were off to the Crater of Diamonds State Park.
This is how two of my girls "dug" for their treasures
IMG_0473.jpg

While the other used the bucket properly
IMG_0480.jpg

Sadly nothing was found.

Tuesday found us heading home.
IMG_0527.jpg

IMG_0522.jpg

Ten days gone, 38 hours, 6 minutes riding clocking up 1,970.8 miles.

More fun than I'e had in a very long time.

Two years we go to DC for the 4th!

Thanks for sharing the ride. Glad y'all made it back to enjoy the family time on the bikes.

Looks like a great trip with a beautiful family. Your a blessed man!

Perhaps i should already know this, but what type of side car is that?

The hack is a Vetter Terreplane. I had to reverse the picture to get the state the right way. No welcome sign due to construction, and I wanted the pic. Unless of course you believe when I say my kickstand is on the right side :trust:

I figured you were on the back side of the sign and needed to get the state turned right.

I see a couple of bikes, I see a multiple family photos at the different state signs. I don't see family, motorcycles and states in the same picture. Are you trying to pull a fast one on those of us living vicariously through you?? ;-) Shouldn't there be pics of everyone on the bikes and in the sidecar, motoring down the way?

:duck:

:rider:

Less-see - 4 females + Chris...

I don't see a trailer - did you have a chase vehicle with all of the gal's luggage or did you just ship stuff ahead? :eek2:

:thumb:

Any resolution on the sidecar rig steering issue?
(I have toyed with trying to design a hinged attachment - like your parallelogram idea - to get the bike to lean but the hack to stay level :ponder: )

A great family trip with memories that will last a long, long time, and plenty stories to tell friends back home. We're sure glad there were no injuries with the run-in with the ditch. Only one of our rigs, the double-wide touring rig, has modified steering, and it's much, much less tiring as the day(s) goes on, especially with a passenger in the sidecar.

Please put the October 15-17, 2010 Caddo Lake sidecar gathering in your plans.

We'll mark it on our calendar! Amanda's excited about a "meeting of the hacks", as she put it.

Awesome family adventure.

We just got back from Arkansas on July 4th. I would have to say to anyone interested in visiting Crater of Diamonds, save your money unless this is something you really have to cross off your bucket list. It was HOT and like you said, hard to find anything, the soil was a hard as a rock even though it looked plowed. Although the park is actively removating their camping areas, there is not much to do in Murfreesboro.

The next time we go, it will be to the Crystal Mines around Mt.Ida/Hot Springs...but not in Summer.

I'm with Gilk51 on this one, where is the 18 wheeler that had to haul all the womens clothes :rofl: Cool you got to take the whole family on a bike trip. :clap:

This is awesome. Great photos and you guys have given those kids memories of a lifetime.

Ride safe,

Cheers,
Pete

Back