• Welcome to the Two Wheeled Texans community! Feel free to hang out and lurk as long as you like. However, we would like to encourage you to register so that you can join the community and use the numerous features on the site. After registering, don't forget to post up an introduction!

Just got a new Helmet! Shark RSI review

Reaction score
P1050534.jpg

I just bought this Shark RSI helmet, finally buying a new lid to replace my Suomy Spec 1. I initially heard of Shark from a friend who has one and loves his (he has a Shark RSX). I did a little research into the company and found they had a good reputation and had been producing helmets for almost 30 years. All this seemed fine and normal for a good manufacturer, the one thing that really stood out was that they produced the entire helmet themselves. I like this because I didn't want a helmet that was just re-branded. I also found out it is the number one selling European helmet brand and only recently got into the U.S. Market (which would explain why I knew very little about them to begin with). I ended up deciding to go with RSI, I liked the Shark brand, and I liked the styling so I bought the helmet. I went to Sum of All Parts a reputable online retailer that was running a special on the Shark RSI and ordered it.

P1050537.jpg

When I received the RSI I immediately inspected it and made sure there was no shipping damage, and of course it was fine. My first impression was the size of the vents on the top and bottom of the visor, they had huge inlets shaped around them, not sure if they're actually bigger or just appear that way. The Shark also had vents inside the liner which I've never seen on a helmet before. Ventilation is very important to me since we live in Texas where the summers can be brutal on a motorcycle and air getting through the helmet is a must. I also really liked the quick release for the visor, my Suomy is terrible and the last Shoei I had wasn't much better.

P1050536.jpg

I put the helmet on and it felt great, perfect pressure around my cheeks and not too much on my forehead. I wear an XL Suomy so I bought an XL in the Shark, even though I had heard they run a bit small. So it felt good and looked great, time to take a ride.

First impression is the SRI is much more quiet than my Suomy, I don't usually wear earplugs (I know, I know) but I don't. While the vents looked much bigger on the Shark I didn't really notice additional air through the helmet, but I didn't have an ventilation problems (fogging up the visor or just getting too hot). I suppose helmet vents are one of those things that you only really notice when they're not working. The visor on the Shark was much less flimsy than my Suomy, I'm not sure if the material is stronger, the mounts are better, or if my old helmet was just worn out. Either way the SRI visor action was much smoother and easier. My riding experience with the SRI was very positive and I think the only real complains I have are aesthetic really. Nest one will probably just be a racer replica like the Guintoli.

Things I liked about the Shark RSI helmet:

* Well ventilated and no issues with fogging
* At 1500g it's lighter than almost every other helmet
* Micro-fleece liner, and chin strap make it very comfy
* Carbon composite shell design makes sure it does it's main job
* Quick release visor so I can switch from clear to smoke quickly
* Price, I saved about $300 from Sum of All Parts sale

Things I didn't like about the Shark RSI helmet:

* Holograph stickers on the side didn't do it for me
* Visor latch is a bit small and I missed a couple times

Overall I rate the Shark RSI 9 out of 10. It surpassed my expectations and while I only have about 100 miles on it right now I know it will continue to perform. As time goes on I'll try and update this post, certainly if I notice any problems from use or age, if not you know I'm out enjoying it.

I am on my second Shark Helmet and I think mine is either an RSI or RSF. The first one was stolendespite being locked to my bike. The second was also bought off ebay but at about half the price of the first one. I've worn HJC, Scorpion, another brand.
The Shark is by far the best of the bunch especially at a reasonable price point - $200 or under. Their visor system is simple and sturdy. I will buy another Shark when it is time for another helmet.
A latch broke on my wife's Shark helmet - S600 and the ebay dealer quickly sent me the repair part for free and very quickly.

Two big thumbs up!

The RSI is a very good helmet. In the Shark lineup, the RSR2 and the RSI are the two that really stand out to me (plus the Evoline if you want something of that variety). The S series helmets I wasn't as impressed with (S600/650/900). Sharks do have very good visors, both in the mechanism and in the construction. Nothing like watching the Shark factory rep take a shield and flip it inside out and 180 degrees. The Spec 1R and RSI have a completely different fit, so you took a pretty good chance buying sight unseen on fit. I never understand how people can do that with something as fit specific as a helmet. Heck, I have a couple hundred helmets to try on any given day and I still surprise myself with what I find works best. But I'm glad it works for you. In any case, the RSI is a quality lid and offers a lot of bang for the buck. Plus, it's headshape is fairly neutral so it seems to work for a wider range of riders' head than some other models. So I'd second your recommendation as it being one to put on a short list to check out for those who are in the market for something similar.

It was the proper way to go about things, normally it's best to try one on in a dealership then order it, or just buy it then and there. The price was just too good to pass up, I was more worried it would be some sort of factory second, but it was perfect.

thanks for the write up and link
I've been longing for a new helmet and quiet is HIGH on my priority list.
I may be picking one of these up, and the blue looks like it'll match my FZ1 :thumb:

Oh and how does the fit compair to an HJC? My HJC is a large and fits me pretty good, but man this thing is noisy. I assume its a great deal quieter than an HJC?

does anyone know of a place local to Houston I can try on Shark helmets?

I've had my Shark RSI since 2007, I'm wearing it in my avatar. The first time I tried the RSI I knew I had to have one It's about time for another lid and I'd like another Shark. The RSR 2 is on my list, but I'd like to try on their new models. The S500 Air, S600, S800, S900.

tried one on today at a shop and I'm very glad I did. The XL was too big and the large felt gooooood!
I've found a few cheap elsewhere online that have larges in stock. So maybe this next week I'll pick up the blue and a dark screen :thumb:

It seems most people had the opposite sizing issue with Shark, they claim they run a bit small. What size and brand do you normally wear?

It seems most people had the opposite sizing issue with Shark, they claim they run a bit small. What size and brand do you normally wear?

I wear large in just about every brand I've tried on, the Shark was more snug than my HJC large, but I like a helmet to be a little snug (and its probably about as snug as my HJC was new)

maybe I should try it on again, I'll need to find a place here in Houston though

I'm about to pull the trigger on this helmet. motorcyclecloseouts.com has them for $120, but they have larges in stock. I'll probably go ahead and pick up the dark smoke sheild while I'm at it.

Do you still love it?

I put it off too long and can no longer find my size in the blue for cheap. motorcyclecloseouts.com had the blue in a large for $120 but are now out.
Found it for $160 in blue on another site, but for that I can buy the Guintoli replica, which I think is pretty cool :thumb:

Casque_Shark_RSI_Sylvain_Guintoli_Replica_stpz.jpg

Back