• Welcome to the Two Wheeled Texans community! Feel free to hang out and lurk as long as you like. However, we would like to encourage you to register so that you can join the community and use the numerous features on the site. After registering, don't forget to post up an introduction!

Kendon Motorcycle Lift tested

Wasabi

Reaction score
I have a hard time bending over and kneeling because of previous back and knee surgery. It’s getting to a point that I can hardly stand up after just a few minuets bending over and kneeling. I decided that a lift would help lesson some of the strain on my back and knees when I work on my bike. My recent trip to Mexico where I had to remove my rear wheel four times in one day really did a job on my back and knees. It was the motivation I needed to quit looking and to just buy a lift.

I recently purchased the Kendon Motorcycle Stand –up Lift from cycle gear in Fort Worth Texas. I bought the cruiser version model # BLC107. The lift was at the store so I was able to take it home the same day. I paid 649.00 plus tax $53.62 for a total of $703.61. Not a great price but I have the option to return it if it doesn’t work out.

Space in my garage is limited so one of the features about this lift was that it can be folded up and stand upright in the garage.

So far I give it a grade of “C”.

I have two bikes, KLR650 and Suzuki Vstrom 1000. The first part of the report will focus on the KLR650.

Some features I like about the Kendon Lift.

It folds up and will take up little space
Has both manual pump handle and a air compressor powered lift mechanism
The front wheel chock can be removed.

Some feature I don’t like.

The instruction book has minimal information. It does not include any info about the compressor powered feature.
The chock is not designed to hold the bike up right without tie downs. It makes the loading of the bike a hazard to do with only one person. Most lifts I have used the chock held the tire tight so the bike could be held up right without tie downs.
The wheels that the lift rolls on are very small and look like they won’t last very long. Not very maneuverable in tight spaces.
The lift only has a 90 day warranty. For this amount of money I would expect a better warranty.
It is very awkward raising the lift to upright position because the lift will start to unfold if you don’t do it right.
The hose for the compressor is not located in a position that makes it easy to insure it won’t get in between the scissor rails and be damaged
The Release Valve Assembly that lowers the bike down is awkward to use and can come off the valve stem during the lowering process and cause the bike to fall rapidly to the ground.

So far I have only use the lift to raise the bike. I have not done not any real work on the bike while it was on the lift.

The lift lowered and making it ready to load the bike.
140163807-M.jpg

140163809-M.jpg

What it looks like raised
140163812-M.jpg

With the KLR

140163826-M.jpg

140163828-M.jpg

Some features

To raise and lower the bike the manual lever and release knob are located at the front of the lift.
141828278-M.jpg

There are four tie down hooks two in front two in back.
141798124-M.jpg

141831596-M.jpg

I find that in order to insure that the tie down straps don't come off the tie down connections during lowering the bike that these clip hooks work great.
141831600-M.jpg

When I first tried to lower the lift , the release knob connection was not connected correctly and the bike dropped very fast. After inspection I could see that this was a poor design and that I had to check this often to make sure it was connect before lowering the bike. Also, the way the lift is designed , when raising the bike the front straps will loosen so you must tighten them while raising the bike. Conversely, you must loosen the straps when the bike is lowered. Another reason the clip hooks on the front straps are so nice, they won’t fall off the lift connectors while raising the bike.

The release connector cable was disconnected, it has two small allen screws holding it on.

141836889-M.jpg

One of the features I most wanted was the ability to remove the wheels while on the lift. The instruction book requires that you use their Frame Jack, for an additional $128.00, to remove the tires while the bike is on the lift. I tested a scissor jack to lift the bike and it seemed to work. Here is what it looks like.

141798103-M.jpg

Rear wheel off the lift
141798095-M.jpg

141798099-M.jpg

Front off lift

141798120-M.jpg

The front chocked removed for easy access to wheel

141798132-M.jpg

The lift upright
140163819-M.jpg

Next I test the Vstrom

+1 on the knees and back :doh:

I got a Sear's Professional aluminum lift ($149 on sale) that I like a whole lot better than the steel ones I had been looking at. It is low profile, easy to move around and doesn't take up much space. It came with two extender pieces for taller dirtbikes. Not near as fancy as the one you got but if anyone is thinking of getting a plain jane lift this one is nice.

I had the HF model for over a year, use it almost everyday and absolutely love it. Paid $299 for it. I like it so much I'm going to get a second one. For the price, it is probably the best deal out there.

That looks downright scary! Then add in the scissor jack and I would not want to bump the bike wrong.

Also, the way the lift is designed , when raising the bike the front straps will loosen so you must tighten them while raising the bike. Conversely, you must loosen the straps when the bike is lowered. Another reason the clip hooks on the front straps are so nice, they won’t fall off the lift connectors while raising the bike.

:giveup:

What a feature. Reminds me of why I bailed on a Kendon trailer. Try to load a bike on a dew covered ramp made of tubular powder-coated metal first thing on a hung-over morning. Not pretty.

Kendon stuff is very well built, but seems to need about another 15 minutes of thought during the engineering process. Or at least a rev 2 after a trip out in the big scary real world.

I've been using a Lift Buddy for about 7 years now. My only complaint is that the jack has to be rebuilt from time to time (it starts leaking). I understand the that later versions don't have this problem. It's not as cheap as the HF lift, but I feel that it is better made.

That said, if I were in the market for a lift today, I would look around quite a bit. Lots of companies are now offering nice lift tables for competative prices.

We need more pictures of the various lifts! I really need one given the amount of work that gets done on bikes at our place :ponder:

...and I believe he's referring to the brand. :trust: Personally, I would go with Western Manufacturing for the price and features.

I can't find a link to them any more. The one I find leads to a product overview page that indicates they may not make them anymore.

This is lift with the Vstrom. It was very easy to load the bike, because I worked out all the kinks with the KLR.

142738061-M.jpg

142738080-M.jpg

Example of how high
142738022-M.jpg

Put away
142746316-M.jpg

OK folks , like Scott said , lets see some pics of your lift in action. I would like to see the bike on the lift with one or more of the wheels removed as well as some examples how you stow it away when not being used.

Here here, as someone pushin 50 with 6 bikes in the garage currently I'd like to see those pics as well. How it stores, how it lifts, how to get a tire off on it.

I needed new rear tire on the Vstrom and decided to try the lift. It worked great. The fastest I have ever removed and repalced a rear tire on the VStrom. Why did I wait so long to get a lift. Now I remember , money , garage space, available lifts and my knees and back did not hurt as much.

My next test will be the front tires. I'll post when it happens.

150151435-M.jpg

150151450-M.jpg

150154324-M.jpg

I needed new rear tire on the Vstrom and decided to try the lift. It worked great. The fastest I have ever removed and repalced a rear tire on the VStrom. Why did I wait so long to get a lift. Now I remember , money , garage space, available lifts and my knees and back did not hurt as much.

150151435-M.jpg

150151450-M.jpg

150154324-M.jpg

That gargage is way to orginised! Labels on the cabinets! Cabinets ? You would freak in my garage, in fact I freak in my garage. Don't put anything down you might loose it kind of freak :lol2:

150154324-M.jpg

Far kernel, :eek2: he's got a tyre changin' tool too, but I betcha still have to do the work eh?:thumb:
I still use OEM BMW 6 inch tyre levers, from axle nut off to axle nut on it takes me an hour to change a tyre, but I could do with a beadbreaker and a wheel stand! I also have a lack of money, space, and money. and Labels, and cupboards.
Dave C, try putting your tool back on the tool roll when you've finished with it that moment.
:rider: anyway, keep the shiny side up!

But look! That 1x6 is carelessly placed at an angle!

I'll spend a day trying to make my garage (or at least workbench) look like TxMedics...a week later chaos has returned. Sharing (toy) storage space with a 3 and 4 year old might contribute to the problem.

A lift is in my short term plans for sure. Most likely it will have to be like Wasabi's since I lack dedicated floor space. Rhonda has steadfastly refused to give up her half of the garage.

We have the Kendon just like Wasabi's - but I don't like that it's a rail instead of a table. Granted, we don't have to lose as much space to the lift but it seems all the tools, nuts, bolts, metal shavings, cut zip ties, wire ends, etc. all end up in the rail. Major clean-up before the bike can be lowered and dismounted. We even picked up a rolling tool cart so things would go on top of it instead of in the rail, but the tool cart is too loaded with its own crap to be of any use at the lift. :doh:

I was nervous seeing the Strom go up on it, but it was sturdy once in the air.

I had the HF 1000lb lift for about two years and lifted everything from dirt bikes to an ST1300 without any problems the whole time I had it. I then bought a '09 Goldwing and quickly found it would not lift it. I sold it and was looking at the 1200 lb HF model but you can't buy one out of the store. It has to be "ordered". What a pain. I'm into immediate gratification and want it now so I'm still looking. For the price you can't beat the HF model in my opinion. I paid $275.00 on sale 2 years ago and sold it for $275.00 last month.

Attachments

• New Tire 5.jpg
    New Tire 5.jpg
    36.6 KB · Views: 931
  • New Tire 1.jpg
    New Tire 1.jpg
    61.3 KB · Views: 1,187
What's with the towel under the jack? Are you thinking about returning the lift?

141798095-M.jpg

I have a Kendon lift and an Easyrizer. The kendon is good for general maint and the Easyrizer has been perfect for my Buell XB9S when removing wheels for tire replacement.

I am not sure about removing a wheel on the kenton, I just do not like what you have to do using a scissor jack!

ETA

I have the removable shelves that attach to the side of the rail so there is someplace to set stuff. You cannot attach them until lifted and they must be taken off to lower.

ALSO... the jack now leaks down so I need to rebuild it or replace it, and the remote valve release does not work so well.

Also the rear ramp extender is difficult to remove if the bike length puts the rear tire too close to it.

Overall, I do not have room for a platform lift nor do I want one in the middle of the floor all the time, so I have to say I do not regret buying it and intend to keep it.

Back