• Welcome to the Two Wheeled Texans community! Feel free to hang out and lurk as long as you like. However, we would like to encourage you to register so that you can join the community and use the numerous features on the site. After registering, don't forget to post up an introduction!

KTM 390 Adventure

• Thread starter Thread starter Jarrett
  • Start date Start date

This seems like the bike people have been asking for a long time.

I'm certainly interested.
Yessir! Now if a "R" model is not too far behind, this will be a game changer!

Looks cool but I've heard that the 390 Duke has a bunch of issues. Good for light offroad just like the wee Versys.

I wish KTM made away with their insect looking headlights.

Looks cool but I've heard that the 390 Duke has a bunch of issues. Good for light offroad just like the wee Versys.

I wish KTM made away with their insect looking headlights.
I've got a 390 off at College right now. It has about 4k miles on it and climbing.

It hasn't been flawless but not bad either. The cooling fan failed and would have been an expensive part but forums already had solved it with a $40 replacement part from Amazon with ball bearings and very small modification to make it work.

Other than that, it's been an awesome little bike.

I'd totally be interested in a 390 Adventure R. I'd want spoked wheels though. I ride too hard on rocks to try that stuff on a cast rim.

Good price, but heavier than a DRZ and small aluminum wheels. I was hoping for a bit more.

33.6" seat height sounds perfect for the inseam challenged. The 690 Adventure's 36"+ perch is just too much.

19" cast wheel is perfect for tarmac + light softroading running tubeless tires. That's what this bike is meant for. If you want a plated dirtbike - 350 and 500 EXC.

The legendary KTM reliability does worry me a bit.

The Big Four should be making this kind of "mid displacement" ADVs, instead of the 250cc's.

By comparison:

The 2020 Honda CB500X is $500 more, 55 lbs heavier, 100 more cc's, a smoother parallel twin engine and probably quite a bit more reliable.

But it lacks all the fancy bits like TFT, quickshifter, etc.
Doesn't have as much suspension travel, but that might not be important to most. I'm looking for more travel. When I ride my Scrambler off road that's honestly the only thing that bothers me.

Not ground clearance.....travel....I'm constantly bottoming out the shocks. At the speeds the guys like to ride, it's quite exhausting and big bumps actually jar the old kidneys.

Alot of bikes have alot of "issues".

The ktms and huskys around me seem to be fine
I agree, the KTM mashing wears thin especially from folks that don't even own them. With modern bikes very rare we pull anything out of the woods not running. Numerous s/x championships, almost every offroad championship belongs to them. Go to an offroad race see what's lining up. Pretty good for unreliable machines. smh

What do you think the top speed of this is? What do you think its max realistic cruising speed is?
Don't know answer but interesting question, I don't care about top speed but cruise speed makes a big difference to me.

Google says top speed on Duke 390 is 104 mph, so maybe 95 mph for this one?

Cruising speed? Depends how much you like your molars :)
It's actually really smooth at speed. Small displacement twins don't vibrate that much in my experience.

Back