• Welcome to the Two Wheeled Texans community! Feel free to hang out and lurk as long as you like. However, we would like to encourage you to register so that you can join the community and use the numerous features on the site. After registering, don't forget to post up an introduction!

Making a WR250F street legal

Reaction score
I have a WR250F that I want to make street legal. I was told that you can get a kit to do this. Is this true and what is the best way to go about making it street legal?

Check with Baja Designs, they probably have a kit for your bike.

The easiest way to get one street legal is with the use of the complete kit and then follow thru with the insurance, inspection and title.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Yes there are kits out there. Here is one that a lot of folks use...
https://www.bajadesigns.com/NET/C-MCYCLE/MOTORCYCLE+PRODUCTS

I just made my KTM street legal and chose to do it on the cheap rather than order the whole kit. I bought a trail tech x2 head light and trail tech hi / lo switch for the light (I really dig the light and its not exactly cheap) I did buy the baja designs led tail light that has the license plate light built in, and baja designs brake switch to actuate the brake light off the rear brake. Cheap MSR dual sport mirror and an auto zone horn. Thats about it. Took it to an inspection place and told them I needed a "green sheet" to get a TX street legal title. There are a few threads on here about plating bikes. Cheers...Jeff

I did that to my 2003 WR250F. I used a kit from procycle with some extra parts I got from my local Autozone. The stock headlight is plenty bright and has a dual filament bulb. You just need an extra wire to enable the high beam on it. The rear light is the same. you just need to run an extra wire from a brake light switch to get the second (brighter) filament to light. I bought their mid level wiring package that had the handlebar switch and brake switch. I added a license plate bracket I found on ebay and a license plate light from autozone.

If you are comfortable doing some wiring my method is the cleanest way. Otherwise, a full blow kit is the easiest way. I like keeping the stock headlight because it is brighter than some of the aftermarket ones. Check to see that what ever kit you get uses the stock headlight.

Also, you may need to have DOT / dual sport tires on your bike to get your green sheet. But that may depend on the inspector or shop you use.

I have dual sported two WR450's, a 04 and an 07. I used the Baja Designs kit on the 04 and the Trick Dual Sports on the 07. I found the Trick Dual Sports to be superior.

http://www.trickdualsport.com/

The owner is a retired NASA engineer who is into dirtbiking and could not find a kit to his liking for his KLR and so built one himself. Once his riding buds saw it they got him to make them ones, and a business was born.

It is not difficult to get it installed. In Texas you do not need blinkers, though I have them on mine. You are 'supposed' to have DOT street approved tires, but I would be absolutely shocked if an inspector at the local auto shop thought to check.

As stated above, get the kit on and get it insured, then take it to anyplace that does vehicle inspections and get it inspected. Have them give you the 'blue form' (they will know what this is). Take the blue form, the insurance, the current title to the tax office and you will walk out with plates. If you get someone that tells you they can't do that, ask for the supervisor. They don't do it often so some of the folks may not know how to make it happen, but if you have the blue form, insurance and a title then plates should be issued.

Thanks guys. All this info is a big help. I think I will get online and order the stuff I need. Maybe in a week or so it will be street legal :mrgreen:

So the Wr250F is now on the street - woot woot. But now it needs to be re-geared. I want to go up on the front sproket, how many teeth do you think I can go up and still clear the case?

Look at the street model WR250 - X. It's probably geared the highest from the factory, with the street tires and all. So those should fit yours.

My DRZ 400 SM had 14/42 where the dirt DRZ 400 is like 13/48. Big difference in Sumo gearing. 100 MPH on the SM gearing, 91 or so dirt gearing.

Can't help with the clearence question but gen rule of thumb is 1 tooth on the front equals 4 on the rear. So a little bit goes a long way.

Street model is a totally different bike and engine. The transmission ratios I suspect will be different so I wouldn't use the number of teeth on it as a basis.

On my 250f I only went up one on the front. That made it still rideable offroad. It was fine 55mph and under steady speed with that and would still go much faster, but I didn't like to rev it that much for long. So passing it would go over 70 easy. I never tried to gear for higher road speed because I still wanted it to act like a dirt bike offroad.

But if you really want to, you and drop a couple of teeth off the rear too and not have to worry about clearance up front. Loose rule of thumb is one on the front is like 3 off the rear. You can calculated it out and see it's close enough.

I'm certainly no expert but that's what I've been told hence the "rule of thumb". At any rate, one tooth on the front will make a noteable difference, on the back not so much.

Back