• Welcome to the Two Wheeled Texans community! Feel free to hang out and lurk as long as you like. However, we would like to encourage you to register so that you can join the community and use the numerous features on the site. After registering, don't forget to post up an introduction!

MarkyMark's 2024 Hobo Adventure

Reaction score
[@mods: This probably won't include much Texas, but will involve Texans and motorcycles. Let me know if not allowed, I'll delete asap]
Some various links:
Youtube channel, when I get enough service to upload
Instagram, where I am updating every day, although you need an account to see the "stories" part

Listing my gear here for the curious, skip for the story
  • Sony A6600 Mirrorless Camera
  • DJI Mini 2 Drone
  • GoPro 7 Black
  • Davinci Resolve for video editing
  • Adobe Lightroom for photo editing (mostly)

In November of 2023, I was notified that I would be shoved out of my desk job, as many other engineers have been in the last year or so. At the time, I pushed myself to immediately get back into the industry; because I knew as soon as decent weather hit, I would end up flinging myself across the country (...again)

Well, spoiler alert, a million applications and a bunch of failed interviews later, things started to warm up. Not in Colorado where I lived at that time, but the deserts of the southwest. I've packed my life in a car more times than I'd like to admit, this time would be no different.

DSC06454 (1).jpg

So, without further ado....let's start off with a little-known desert riding destination

MOAB
Per my lack of income, I'll be sticking to BLM or USFS land, aka dispersed camping. Mid-April, I set up camp along Behind the Rocks Rd. I had a nice view for coffee in the morning.

20240426_164916.jpg

The first free day I had, I hit up Onion Creek and then wandered along some typical Moab trails beyond camp to an unmarked overlook over Kane Creekhttps://maps.app.goo.gl/Yx17oSqvTipmcArZA

onion.jpg

kaneoverlookfortwt.jpg

Given the time of year, I was unsurprised, but welcome, to find out that some dual sport guys from Houston were on their way up. Eager to have some riding friends, and also a possible shower, I linked up with the group of ~7 mostly "unhurried" riders on lighter dirtbikes, plus a Ducati....desert X?

First day was Schafer trail plus some sightseeing. No hiccups, easy day of riding and views around every corner.

edit-8.jpg

DSC06052.jpg

DSC06097.jpg

DSC06065.jpg

Second day was Hurrah pass and chicken corner, to start. No hiccups, a couple drops and an interesting sandy corner, views for days.

20240428_103917.jpg

20240428_134031.jpg

20240428_110334.jpg

20240428_134029.jpg

On the way back from chicken corner, three of us split off for Kane Creek, somewhat unaware of what lied ahead. The rock steps and deep sand was a bit much on the T7, but was still the most fun I had in Moab.

Last riding day was white rim trail. I didn't do enough research on this trail before we set out (fyi, it requires reservations), I did not realize how long it was. Something like 110 miles of dirt? I think we ended with roughly 160 miles total. On my poorly tuned, poorly maintained T7, I was limping on fumes to get to the nearest gas station at the end. Still an absolute bucket list item for any off-roader, and I'm ashamed to say I didn't take many good pictures.

edit-11.jpg

edit-12.jpg

On the last day, we elected to hop off the bikes and take a quick drive around Arches National Park. I suggest making some time for the hike in the back of the park, as most of the arches are on an 8(?) mile walking loop. Reviewing the weather, I saw that the night temps were dropping into the low 30's, so I decided to move on to Page, Arizona. To be continued....

P.s., I should note, I am still in the middle of this journey, at the moment I am six weeks into homelessness and currently in Blythe, CA. I'm hoping to catch up to current times here in the next couple days.

Last edited:
Thanks all 😊

On the journey south, I passed through monument valley. It's a bit surreal, and oddly enough, I kept being reminded of the movie "Cars". Just random rocky towers in the middle of an open plain, including a particularly famous skyline...

edit-17.jpg

Onto Page Arizona, I found a spot along Ferry Swale Rd, or Wildcat Tank Rd, right on the Utah/Arizona border. There's no cover above the knees in this area, it's windy and dusty, but it is right next to a gas station. First up, I had to scratch off a bucket list item that had been eating at me for years....

DSC06710.jpg

DSC06746.jpg

edit-14.jpg

Antelope Canyon, aka a photographer's dream. I did the lower canyon, as it is cheaper and supposedly less crowded - but it was plenty busy when I went. When you see pictures of antelope canyon, it is usually taken from the bottom looking almost straight up, that's where the lines and shapes come from. If you are a photographer, I suggest going early or late in the day so you don't get awkward blown-out highlights. Horseshoe Bend is also around the corner.

20240502_191838.jpg

Page is also within decent reach of Zion and Bryce Canyon NP's. I think Bryce was a bit of a stretch so I splurged on a motel (which also meant a shower). You can also easily reach the north rim of Grand Canyon, but that was still closed for the "winter" (Late April)

DSC06903.jpg

DSC06950.jpg

I do really like Zion's bus system, allegedly Angel's Landing is the must-do hike, but requires reservations or permits or something that I didn't have. And the narrows were closed. So it gets a 3/5 for me.

DSC07135.jpg

DSC07169.jpg

DSC07185.jpg

Bryce gets 5/5 stars from me, absolutely incredible and wasn't too crowded when I went. A snowstorm did ruin a couple views towards the upper elevations.

edit-5.jpg

Last thing I'll mention for Page is Alstrom Point. Glen Canyon is a great place for the various boat tours that I had no budget for, but if you have a little bit of dirt capability you can drive through an ~hour of gravel road and sandy double track to get to an amazing overlook of the canyon. Unfortunately, I mistimed it, so the lighting was a little weird, but amazing nonetheless.

edit-15.jpg

edit-16.jpg

And after four or five days there, I was tired of the windy campsite and moved on to Sedona, AZ.

Beautiful pics. When I lived in Boulder CO, we went to Moab area annually in late May and enjoyed the free BLM lands camping routine with our toyhaulers, much of which now requires permits as well. You nicely captured many of the must do stuff everyone needs to see before its turned over to the bicyclists. The Dollhouse trail is a great one as well, but its down by Hite, where we would ride from Hanksville off to ultimately end up in Hite and run pavement back to Hanksville.

Thanks 😊 I swear I'm trying to continue this, I'll have a reprieve from camping the next week, hopefully I get up to speed. Especially the bit about hitting Bonneville Salt Flats....

"I do really like Zion's bus system, allegedly Angel's Landing is the must-do hike, but requires reservations or permits or something that I didn't have. And the narrows were closed. So it gets a 3/5 for me."

The West Rim Trail gives essentially the same views as Angel's Landing and no reservations. The only thing missed is the chain along a knife edge.
1718926223626.png

I hope the job hunt goes well. If I could get fired and then go on your trip, it would almost be worth it. Nice pics. I especially liked your views of Antelope Canyon.

Alright, back at it -

Moving on to Sedona, this is where it felt like I really got into the "adventure" aspect. Sedona of course has it's own tourism, but there's plenty to do that's out of the way.

I find the area fascinating, in that Flagstaff and Sedona are right next to each other, but there's a couple thousand feet of elevation separating them, and it's obvious by the relative ecosystems. You can see this in action in the hour or so it takes to get along 89A, fun little road.

1721184432826.png

DSC07496.jpg

DSC07341.jpg

There are a handful of dispersed camping areas along Forest Rd 525. These sites are close together, and with the proximity to a place like Sedona, I wasn't a fan. But I finally had cover taller than my knees, and the portapotty was convenient.

There's only a couple notable "routes", per se, in the Sedona area, which generally give a beautiful view of the red rock valley. (Not an official name)

Schnebly hill is mostly easy with a slightly chunky hill climb -
DSC07376.jpg

DSC07364.jpg

Broken Arrow Trl, or Morgan Rd, or I'm not sure - ends up at chicken point, I took a wrong turn and ended up at a fantastic viewpoint -

DSC07722.jpg

DSC07714.jpg

Devil's bridge is a neat one, and with a little bit of skill/ground clearance, you can skip 75% of the hike that would be required for most people.

DSC07467.jpg

And I finally hit the Grand Canyon! It's a big hole. Neat. 2/5. I found the most interesting part was the viewpoints scattered along the road the leaves going east out of the park. Less crowds and the views change every few miles.

DSC07404.jpg

DSC07427.jpg

Last bit for Sedona specifically is Fossil Creek. This one was odd, it required a permit (I planned ahead for once), and they checked it twice on the way in, gave me several warnings about heat, exhaustion etc. Then it was an easy walk to a waterfall, with plenty of families and kids? Weird.

DSC07658.jpg

So, after a couple days still stuck in the desert, I decided to try and finally find some trees this time around. There's an area that starts along Forest Rd 535, with a million dispersed campsites. As you go farther back along the road, you trade solitude for cell service. I spent several evenings hopping on the bike and riding in random directions.
DSC07904.jpg

DSC07758.jpg

DSC07744.jpg

Alllll the way at the back of this area is a cliff face overlooking the previously mentioned valley. There are campsites right on the edge, but I didn't feel like dealing with the hour+ it takes to get back there from the highway. But it was tempting.....
DSC07774.jpg

DSC07863.jpg

VideoCapture_20240518-213140.jpg

Also, last note for the Flagstaff area, right beside Sunset Crater Volcano National Monument, there's an OHV area where you can ride in volcanic cinder. Which....is basically sand. I noped out of the OHV area but caught plenty of the cinder in another random forest road, that was a very interesting experience.

DSC07901.jpg

DSC07890.jpg

After Flagstaff, I moved onto the small town of Alpine, AZ, to explore "Devil's Highway". And no, this time it wasn't just lazy naming - according to an old lady hosting a lodge in the middle of nowhere, the road itself used to be Route 666.

P.s. - This one is obviously shorter, I'm going to try to keep each update short so I actually....yaknow, post them :P
Also, I started to use the drone a lot more around this time, I need to find a way to include short videos, maybe convert them to gif's

Always great to follow your adventures Mark. You inspire me to 'take the leap' on motorcycle travel!

Back