• Welcome to the Two Wheeled Texans community! Feel free to hang out and lurk as long as you like. However, we would like to encourage you to register so that you can join the community and use the numerous features on the site. After registering, don't forget to post up an introduction!

Modifying my KTM 1290 Super Duke R

OldTLSDoug

Forum Supporter
Reaction score
I just installed an Evotecvh tail tidy. Very nicely made, everything fits fine, except the signal wires are short for the US version, don't know why, but they are, thank you KTM. Anyway, so I added 2.5 in (10 cm) of wire to each light. You need to think out where you add it because the license plate light runs through the same channel so don't be lumpy.

Anyway, here are some before after followed by some step by step stuff. Great tail tidy, nicely made.

IMG_2089.jpg

IMG_2119.jpg

IMG_2090.jpg

IMG_2120.jpg

IMG_2118.jpg

IMG_2122.jpg

Looks good. I had to add wire on my Camhead GS when I installed Jesse luggage. The signals had to be relocated but adding extensions was fairly easy with some mini-blade connections and shrink wrap.

If you look carefully, Jasen, I already eliminated the passenger pegs, the tank decals and the fork reflectors. The full Akrapovic Ti exhaust is on order and I have already paid for the install and remap. I am looking into rearsets and racing levers. Also considered a lot of Carbon Fiber stuff before it dries up for them. Lots of new stuff, just got to decide what is worth the cash. We need to get that Squid Squad ride organized. I could try to get Chad and Tye on the Ruckus and SR.

P1060131.jpg

P1060201.jpg

P1060119.jpg

IMG_1417.jpg

Last edited:
Not that I'm even remotely interested, but how much are you asking for the ruckus?

If it turns out to be a no go with Jasen, I might be interested Doug. Love that tail tidy. Evotech makes some nice stuff.

Evotech built a nice piece. I need to ride, but the almost 9 in of rain slowed the riding down a bit.

OldTLSDoug,
Took delivery of the brother to your 1290 today.
Never owned a KTM before. Do you have to get
the first service at KTM dealer? Looks like a oil
and filter change although I did see some oil
screens and magnets in the owners manual
that looked a little different. Also it says not over
6500 RPM for 620 miles. Is that what you did?
On most of my bikes i keep it 60-80% of max
RPM for 3 or 400 miles, change the oil and filter
and then ride it the way it is going to be ridden,
Would appreciate any advice....

OldTLSDoug,
Almost forget, who are you insured with?
Was with Geico but they tripled my rates
on my old bike (FZ09) so on renewel I am
going to Dairyland 7/17/14. Have not had
the courage to call them yet for a qoute.
My last bike was 40 a month full coverage
(For yearly policy) so I am hoping it isn't
going to double like from my Buell 1125CR
to a Ninja 1000 a few years back...

I have Progressive. I think it is $542.00 per yr. I am 55 yrs old. 1K deductible, no medical.

I just did my first oil change, I just bought the kit, added the oil and off we went. Not much to it. I went on the forum to get instructions to reset. I just ran the thing to the shift light, and that pretty much was where they had it set. When you reset after the service the shift light goes up to 10K or so. I had no problem running break in RPM and as this is my 4th KTM their break in works fine.

Welcome to the club, I went from an RC8R and a 990 Super Duke to this thing. It really is better than both IMHO. Love to ride it, get high 30's in mileage so far. I have an Akrapovic exhaust on order. It continues and I love riding.

Again, we can do our own service, KTM allows that.

Thanks for the info. The shift
Lite coming on at 6500rpms
does kinda surprise me. Where
do you buy "the kit" and how
much does it cost? Glad to
hear your insurance is so low.
Do you know if the slack the
throttle can be adjusted. Mine
has a lot. Also, you reset your
"Service Now" light by reading in
the owners manual or going to
the Super Duke Forum? Sorry