• Welcome to the Two Wheeled Texans community! Feel free to hang out and lurk as long as you like. However, we would like to encourage you to register so that you can join the community and use the numerous features on the site. After registering, don't forget to post up an introduction!

Neat little trailer for dirt bikes

woodsguy

Ride Red
Reaction score
First Name
Rob
Last Name
Vaughan

It'd be neat if he marketed this for a decent price, sleep in it and a little kitchen out the back!

In Texas, add an AC unit . Sell for 5K and make millions.

Looks like it might be big enough for my dog. Some AC and he'd be glamping in style. Now if he could only drive the truck himself...

That's interesting...about 2000 BTU for $1400. And the solar panel idea is good.

The spec show it to be quieter than what even office noise is which is great too.

The best thing is that a lot of places to camp don't allow generators to be run after a certain time. No Gennie required.

That's a cool trailer. I like that it's up on 31" tires for clearance. Downside for me is the height makes loading the bike trickier but...still a cool trailer.

Interesting concept. With the bike loaded, seems like a lot of tongue weight. Not sure what that SUV was in the pics, but a lot of unibody car-based SUVs have class III hitches rated for 400 lbs tongue weight. That set up would be pushing that limit.

It would help if the single axle is positioned a bit more forward. Not too much so as to cause sway at Hwy speeds without the bike, but just enough to balance the load better with the bike.

The tonge
Interesting concept. With the bike loaded, seems like a lot of tongue weight. Not sure what that SUV was in the pics, but a lot of unibody car-based SUVs have class III hitches rated for 400 lbs tongue weight. That set up would be pushing that limit.

It would help if the single axle is positioned a bit more forward. Not too much so as to cause sway at Hwy speeds without the bike, but just enough to balance the load better with the bike.
Exactly what I was thinking. With a bike probably looking at 400 plus tongue weight and that rules out a lot of small tow vehicles. With the axel so far back I don't see a load leveler helping much. My v6 Tacoma would not like that much tongue weight. My Casita is about 250 tongue I think but has electric brakes. The rear would be low and front up. It likes its weight over the axle.

Easy solution. 4 stroke on the front, 2 stroke on the back. Axle can stay where it is.;-)

The internet is full of such projects, so do some research and learn from the mistakes of others. To clear the bike when turning sharp, and when backing, the hitch assembly will need to be extended beyond normal. This will provide more leverage at the hitch so tongue weight might not be so bad as one might expect, a good thing. A longer tongue will also extend the trailer wheelbase, which takes away a lot of sway. Another good thing. I'd still invest in a friction sway control if intending to tow with a relatively small vehicle.

Equalizer bars would still level the entire rig if properly installed and adjusted, even with the axle moved rearward, but on smaller vehicles the front axle weight rating and/or tire capacities are sometimes easily exceeded, so calculate carefully. Tow vehicle axle weight and tire weight ratings have put the whoas on several rig combinations people wanted when I worked for a trailer manufacturer. Some things just can't be done safely.

As for air conditioning, get a small, cheap window unit from Walmart ($115), mount it down low on the back wall to help with the hitch load, and a few deep cycle batteries ($100 each off brands with core charges) just in front of the back bumper to run it when no solar or shore is available. Build a small duct to carry the cooled air up the back wall and use the roof to disperse it. Cold air in tiny spaces can be annoying if blowing right on you.

You can build a small but effective generator just for batteries from a lawn engine ($100 new) and a high output car or truck alternator (105 amp Chevy 1-wire with built in regulator, $105 with shipping). I've seen such home made rigs that cost little more than time to collect junk parts from wrecks and such. You can mount a small generator back next to the batteries. More help with the hitch load.

Those big tires will probably carry the extra weight no problem, but you may need a heavier axle and springs. Heavier axle and springs costs less than equalizer bars by about $150, and that pays for your Walmart AC. Of course, you'll pretty much have to build the trailer yourself or have it custom built, and the price difference for a heavier axle and springs is just a few dollars. You can shop around and get a complete axle and springs with hubs for well under $200. If I was going to tow with a small vehicle, I'd look for electric brakes. 2000 pound axle, springs, brakes, hubs--everything under the frame except wheels and tires, can be had for about $350. Just weld it up and mount the wheels.

You will never regret investing in excellent axle, brake, and hitch systems. Sadly, you will regret not making such investments when looking at your rig without good systems upside down in a ditch. The smaller, lighter the tow vehicle, the more critical system quality becomes.

Back