• Welcome to the Two Wheeled Texans community! Feel free to hang out and lurk as long as you like. However, we would like to encourage you to register so that you can join the community and use the numerous features on the site. After registering, don't forget to post up an introduction!

New chain tight after back from mechanic - crf 300l

Reaction score
ok hold it not your standard chain questions - at least I have never heard this.

Got bike back from mechanic, new chain and sprockets. Mechanic returned it to me with an extra tight chain, much tigher than honda specs his reasoning is as follows;

- the rear shock spring is worn
- it compresses too low ( due to above )
- if the chain is at honda spec it will be too loose (due to above)
- the rollers/bearings in the case will wear/be ruined (due to above)

I feel the chain will just instantly wear like this, becoming loose so it defeats his points.... thats my experience.

(I normally do my own maintainence, maybe first time using a mechanic in mylife besides @sanderjavant on the trails @Kshaw is in the garage )

*(honda manual states bike in N with kickstand down)

Not sure of your specs but the tightest point should be when the swing arm, front and rear sprockets are all lined up straight. If you start out tight while on the sidestand then it'll be way too tight at the above point. Not healthy for any part involved. Am I missing something?

This is why no one works on my bikes but me.
I'm as close as I can be to this. Try my best to get independent help when I can't do something. And some things I just don't want to tackle.

Last edited:
I'm as close as I can be to this. Try my hest to get independent help when I can't do something. And some things I just don't want to tackle.
I didn't really want to handle the valve adjustment on my Africa Twin, but it beat the alternative of paying over $1k to a shop and wonder whether the work was performed properly or even at all.

Having been a M/C the last half of my life this kind of stuff distresses me. Professiomalism is hard to find and seemingly worse in the motorcycle industry.
Smoky
Spent the first half as an aircraft mechanic.

Back